Jobo Clear Silicon Sealant

Old January 9th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Jobo Clear Silicon Sealant

Thanks to everyone for advices and clarifications.
I think I am on the right track.
alex

Old January 11th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Got a price quote from OmegaSatter. A tube of Jobo Silicon Sealant is
$59.07. I suppose you can get a discount if you order through B&H or
Calumet.

Count me out.
alex

Old January 11th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Ralf R. Radermacher" wrote in message
Richard Knoppow wrote:

I use GE sealer for a number of things. It doesn't
cure
hard but rather into a rubbery state that can be peeled
off.
I suspect it is identical to the stuff specified by JOBO
in
Germany.

Sounds the same. Just note that the Jobo silicone is a lot
more liquid
than the stuff that's used e.g. for sealing purposes in
places like
bathrooms.

Ralf

--
Ralf R. Radermacher - DL9KCG - Köln/Cologne, Germany
private homepage: http://www.fotoralf.de

That sounds more like a Silicon grease than a sealer. The
stuff I mean cures to a sort of soft rubber. There are
various Silicon greases sold for all sorts of purposes such
as sealing vacuum systems. This maintains a constant
viscosity and does not cure.
The sealers meant for grouting tiles cures pretty hard,
the clear GE stuff stays rubbery.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old January 11th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

wrote in message
ups.com...
Got a price quote from OmegaSatter. A tube of Jobo
Silicon Sealant is
$59.07. I suppose you can get a discount if you order
through B&H or
Calumet.

Count me out.
alex

If this is the same as the clear Silicon sealer sold by
GE its available at hardware stores for much less, in the 5
to 10 dollar a tube range.
Silicon grease may be harder to find but even that
should not be so expensive. Probably a web search would find
what you are looking for.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old January 11th 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Richard Knoppow wrote:

That sounds more like a Silicon grease than a sealer. The
stuff I mean cures to a sort of soft rubber.

I do indeed mean a product that cures to a somewhat rubbery consistency.

But I'd never call that silicon grease. In my understanding silicon
grease is the white greasy stuff that's put between semiconductors and
heat sinks.

Ralf

Old January 11th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

The fist from searching for silicon rubber is a product by Devcon. The
price is from www.nolansupply.com

10.3 Ounce White Silite Rtv Silicone Devcon #17140 $6.11

Is anyone familiar with it?

thanks,
alex

Old January 11th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Richard Knoppow wrote:

That sounds more like a Silicon grease than a sealer.
The
stuff I mean cures to a sort of soft rubber.

I do indeed mean a product that cures to a somewhat
rubbery consistency.

But I'd never call that silicon grease. In my
understanding silicon
grease is the white greasy stuff that's put between
semiconductors and
heat sinks.

Ralf

--
Ralf R. Radermacher - DL9KCG - Köln/Cologne, Germany
private homepage: http://www.fotoralf.de
manual cameras and photo galleries - updated Jan. 10, 2005
Contarex - Kiev 60 - Horizon 202 - P6 mount lenses

Heat sink compound is one form of silicon grease. I think
it has additives in it to increase its heat conductivity.
There are other forms of the grease, for instance there are
forms for sealing joints like vacuum seals (doesn't outgas)
and for lubrication at temperature extremes. I think plain
clear silicon rubber sealer from a hardware store
(ironmonger in the UK) is what is called for here. I don't
know how Jobo manages to jack the price up so much.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old January 11th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Richard Knoppow wrote:

I don't
know how Jobo manages to jack the price up so much.

Oh, they're really good at selling all kinds of ordinary little things,
especially spares, at quite breath-taking prices.

Some time last year, I needed a replacement for a simple plastic tap
with a hole drilled through the handle which is used to drain the water
bath of their ATL processors. I almost choked when I opened the parcel
and saw the invoice: 50 USD!

Their silicon stuff isn't exactly cheap either, over here. Think I paid
around 30 USD.

Ralf

Old January 13th 06, 06:28 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 15:27:52 GMT, "Richard Knoppow"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Got a price quote from OmegaSatter. A tube of Jobo
Silicon Sealant is
$59.07. I suppose you can get a discount if you order
through B&H or
Calumet.

Count me out.
alex

If this is the same as the clear Silicon sealer sold by
GE its available at hardware stores for much less, in the 5
to 10 dollar a tube range.

Sounds like silicon RTV to me.

http://www.tellico4x4.com/catalog/in...Path/1785_1900

$9.95

JD
Old January 13th 06, 06:32 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 23:46:06 +0100, (Ralf R.
Radermacher) wrote:

Their silicon stuff isn't exactly cheap either, over here. Think I paid
around 30 USD.

I got a bottle of Tennessee Sunshine I'd like to sell. Perhaps I
should start my own auction and call it BSBay !

John