Nikon's new D5200; $900 for a plastic-bodied DSLR

Old February 19th 13, 01:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rob

Default Nikon's new D5200; $900 for a plastic-bodied DSLR

On 19/02/2013 22:19, RichA wrote:
It really is a bit much, even with the plastic kit lens. The only
cause of this must be the mechanicals, which DSLR's need to function.
Even more odd is that the D7000 body (partly metal and although no
D300 is better than the D5200 body) is only...$900 now!!!

Having just looked and played with a 3100 I don't think that the 5200
would be much better. D7000 seems a far better proposition.
Old February 19th 13, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Taylor

On 19/02/2013 12:07, Rob wrote:
[]
Having just looked and played with a 3100 I don't think that the 5200
would be much better. D7000 seems a far better proposition.

For me, the flexibility of the swivel LCD and the lighter weight of the
D5200 would both make it a winner in that comparison, not to mention the
higher pixel density.
--
Cheers,
David
Old February 20th 13, 10:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rob

On 20/02/2013 09:08, RichA wrote:
On Feb 19, 7:07 am, Rob wrote:
On 19/02/2013 22:19, RichA wrote:

It really is a bit much, even with the plastic kit lens. The only
cause of this must be the mechanicals, which DSLR's need to function.
Even more odd is that the D7000 body (partly metal and although no
D300 is better than the D5200 body) is only...$900 now!!!

Having just looked and played with a 3100 I don't think that the 5200
would be much better. D7000 seems a far better proposition.

I, like others I think believe that a D300 successor is sorely missing
from this equation. For the body, any of those cameras mentioned is a
step down. People should think not in-terms of a D300 replacement
likely being "only" $400 less than a D600, but that outfitted with say
3 lenses each, a D600 could be thousands of $'s more than a D300
replacement.
D3200
D5200
D7000
??????????
D600
D800/e
D3x (I think it's still being made)
D4

D3x Its still on the books and sale but more expensive than the D800.

People are now in a situation where they have a DX camera and DX lenses,
which traps them into a new DX format camera body. This maybe OK for most.
Old February 21st 13, 01:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rob

On Feb 19, 7:07 am, Rob wrote:
[...]

It's take a decent photog to prove being trapped is bad.

I would not go back to a DX format. All my lenses are FX except one 12-24.
Old February 21st 13, 02:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"Rob" wrote in message
People are now in a situation where they have a DX camera and DX lenses,
which traps them into a new DX format camera body. This maybe OK for most.

And then there are those who own both Dx and Fx bodies and lenses, (not to
mention MF and even LF) and use them as requirements demand.

Trevor.

Old February 21st 13, 02:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rob

On 21/02/2013 12:52, Trevor wrote:
"Rob" wrote in message
People are now in a situation where they have a DX camera and DX lenses,
which traps them into a new DX format camera body. This maybe OK for most.

And then there are those who own both Dx and Fx bodies and lenses, (not to
mention MF and even LF) and use them as requirements demand.

Trevor.

WOW large format LF digital!
Old February 21st 13, 04:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"Rob" wrote in message
People are now in a situation where they have a DX camera and DX lenses,
which traps them into a new DX format camera body. This maybe OK for
most.

And then there are those who own both Dx and Fx bodies and lenses, (not
mention MF and even LF) and use them as requirements demand.

WOW large format LF digital!

Who said LF *digital*? (oh right only you) But hey, it's possible. Just
imagine an 8x10" sensor with the same density as a D800. Now that's serious
photography!!! :-) :-)

Trevor.