What happened?

Old December 4th 04, 04:53 AM
Hunt

In article , says

Sorry about the file. I just put 3 samples on my website. They can be
viewed at
http://www.kentmcpherson.com/rebel.htm.

I don't have a lens hood. I don't think my hand blocked the flash although
I guess it could have. I'll have to be more aware of that. If there are any
other ideas, I'm sure open to them.

Thanks!

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Kent McPherson wrote:

I got a Canon Digital Rebel a couple months ago and I've had this happen
twice. When using the built-in flash, it's like the picture gets half
exposed, i.e. half the picture is lighted and half is not. I've

attached a
sample so you can see what I'm talk about. The picture is safe. Any

ideas?

It looks like vignetting created by the lens hood and use of built in

flash.
Eg: somthing is blocking the flash light from getting to the scene. For

flash
shots the lens hood can be removed. (Or your hand controlling the zoom

blocked
the flash).

Better yet, use an accessory flash ant point it up 45-60 deg. at the white
ceiling for a softer light, gentler shaddows, no red eye and some BG fill.

NOTE: Posting images here is not permitted. Put your images on a website

and
post the link to the website (your own site or www.photo.net, pbase, etc.)

Cheers,
Alan.

The "object" (lens hood, hand, etc.) blocked 1 & 2. Number 2 & 3 were
underexposed. It does appear, however, that you eliminated the shadow
producing object in #3, but the image was underexposed.

Hunt

Old December 4th 04, 04:56 AM
Hunt

In article , says...

Kibo informs me that "Kent McPherson" stated
that:

Sorry about the file. I just put 3 samples on my website. They can be
viewed at
http://www.kentmcpherson.com/rebel.htm.

I don't have a lens hood. I don't think my hand blocked the flash although
I guess it could have. I'll have to be more aware of that. If there are any
other ideas, I'm sure open to them.

Something has obviously gotten between the flash & the subject. Given
that you were shooting vertically, & the shadow is appearing in
different places, I'd guess that the camera strap was dangling in front
of the flash. You can prevent that by either keeping it around your neck
or making sure that it's hanging *behind* the camera, instead of in
front of it.

Yes, could well be. I had to mount a Hassleblad angle release cable attachment
to all of my LF WA lenses in recessed boards, because the dang cable would
seem to always get into the corner of each exposure.

At first, I thought it was the lens shade (in vertical, it was in the right
position), but now, I think you are closer to the problem.

Hunt