Nikon and DSLR's, losing hard-won ground to Canon?

Old February 18th 13, 02:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

Default Nikon and DSLR's, losing hard-won ground to Canon?

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 00:10:51 -0800 (PST), RichA wrote:
: D7000. Focus issues. D800. Left-side focus issues. D600. Serious
: sensor spotting issues. Those are the last three cameras they've
: introduced. What is going on with them? Meanwhile, Canon has
: introduced a number of new DSLRs in the same time-frame which haven't
: had any major issues, at least from what I have seen. It took Nikon
: several years to win back market share from Canon. I'd hate to see
: them lose it.

Didn't the 5D3 have some sort of issue where light was finding its way in by
some alternative path and fouling the AE? The quick fix, IIRC, involved
electrical tape.

Bob
Old February 19th 13, 03:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 08:49:28 -0500, Robert Coe wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 00:10:51 -0800 (PST), RichA wrote:
: D7000. Focus issues. D800. Left-side focus issues. D600. Serious
: sensor spotting issues. Those are the last three cameras they've
: introduced. What is going on with them? Meanwhile, Canon has
: introduced a number of new DSLRs in the same time-frame which haven't
: had any major issues, at least from what I have seen. It took Nikon
: several years to win back market share from Canon. I'd hate to see
: them lose it.

Didn't the 5D3 have some sort of issue where light was finding its way in by
some alternative path and fouling the AE? The quick fix, IIRC, involved
electrical tape.

Bob

I remember that, but the conditions were so obscure that it only
affected 1 in a million users. And it has been fixed.
Old March 1st 13, 11:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Robert Coe wrote:

Didn't the 5D3 have some sort of issue where light was finding its way in by
some alternative path and fouling the AE?

Yep, in starlight and similar the top LCD light (or a strong
external lamp shining on the top LCD) could slightly affect
the AE, however not enough to harm the image:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/04...dii-light-leak

If you *are* in the habit of doing long time exposures in the
dark using the AE while having the top LCD lit, Canon can fix
the problem for you.

The quick fix, IIRC, involved electrical tape.

As Roger Cicala puts it:
Sometimes I forget that other people don’t spend most
of their days looking in cameras and lenses. Some people
seem to think tape is bad or cheap fix. It’s not.
Actually, I can’t think of any SLR camera that doesn’t
have a bunch of tape inside. Nor can I remember any
high quality zoom lens that doesn’t have tape inside
(some of the cheaper consumer grade lenses don’t).
This stuff lasts for the life of the camera and then some.
Trust me, I’ve taken some water soaked equipment apart
where the only thing still working was the tape.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/05/the-fix-is-in

Also look here
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012...ii-strip-tease
Canon uses the stuff in the rest of the 5D3 and the loose
screw didn't short anything out!

-Wolfgang