Choosing aperture and shutter, which first?

Old September 20th 04, 09:35 AM
Quercus

Thank you all... That was really useful :-)

I like the aperture-first approach, and I think that would work fine
with a SLR, but not with my p&s :-(

Compact digital cameras have greater DOF, and you can hardly get the
blur effect in the background, even with the lowest f-stop. And in
aperture priority program you have a limited range of f-stops availabe,
depending of the focal length selected (I think this is common even in
SLR in auto mode?) and as there won't be so much difference in using
f2.2 or f5.6, attending to DOF, I'd better use shutter priority and
adjust later the aperture with the exposure bias control.

Yes, I know I do need a DSLR :-)

Ok, thanks again for your answers.

-Quercus-

--
Yo uso Software Libre
Debian GNU/Linux (Sarge) Kernel 2.6.7
Old September 21st 04, 02:05 AM
street shooter

Quercus wrote in message ...
Hi there, I was wondering how do people "usually" set those parameters
in their cameras to get the desired exposure.

I mean, with the camera in full manual mode, do you first choose the
f-stop (looking for depth of field) and then you adjust shutter time
until the exposure will be correct or you do it in reverse order, first
shutter and then aperture to meet correct lighting?

I guess that depends of what is the subject, if it has fast motion
you'll probably set first a lower shutter time, and then check for
f-stop... And so on...

But my question is about "normal" pictures, those without fast motion or
low depth of field required (portraits)...

Which method works best? Shutter-Aperture or Aperture-Shutter? Any
other? Is that just a matter of personal preference?

I own a point and shoot digicam, with shutter and aperture priority
programs, so I don't have all the control over those variables that I
would like to, but I wanna get the best from it while I win the lotto
and get a DSLR ;-)

-Quercus-

Okay, I'm in the minority. I set my camera to 1/250 shutter speed in
shutter priority mode and let the metering system choose the aperture
(f-stop). As a street photographer, I have learned the my selected
shutter speed is the slowest which freezes nearly all pedestrian
motion, but still allows for some vehicular traffic motion blur.
Since I usually have a very sepcific main subject supported by
background elements I don't necessarily care about depth-of-field. I
use background more for framing than identification of my main
subject. In totality, my photographs show that places tend to remain
similar while people are constantly in a state of change, sometimes by
way of different people and sometimes by way of the same person in
about the same place on a different day. So, my camera is set to
1/250 in Tv mode. For those curious, I shoot Tri-X at EI 200.

Michael

Old September 25th 04, 05:26 PM
Alan Browne

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Your question is like asking Pacaso which color does he use.

Photography is a science, but more important for most of the people
here, it is also an art.

The science of photography can be taken car of by .... science. Our
automatic cameras can make those decisions for us. Since you asked the
question, you want the answer as it applies to art and art is . . . within
each of us and not something that we can get by asking.

You can do well by learning the science of how they relate to each other
and how they effect the results. Then you, the artist can make the decision
that makes the art.

I don't concur at all. His question was quite valid and led to various replies
being variations of 'composition first - Aperture'; 'movement control -
speed'. He can apply that to the art.

Who's Pacaso?

(Sorry for late reply ... server).

Cheers,