Sony Carl Zeiss 135 f/1.7 - too sharp for the Maxxum 7D

Old July 14th 07, 07:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default Sony Carl Zeiss 135 f/1.7 - too sharp for the Maxxum 7D

Wide open (f/1.7, 1/800, open shade, WB@7500K, from RAW, Maxxum 7D, ISO 100)

Unsharp maks... note the staircase in the middle, back petal. This is
apparent in the RAW file as well. See last linked image [W/O sharpening])

Downsampled
http://www.aliasimages.com/images/CZ...ICT5234SML.jpg
201K

Full size
http://www.aliasimages.com/images/CZ...rsPICT5234.jpg
761K

Section at full size
http://www.aliasimages.com/images/CZ...CT5234Sect.jpg
282K

and that's on a 6 Mpix camera. If Sony does a 12+ Mpix camera ...

(Note: focusing this thing is a challenge).

Is this lens *too* sharp for a 6 mpix?
http://www.aliasimages.com/images/CZ...4Staircase.jpg

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old July 14th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On Jul 14, 2:58 pm, Alan Browne
wrote:
Wide open (f/1.7, 1/800, open shade, WB@7500K, from RAW, Maxxum 7D, ISO 100)

Unsharp maks... note the staircase in the middle, back petal. This is
apparent in the RAW file as well. See last linked image [W/O sharpening])

Downsampledhttp://www.aliasimages.com/images/CZ135f1.7/OrangeFlowersPICT5234SML.jpg
201K

Full sizehttp://www.aliasimages.com/images/CZ135f1.7/OrangeFlowersPICT5234.jpg
761K

Section at full sizehttp://www.aliasimages.com/images/CZ135f1.7/OrangeFlowersPICT5234Sect...
282K

and that's on a 6 Mpix camera. If Sony does a 12+ Mpix camera ...

It still won't be enough to make full use of the lens, but it would be
better.
Of course, if you stop down the lens to f8 and the images are sharper
centrally, then the camera is not at fault
and the lens isn't capable of supporting 6 megapixels wide open.

Old July 15th 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Alan Browne wrote:

http://www.aliasimages.com/images/CZ...ICT5234SML.jpg

404

http://www.aliasimages.com/images/CZ...rsPICT5234.jpg

404

http://www.aliasimages.com/images/CZ...CT5234Sect.jpg

404

Is this lens *too* sharp for a 6 mpix?
http://www.aliasimages.com/images/CZ...4Staircase.jpg

404

It's obviously too sharp for your webserver.

-Wolfgang
Old July 15th 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

http://www.aliasimages.com/images/CZ...ICT5234SML.jpg

404

http://www.aliasimages.com/images/CZ...rsPICT5234.jpg

404

http://www.aliasimages.com/images/CZ...CT5234Sect.jpg

404

Is this lens *too* sharp for a 6 mpix?
http://www.aliasimages.com/images/CZ...4Staircase.jpg

404

It's obviously too sharp for your webserver.

No, the folder is correctly re-named to f1.8 instead of f1.7
See my other post, the reason for the staircase lay in the CS3 RAW
import which I'm less used to than the one in Elements 3.
Added a "NoStaircase" v. as well.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old July 17th 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Alan Browne wrote:

http://www.aliasimages.com/images/CZ...ICT5234SML.jpg
http://www.aliasimages.com/images/CZ...rsPICT5234.jpg
http://www.aliasimages.com/images/CZ...CT5234Sect.jpg
Is this lens *too* sharp for a 6 mpix?
http://www.aliasimages.com/images/CZ...4Staircase.jpg

404

It's obviously too sharp for your webserver.

No, the folder is correctly re-named to f1.8 instead of f1.7

Links fixed above.

http://www.aliasimages.com/images/CZ...oStaircase.jpg

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://www.edgehill.net/1
Old July 17th 07, 06:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Alan Browne wrote:

http://www.aliasimages.com/images/CZ...ICT5234SML.jpg

http://www.aliasimages.com/images/CZ...rsPICT5234.jpg
http://www.aliasimages.com/images/CZ...CT5234Sect.jpg
Is this lens *too* sharp for a 6 mpix?
http://www.aliasimages.com/images/CZ...4Staircase.jpg

404

It's obviously too sharp for your webserver.

No, the folder is correctly re-named to f1.8 instead of f1.7

Links fixed above.

See my other post, the reason for the staircase lay in the CS3 RAW
import which I'm less used to than the one in Elements 3.
Added a "NoStaircase" v. as well.

http://www.aliasimages.com/images/CZ...oStaircase.jpg

geez ... why are you wasting time that I won't waste!

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.