photographing a computer screen?

Old October 18th 04, 04:51 PM
Dave Martindale

writes:

The above method's worked fine for me, every time I've tried it.

Using a camera with a leaf shutter, or a focal-plane shutter?

Dave
Old October 18th 04, 04:51 PM
Dave Martindale

Old October 18th 04, 10:55 PM
Gadgets

Cmd-Shift-3 on a Mac OS 9x - snaps pict to top level of main HD

PrtScrn on PC for whole window, or ALT-PrtScrn for only active window to
copy to clipboard...

Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com

Old October 19th 04, 11:26 AM
bugbear

Al Dykes wrote:

Kibo informs me that Hugh Nagle stated
that:

Now, I know I could do a screen capture, but I was wondering if anyone had
any ideas on how best to photograph a computer screen.

It's easy. You'll need a tripod, positioned with the camera as parallel
as possible with the screen, & a shutter speed that's an *exact*
multiple of the displays refresh rate to prevent dark bars appearing in
the photo. Eg: to photograph an American TV screen (60Hz field rate,
30Hz refresh rate), you'd use a shutter speed of 1/30th, 1/15th, etc.

It's easier on the brain to just do a really long exposure;
a half-frame doesn't matter (much) if you're exposing 60 frames
anyway.

Tripod and a 1Sec exposure works every time, and I don't need
to know the refresh rate.

BugBear

Old October 19th 04, 05:15 PM
Dave Martindale

bugbear writes:

It's easier on the brain to just do a really long exposure;
a half-frame doesn't matter (much) if you're exposing 60 frames
anyway.

Yes, so 1/2 or 1 second exposure works really well.

Tripod and a 1Sec exposure works every time, and I don't need
to know the refresh rate.

The problem with 15 seconds is that you can get reciprocity failure
effects with film or hot pixels showing up with CCD sensors. Plus
digital cameras often take 30 seconds to shoot a 15-second exposure
because of dark frame subtraction (noise reduction), which is a long
time to wait.

If there's enough light for a 1 second exposure with reasonable aperture
and depth of field (and in my experience there's lots of light), why
use 15 seconds and acquire additional problems?

Dave