Timelapse of table

Old November 19th 11, 06:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Conway[_2_]

Default Timelapse of table

"Sandman" wrote in message
So I want to make a timelapse movie of me drawing, and I will be
drawing on paper on a table. I have a DSLR and I was wondering if you
knew about a good way to mount it above the paper?

I have two tripods and putting them on the table may be a bit
cumbersome but it's possible, but I don't seem to be able to zoom
out/move the camera far up enough without seeing the tripod in frame.
Not a huge problem per se, but I would prefer a mounting solution that
works without seeing it of course.

Any ideas?

What do you want to include in the photo? If you want to include yourself
drawing, just put the tripod on the floor with a suffieiently wide angle to
cover you plus your artwork. You will problably need a tripod that will get
you high enough to angle downward to show the artwork plus yourself. If you
need to correct for distortion beause of the wide angle, you most likely can
do that in photoshop or with the plugins such as PTLens..

Otherwise, you may just have to clone out the tripod legs if you go the
table mount route.

Old November 19th 11, 06:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Frank S

On 2011-11-19 04:51 , Sandman wrote:
So I want to make a timelapse movie of me drawing, and I will be
drawing on paper on a table. I have a DSLR and I was wondering if you
knew about a good way to mount it above the paper?

I have two tripods and putting them on the table may be a bit
cumbersome but it's possible, but I don't seem to be able to zoom
out/move the camera far up enough without seeing the tripod in frame.
Not a huge problem per se, but I would prefer a mounting solution that
works without seeing it of course.

Any ideas?

Two tripod legs on the floor, one on the table (shorter of course).

Well, in my testing, the three tripod legs were on the table and at
their shortest, and the area to photograph was in between two legs,
yet still they would show up in the frame. One leg at its shortest
would probably be even worse, but I like your thinking

I suppose if your tripod head allows you to point the camera straight up,
you could suspend it all from the ceiling? Or the wall?

--
Frank ess

Old November 19th 11, 06:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Irwin

Sandman wrote:

I'm not sure I understand what a reversible column would be, and how
to check if I can use it? Sorry

Based on the picture of your tripod, I would try to see if I could
take the cap off the bottom of the central column of the tripod,
loosen the knob holding the central column in place and then pull
the central column up out of the tripod. Then insert the column
upside down into the bottom of the apex of the tripod.

If the cap on the bottom of your tripod central column comes off,
this will probably work. The advantage is that since your camera
is now a bit lower than your tripod legs, the legs won't show
when pointing down. You may need to be careful about lighting
to keep tripod leg shadows out of the picture.

Peter.

Old November 19th 11, 07:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

Sandman writes:

So I want to make a timelapse movie of me drawing, and I will be
drawing on paper on a table. I have a DSLR and I was wondering if you
knew about a good way to mount it above the paper?

I have two tripods and putting them on the table may be a bit
cumbersome but it's possible, but I don't seem to be able to zoom
out/move the camera far up enough without seeing the tripod in frame.
Not a huge problem per se, but I would prefer a mounting solution that
works without seeing it of course.

Any ideas?

A boom mounted on the tripod (or across two tripods) could put the
camera directly over the paper and far away from the legs.

The cheapest solution I can think of that meets my standards of neatness
is one Bogen Superclamp or equivalent. Now, support a scrap piece of
pipe or lumber of suitable size or something across above the work area
with suitable quantities of Gaffer's tape (or duct tape if you don't
have to worry about the finish on anything), and mount camera below it
using the clamp. A new Superclamp was $36 last time I bought one, and
they're amazingly flexible and secure. Look in the studio lighting
sections of stores and catalogs.

You could get about the same effect with one of those "gorilla pods" with
the bendy legs made of balls. Wrapping the legs around the cross-beam
would let the camera hang below pointing down. It wouldn't be as stable
or as secure.

In my own office, I'd just have the superclamp grip the edge of the
shelf that's conveniently over my workspace. Sometimes the best hack is
very specific to the space.

