Please carefullt read my question and answer in kind

Old June 25th 03, 05:09 PM
pioe[rmv]

Default Please carefullt read my question and answer in kind

Tesselator wrote:

Not true! Just the opposite. You read the first post in a thread and the
successive replies. The reply is at the top where normal people place
thier eyes on the page ready to read the next bit of reply. Anyway I'm
with John Miller... I don't really care where it's posted just as long
noone complains about it and spouts off with how to post as being the
word of the NNTP gods like there even are such rules. LOL

This is entirely wrong.

I want to know what it is about, and I want to see the question coming
before the answer. So do most people.

Therefore, any reply ought to come after what is being replied to.
That is, NOT at the top.

--
Per Inge Oestmoen, Norway
http://www.alpha-gruppen.com/

Old June 26th 03, 03:26 AM
Tesselator

Hi Jason,

"Jason O'Rourke" wrote in message ...
Tesselator wrote:
I want to know what it is about, and I want to see the question coming
before the answer. So do most people.

Then read the first post fist. Do you always start in the middle of a book?

When you read a newspaper, do you start with January 1 and work your way
up to today in June?

So you're saying newspapers should quote the previous days' article and
the top of each article?

Newsgroups have expirations as little as a couple days up to a more typical
few weeks.

Actually the default is one month for all three of the most popular newsreaders
currently in distribution. Good try tho. Additionally if you frequent a
particular newsgroup it usually a good idea to increase that "30 day" default
value to 90 days or so.

And in a long running thread, the first post may or may not
be available, or it may be a few hundred posts ago.

So we should include all that and post at the bottom of a few hundred
quoted messages? Right...

You appear to be posting from Japan, so perhaps bottom to top doesn't
seem so weird to you. But it doesn't really work well with English
or other latin based languages because each portion is still top to bottom.

Ya, I live in Japan where they read top to bottom, right to left, and also
left to right. Both here and in the western world you will notice that
arrangement in both writting and reading: "Top to bottom" When I write,
I start at the top of the page not at the bottom. If I'm writting a paper
on a previously read paper or replying to a recieved mail I do not start
writting at the bottom of /thier/ page. At best I would staple mine "ON TOP"
of thiers including thiers "AT THE BOTOM" underneath mine, as a reference
in case it needed to be used as such.

But all this is getting rather silly. As we /should/ both know there are
legitimate claims for all three styles; top, bottom, and in-line. Not any
ONE of them being more or less "correct" than any other. My real statement
here is: Do as you please just don't try and enforce that as being a rule
of some kind when it's clearly not. _and_ Please realize how completely
anal it would be to try and do so.

Old June 26th 03, 01:43 PM
Ben A L Jemmett

"Tesselator" wrote in message
Actually the default is one month for all three of the most popular

newsreaders
currently in distribution. Good try tho.

Wonderful, especially if you've just picked up the group and your news
server is only carrying the last two days' articles. Good try, though.

Ben A L Jemmett.
(http://web.ukonline.co.uk/ben.jemmett/, http://www.deltasoft.com/)