What is the oldest digital pic you have on your computer?

Old December 10th 11, 07:42 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

Default What is the oldest digital pic you have on your computer?

On 2011-12-09 18:29:44 -0800, Annika1980 said:

This question got me to thinking. I started shooting digitally about
10 years ago, but many of my early efforts (taken with a 2.1MP Kodak)
are stored away on some CDs somewhere or in an old hard drive I don't
even have easy access to these days. I do have pretty much everything
from late 2002 on, which is when I got my Canon D60. The only problem
is storage space since they take up a few Terabytes.

I used to shoot quite a lot of film as well and I still have many
negatives and slides, very few of which have been scanned. I don't
even think my old scanners and software will work on my new computer.

I wonder how many of these images will still be around in another 10
or 20 years?
An even scarier thought is what if something happens to the drive(s) I
have them backed up on?
Poof! The last 10 years of photography gone forever. But on the
other hand, if I haven't used or profited from those pix by now, what
does it matter? Very few of the photos I've taken have been seen by
anyone besides me, despite the fact that I post a good number of
photos online. So who really cares if they go away?

I was even thinking of doing a book of photos that nobody else has
ever seen.
Of course, I'd probably be the only one who looks at the book.

I'll file that on the shelf right beside all those other projects
I'll never do.

I had to go to an outboard HD to find my earliest digital capture.
This was shot with a 3.5MP Nikon CP-775 on 10/9/2001.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DSCN0003.JPG

Savageduck

Old December 10th 11, 10:25 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

Savageduck wrote,on my timestamp of 10/12/2011 5:42 PM:

I had to go to an outboard HD to find my earliest digital capture.
This was shot with a 3.5MP Nikon CP-775 on 10/9/2001.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DSCN0003.JPG

This one:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~nsouto/...le%20ticks.jpg
dates from November 99. Taken on my Coolpix950, 2MP.
Sits with all the others - film and digital - on a 2TB USB drive, backed up to a
1TB USB every week. I think I've burnt them on a CD somewhere but can't
remember where it is.
USB drives are a lot faster than burning cds and dvds and a lot more convenient
to boot. When I get anywhere near capacity, I just buy two more and spread
things around. There are 300GB, 600GB, 1TB and 2TB pairs now in the disk farm
shelf. Total price well under half a grand.
By far the film stuff is the one that takes the most space with scans kept in
tif and then processed into jpg for show. Most of the dslr stuff is on RAW, tif
and jpg. The EVIL stuff is also RAW, tif and jpg. The diff is that a compressed
35mm tif scan is around 20MB, whereas the RAW stuff is 10MB and the MF scans are
well over 60MB.
Old December 10th 11, 11:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-12-10 01:25:47 -0800, Noons said:

[...]

Those early low MP Coolpix were surprisingly good performers, and for
many, would still be all they need in a digital snapshot camera.

Like you, I have a bunch of Firewire 800 drives of various capacity (2x
3TB, 2x 1TB) and I also have a number of OWC "On the Go" 2.5" portable
Firewire 800/400 & USB drives (1TB, 750 GB, 320GB).

Savageduck

Old December 10th 11, 07:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 20:25:47 +1100, Noons wrote:
: Savageduck wrote,on my timestamp of 10/12/2011 5:42 PM:
:
:
[...]

Did the kids, who must be around 20 years old now, inherit your interest in
photography?

Bob
Old December 10th 11, 07:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 22:42:35 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:
: On 2011-12-09 18:29:44 -0800, Annika1980 said:
:
[...]

Very nice. The worst that can be said of it is that it exposes the limited
dynamic range of cameras of the time.

I wish I had such a picture, but our fine old black retriever didn't quite
make it to the digital era.

Bob