If you've got a shelf up there, you could also have the tripod lie on
the shelf (legs not spread), probably duct-taped down, with the head
sticking out off the edge supporting the camera.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Old November 19th 11, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 17:54:18 +0000 (UTC), Peter Irwin
wrote:

Sandman wrote:

I'm not sure I understand what a reversible column would be, and how
to check if I can use it? Sorry

Based on the picture of your tripod, I would try to see if I could
take the cap off the bottom of the central column of the tripod,
loosen the knob holding the central column in place and then pull
the central column up out of the tripod. Then insert the column
upside down into the bottom of the apex of the tripod.

If the cap on the bottom of your tripod central column comes off,
this will probably work. The advantage is that since your camera
is now a bit lower than your tripod legs, the legs won't show
when pointing down. You may need to be careful about lighting
to keep tripod leg shadows out of the picture.

If the cap on the botom of the central column comes off you may find
that there is a screw-mounting which will enable you to hang your
camera from the bottom of the column. Then you can extend the legs and
hopefully get the tripod out of the picture.

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old November 19th 11, 10:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike[_25_]

On 19/11/2011 4:51 AM, Sandman wrote:
So I want to make a timelapse movie of me drawing, and I will be
drawing on paper on a table. I have a DSLR and I was wondering if you
knew about a good way to mount it above the paper?

I have two tripods and putting them on the table may be a bit
cumbersome but it's possible, but I don't seem to be able to zoom
out/move the camera far up enough without seeing the tripod in frame.
Not a huge problem per se, but I would prefer a mounting solution that
works without seeing it of course.

Any ideas?

In the old days we used a copystand. You can also use a tripod boom arm
such as this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ssory_Arm.html

I would suggest a counterweight to balance the weight. Other similar
items exist from other makers. Often sold a macro arms, etc.

Mike
Old November 19th 11, 11:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 09:36:58 -0800, "Frank S" wrote:
:
: "Sandman" wrote in message
: ...
: In article ,
: Alan Browne wrote:
:
: On 2011-11-19 04:51 , Sandman wrote:
[...]

The OP wants to take time-lapse pictures of himself drawing. The setup you
propose would seem to make that operation geometrically impossible. :^)

Bob
Old November 19th 11, 11:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Conway[_2_]

"Sandman" wrote in message
So I want to make a timelapse movie of me drawing, and I will be
drawing on paper on a table. I have a DSLR and I was wondering if you
knew about a good way to mount it above the paper?

I have two tripods and putting them on the table may be a bit
cumbersome but it's possible, but I don't seem to be able to zoom
out/move the camera far up enough without seeing the tripod in frame.
Not a huge problem per se, but I would prefer a mounting solution that
works without seeing it of course.

Any ideas?

Did I misunderstand or something? It seems to me the OP wants to take a
series of photos of himself doing the artwork as it progresses. (timelapse)
A copystand would be fine for the artwork, but will not include the artist.
My previous comment about a floor standing tripod with a somewhat wide angle
lens from high enough to include both the artist and the artwork seems to be
what's required. If the tripod won't go high enough, you could always stand
it on encyclopedias or some other solid extension! good luck!

Old November 19th 11, 11:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Conway[_2_]

"tony cooper" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 17:02:39 -0500, "Tim Conway"
wrote:

"Sandman" wrote in message
[...]

The OP hasn't been particularly clear, but I get the impression that
the timelapse is of what is drawn as the drawing emerges. The OP
would not be in the image, or only the OP's hands would be in the
image. Hard to tell.

I'm guessing something like this:
http://www.neatorama.com/2010/06/11/...e-pen-drawing/

Cool. I see what you're saying. A copystand would work fine for that.
Probably not necessary to show complete artist. :-)

Old November 20th 11, 12:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Frank S

"Robert Coe" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 09:36:58 -0800, "Frank S" wrote:
:
: "Sandman" wrote in message
: ...
: In article ,
: Alan Browne wrote:
:
[...]

Nice pounce Bobby boy. Gotcha.

Perhaps you can visualize the pointed-up camera and tripod inverted? Or with
the camera rotated ninety degrees and the tripod affixed foot-to wall?

Do we have to explain EVERYTHING to you?
:^) (sic)

--
Frank ess