Recalibrating film to scan?

Old January 9th 05, 06:27 PM
Josh

Default Recalibrating film to scan?

Hello all again,

I figured this was still apropriate to post to R.P.Darkroom as it is
about processing film. I am already familiar with the calibration of
film development specifically for printing using the Zone System. I
currently have mapped out TMX and TMY to get a zone VIII density of
1.35 over FB+F for darkroom printing with various exposures. Now that I
have started to dabble in scanning I have realized that the total
density range of my negatives is quite narrow compared to the
capabilities of the scanner. I was wondering if anyone had specifically
dealt with this issue and possibly come out with some target densities
that take advantage of the range of the scanner without coming close to
the edges of the films capabilities in Dmax.

I would assume right of the bat that since I am interested in the same
shadow detail that my film speed would not change (currently 64 for TMX
and 200 for TMY for me specifically). However I would think that to
expand the overall density range I would have to significantly increase
my development times. I would assume that TMX and TMY would remain
quite linear to a Dmax of 3.0 or so, so would anyone think an
appropriate calibration value for Zone VIII would be on the range of
2.4 - 2.6. This would give me difficult to print conventionally
contrasty negatives, but would effectively separate out the values and
allow for better information capture in a good film scanner.

Any thoughts?

(whether or not this fits in with your philosophy of "printing", please
keep flames to a minimum - I decided I am going to TRY this anyway, I
am not throwing out my darkroom and if I am not happy I can always go
back. )

-Josh

Old January 9th 05, 08:19 PM
winddancing

Wouldn't it be useful to know which scanner, and software; and then the
output intentions?

Old January 9th 05, 08:19 PM
winddancing

Old January 9th 05, 08:38 PM
Gregory Blank

In article .com,
"Josh" wrote:

[...]

IMOP nothing is going to be gained by lots of over exposure,....or over
development. Once you have the information on the film (even for
scanning) there really is no advantage to more density. Basically your
just lengthening the time your scan takes.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old January 9th 05, 10:33 PM
Gregory Blank

"winddancing" wrote:

Wouldn't it be useful to know which scanner, and software; and then the
output intentions?

It would be for us :-)

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old January 9th 05, 10:33 PM
Gregory Blank

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old January 9th 05, 11:15 PM

This is insane.

Old January 9th 05, 11:15 PM

This is insane.