D70 and Macro lens - some advice please

Old July 2nd 04, 01:01 PM
Darrell Larose

Default D70 and Macro lens - some advice please

"Mike" wrote in message
Hi

I have recently bought a D70 and would like to buy a macro lens.

I've had differing advice as to what to buy and would be grateful for any
specific or general help anyone can offer. I would be using it for

insects,
flowers, textures etc.

I've been looking at the Nikon 60mm macro.

Many thanks

Mike

The Micro Nikkor is a great lens, but if all things were equal I would
recommend the 105/2.8 Micro Nikkor which will give the same magnification
but at a longer lens to subject distance. The extra cost may scare one off,
but the extra working distance is pretty important when you are
photographing living creatures.

Old July 2nd 04, 01:10 PM
Tom Scales

The 105 becomes a 157.5, of course.

I have the 60/2.8 and use it on my D70 and D100. I find it is a great focal
length, matching the 90/2 I used on my 35mm camera. That said, I don't shoot
insects. I think they would be tough with a short lens. I believe Nikon also
makes a 200mm macro (micro).

All that said, I am very happy with the 60/2.8

Tom
"Darrell Larose" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...

Old July 2nd 04, 01:49 PM
Darrell Larose

It actually remains a 105mm the image is cropped at the sensor, not
magnified. That being said the 105 will still give a longer working distance
than the 60. I do know people using the Micro Nikkor 200/4.

Old July 2nd 04, 02:53 PM
Tom Scales

Semantics. I guess a technically more accurate statement would be "The 105
becomes the 35mm equivalent of a 157.5 with the D70's 1.5x multiplication
factor".

But I think most D70 owners or potential purchasers would have understood my
sentence without clarification.

Old July 2nd 04, 04:28 PM
Edward Bray

Hi Mike,

I have a D100 and a 60mm micro nikkor AFD, this becomes the equivelent of a
90mm micro on digital, I tend to use this as my standard lens and the
quality is outstanding both for macro photographs and also it is a great
portrait lens, although might require a form of soft focus filter/net for
female portraits.

Bought mine off ebay for £190 in absolutely mint, boxed condition.

Eddie.

Old July 2nd 04, 10:57 PM
Mike

"Mike" wrote in message
Hi

I have recently bought a D70 and would like to buy a macro lens.

I've had differing advice as to what to buy and would be grateful for any
specific or general help anyone can offer. I would be using it for

insects,
flowers, textures etc.

I've been looking at the Nikon 60mm macro.

Many thanks

Mike

Many thanks everyone for your advice.

Kind regards

Mike

Old July 3rd 04, 03:02 PM
Ray Paseur

Mike, the 60mm macro is a fine lens, and fast at f/2.8.

I have the 70-180 zoom and I love it, too. Info he
http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...ductNr=1983NAS

User experience with various lenses on the Nikon D70 he
http://non-aol.com/D70

Just a thought, you might want to consider a VR lens. I have done a number
of close-ups - handheld - with the 24-120 VR. With the great magnification,
it's been pretty good for flowers, etc. There is a rather expensive and
heavy 70-200 VR zoom available. I've not used it, but I've seen "close-up"
images made with that lens plus a teleconverter (bringing the whole setup to
35mm-equivalent focal length of 600mm) at a distance of 12 feet from the
tiny subject. The results were exceptional. It's just amazing to me that
you could get anything handheld at the 600mm focal length.

~Ray