OT - Digital Binoculars

Old December 19th 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Scott W

Default OT - Digital Binoculars

On Dec 18, 9:11 pm, "David J Taylor" -this-
bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk wrote:
RichA wrote:

[]

Expect to spend at least $200 for porro prism binos, or $300 for roof
prism. With binos, you get what you pay for with the top tier
dominated by Leica, Swarovski, Nikon, Zeiss, etc. Baush & Lomb's best
are generally good value too. Don't exceed 10x magnification because
they become too unsteady to hand-hold well.

Are image-stabilised binoculars worthwhile? They have always appealed to
me, but they are very expensive and, of course, no local shop stocks them!

We bought a pair in 2000 and now can't stand to use binoculars that
are not IS.

I believe the price has come down a lot since we bought ours, well
worth the money.

Scott

Old December 19th 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_4_]

Scott W wrote:
[]
We bought a pair in 2000 and now can't stand to use binoculars that
are not IS.

I believe the price has come down a lot since we bought ours, well
worth the money.

Scott

Thanks, Scott and RichA. Sounds like saving pennies time again!

David

Old December 20th 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On Dec 19, 2:47 pm, "Mike Coon" wrote:
RichA wrote:
They are all garbage. Toys for people who don't know any better. If
they already have a decent digital camera, then get good pair of
binos.

Which is all very well, but by the time you've put down bins and picked up
and focussed a DSLR the wild life has gone...

Better to lose it than take a mediocre photo with a crappy 1/2.5"
sensor in those things.
Old December 20th 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

RichA wrote:
They are all garbage. Toys for people who don't know any better.
If
they already have a decent digital camera, then get good pair of
binos.

Which is all very well, but by the time you've put down bins and
picked up
and focussed a DSLR the wild life has gone...

Better to lose it than take a mediocre photo with a crappy 1/2.5"
sensor in those things.

Short shaggy dog story. I used to work with a guy that packed his lunch
every day and walked to cafeteria each day to eat his lunch with a
group. Every day in the bag was cold 1/2 pound hamburger well done in a
zip lock bag. The rest of us would eat something different each day for
variety. He basically ate to live where most of us lived to eat.

The same goes for photography quality. Some seek the essence of
perfection with a multi-thousand SLR while other are satisfied with
"snap shots" and many others somewhere between. They are simply
thrilled to see Aunt Bertha or Uncle Charlie and can distinguish people
and faces from the potted plant coming out of the top of their head. So
their treasure is your trash. Do you hold these same values toward your
physical appearance, your car, kids? Tell us what it's like to be
perfect, we live in envy.

-DF

Sounds like a worship of cheapness and laziness.

Old December 20th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
G.T.

RichA wrote:
[...]

Or simply that he just doesn't care about how perfect his food is. I
know guys that drink Bud Light ever day, I haven't drank the same beer
two batches in a row in years, let alone it being Bud Light, but that
doesn't mean the Bud Light drinkers are cheap or lazy.

Greg
Old December 20th 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mike Coon

RichA wrote:
They are all garbage. Toys for people who don't know any better.
If they already have a decent digital camera, then get good pair of
binos.

Which is all very well, but by the time you've put down bins and
picked up and focussed a DSLR the wild life has gone...

Better to lose it than take a mediocre photo with a crappy 1/2.5"
sensor in those things.

You are entitled to your opinion or value judgment. What I'd do with a
"crappy" photo is take it home to assist in identifying the creature and
then delete it. That might be worth it to me or others. Not all photos have
to be masterpieces.

Mike.
--
If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

Old December 21st 07, 03:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

RichA wrote:
[...]

Oh I think it says a whole lot about them.
Having some kind of OCD comes to mind.

Old December 21st 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Scott W

On Dec 21, 9:51*am, "Steve M" wrote:
http://www.lhsc.net/PICT0004.JPG
From the Bushnell Instant Replay

I tried a set of Bushnell photo binoculars, got about the same kind of
photos.
Only the center was even close to sharp and not very at that and the
colors were way off. At best they could resolve about the same detail
as my DSLR does when using a 100mm lens. They could not even match the
detail my Sony F828 captured. They lasted about 24 hour before
breaking down, I returned them and have never been tempted to try
binoculars with a build in camera again.

BTW they were very poor binoculars as well. The idea of using such
crappy binoculars just so I might grab a photo that would not even
make a decent 4x6 print seems rather silly to me.

Maybe there are better ones out there, but I kind of doubt it.

Scott

Old December 22nd 07, 02:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

RichA wrote:
They are all garbage. Toys for people who don't know any better.
If they already have a decent digital camera, then get good pair of
binos.

Which is all very well, but by the time you've put down bins and
picked up and focussed a DSLR the wild life has gone...

Better to lose it than take a mediocre photo with a crappy 1/2.5"
sensor in those things.

You are entitled to your opinion or value judgment. What I'd do with a
"crappy" photo is take it home to assist in identifying the creature and
then delete it. That might be worth it to me or others. Not all photos have
to be masterpieces.

Mike.
--
If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

As long as they remain in the private domain and don't soil the eyes
of those who don't want to see them. Like a blurry 600mm shot of some
celebrity taken by a moron paparazzi.