Surfing Novices

Old September 24th 17, 12:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

Default Surfing Novices

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I don't respond to mystery posters or phishermen unless I approve of
their URLs. For the last several months I've been been receiving a
dozen a day or more.

via email? get better spam filtering.

I've got spam filtering. The problem is that unless you (or the
software) knows better they all look genuine.

clearly not very effective spam filtering.

once again, you rely on broken software.
Old September 24th 17, 10:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 07:56:08 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I don't respond to mystery posters or phishermen unless I approve of
their URLs. For the last several months I've been been receiving a
dozen a day or more.

via email? get better spam filtering.

I've got spam filtering. The problem is that unless you (or the
software) knows better they all look genuine.

clearly not very effective spam filtering.

When, for example, I receive a perfectly genuine looking email from a
company that I deal with telling me that they have tried and failed to
deliver a parcel because the address is wrong and could I please click
*here* to fix the problem, when I am not expecting a parcel, clicking
*here* is the last thing I will do.

Now how is antispam software going to deal with that?

once again, you rely on broken software.

At this level, my software is in my head and it it is not broken.

Eric Stevens
Old September 24th 17, 10:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I don't respond to mystery posters or phishermen unless I approve of
their URLs. For the last several months I've been been receiving a
dozen a day or more.

via email? get better spam filtering.

I've got spam filtering. The problem is that unless you (or the
software) knows better they all look genuine.

clearly not very effective spam filtering.

When, for example, I receive a perfectly genuine looking email from a
company that I deal with telling me that they have tried and failed to
deliver a parcel because the address is wrong and could I please click
*here* to fix the problem, when I am not expecting a parcel, clicking
*here* is the last thing I will do.

Now how is antispam software going to deal with that?

because it will detect that the email is forged.

it knows what to look for. you don't.

once again, you rely on broken software.

At this level, my software is in my head and it it is not broken.

it's broken.
Old September 25th 17, 12:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 24, 2017, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 07:56:08 -0400,
wrote:

In , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I don't respond to mystery posters or phishermen unless I approve of
their URLs. For the last several months I've been been receiving a
dozen a day or more.

via email? get better spam filtering.

I've got spam filtering. The problem is that unless you (or the
software) knows better they all look genuine.

clearly not very effective spam filtering.

When, for example, I receive a perfectly genuine looking email from a
company that I deal with telling me that they have tried and failed to
deliver a parcel because the address is wrong and could I please click
*here* to fix the problem, when I am not expecting a parcel, clicking
*here* is the last thing I will do.

Now how is antispam software going to deal with that?

once again, you rely on broken software.

At this level, my software is in my head and it it is not broken.

Oh hell! I get those from FedEX, as well as phishing attempts by emails
posing as notifications from Facebook, telling me, who doesn't have a
Facebook account, that I haven’t been to Facebook “for a few days” and
I have messages which will be deleted in a few days.They all end up filtered
to my Junk Mail folder.

There are link buttons to “View messages” or “Go to Facebook”. They
also provide other links to unsubscribe from Facebook emails. Moving my
cursor over those buttons or the unsubscribe link reveal the destination URL
for all to be the same Russian nasty basement. They must get hits from all
sorts of unsuspecting idiot Facebookers.

Savageduck

Old September 25th 17, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 02:00:00 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Saturday, 23 September 2017 01:24:39 UTC+1, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 06:57:40 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Sep 22, 2017, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 20:48:28 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Sep 21, 2017, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

rOn Thu, 21 Sep 2017 12:42:14 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Sep 21, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 9/21/2017 10:13 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Sep 21, 2017, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 23:14:11 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Sep 20, 2017, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 12:29:44 -0400, Ron wrote:

...er Snip

As for context, I would want to get a feeling of time. Some
indication of how the situation developed or is developing
gives a better feeling for the action and perhaps emotion.
I can still vividly recall the feeling of looking down the wave
during a wipe-out. Having been there I have some empathy
for the situation and would want to capture a bit of that feeling.
You have the choice of how he got there, where he's going, or
[in some cases] some unusual or spectacular static shot.
Dropping in to a wave or pulling out tend to be the most
dynamic. [IMHO] Resist the tight crop in favor of the story.
OK, I think that's enough of my babbling.
Last I checked the surf looks big but choppy and
blown out today.

Here is surfing shot.

No there isn't.

So there isn't. But try this one.

http://tinyurl.com/y74ezed9

It looks as though your timing was off on this one.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h0seayar03mbbmt/screenshot_171.png

"Sorry, this content isn't available right now"

...so?
What did you think is being said regarding the Eric surfing shot that nobody can see?

Well, that wasn't my surfing shot or, at least, I didn't post it.

So you didn’t post http://tinyurl.com/y74ezed9 ?

The dropbox link was to a screenshot of what I saw when attempting to open your tinyurl.

You could have explained that.

The URL does say “screenshot_171.png”.
It was not as if I was trying to deceive anybody.

I don't normally read URLs. Perhaps I should?

Yes it's a good idea to know where you are going when you click on a link, this is how phising gets people.
All look my bank wants me to update my password ..., etc....

I should have said "I don't normally read URLs when they are posted in
a news group by a regular poster". I just say to myself "Oh, he wants
me to look at that" followed by click.

Eric Stevens

Surfing with a motorcycle Sandman Digital Photography 2 August 4th 15 02:59 PM
EVF's for novices Irwell Digital Photography 1 August 11th 10 04:15 AM
EVF's for novices bobwilliams Digital Photography 2 August 10th 10 05:36 AM
Surfing pics DD 35mm Photo Equipment 7 July 4th 06 06:30 AM
Website for DSLR/SLR Amateurs & Novices Sharp Shooter Digital SLR Cameras 2 June 7th 05 09:04 AM