Will a windshield repair kit fix a dinged condenser lens?

Old December 13th 06, 05:09 AM posted to sci.optics,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Doc

Default Will a windshield repair kit fix a dinged condenser lens?

I accidentally dinged the flat side of a condenser lens with the edge
of another lens, made a small gouge probably a couple of 1/1000ths "
deep give or take - I can feel it with a fingernail - and it's quite
visible when projecting an image through it.

Will one of these windshield repair kits with a sunlight hardened resin
make the ding optically invisible - i.e. so that it doesn't cast a
shadow when projecting through it, or is pointless to try? Don't want
to spend the $11 if it's not going to work. Is there any kind of repair
material for this kind of thing?

If that method isn't going to work, it's my understanding DIY lens
grinding is possible. Do you think it would be possible to grind down
the flat side of the lens past the point of the damage? Any links to
directions on how to do it? Where's a good place to get materials to do
this?

I know, the lenses aren't expensive but I hate to waste an otherwise
good one. I assume it would change its focal length slightly but it's
probably not crucial for my purposes.

Thanks for all input.

Old December 13th 06, 09:10 AM posted to sci.optics,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Colin_D

Doc wrote:
[...]

It's doubtful that the acrylic resin will have the same optical
characteristics as the glass; even though it appears the same color the
refraction and dispersion is bound to be different. That translates to
image distortion for the rays that pass through the resin.

Grinding a new flat surface won't change the focal length significantly,
but it will be a lot of work, hours and hours, and then checking for
optical flatness is not simple. Far better to junk it and get another.

Colin D.

Old December 13th 06, 10:10 AM posted to sci.optics,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Måns Rullgård

Colin_D writes:

Doc wrote:
[...]

It might be less visible than the scratch he has now though.

Grinding a new flat surface won't change the focal length
significantly, but it will be a lot of work, hours and hours, and
then checking for optical flatness is not simple. Far better to
junk it and get another.

Grinding will also remove any coating from that surface. Probably not
a good idea.

--
Måns Rullgård

Old December 13th 06, 03:27 PM posted to sci.optics,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Ian Stirling

In sci.optics Doc wrote:
I accidentally dinged the flat side of a condenser lens with the edge
of another lens, made a small gouge probably a couple of 1/1000ths "
deep give or take - I can feel it with a fingernail - and it's quite
visible when projecting an image through it.

Colour it in with black marker.
Old December 13th 06, 05:39 PM posted to sci.optics,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Brian

Ian Stirling wrote:

Colour it in with black marker.

Clear varnish is better. Instead, if it is one of a pair of identical
lenses (convex sides inwards) just reverse the two to get the damaged
surface away from the focal plane.

Brian
Ancient and Modern Optics

Old December 14th 06, 03:34 AM posted to sci.optics,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
darkroommike

Actually works but something a little more opaque is better,
you can fill small scratches with India Ink and "dings"
with black brushing lacquer.
darkroommike

Old December 17th 06, 03:17 PM posted to sci.optics,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Murray

You might want to try Canada Balsam. It is used to
glue lens elements together as it has the same
refractive index as glass.

Also used to mount microscope specimens on slides
and a scientific store would be the place to start looking.
Be warned it ain't cheap. Maybe you know someone
who works in a lab doing pathology?

Murray