'Gprop' files?

Old April 9th 16, 02:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell[_2_]

Default 'Gprop' files?

I have a large folder of JPG images downloaded from Flickr a few years
ago. Just noticed that a small minority have an extra file associated,
with the extension 'gprop'. I've uploaded an example of such a pair
he

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...149a7797_b.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...9a7797_b.gprop

Searches for 'gprop' gave me no relevant explanation but they are
clearly some sort of text file. Here's the content of that example
above:

[Enable]
Description=1
[Description]
Text=Diving with friends ...\na
href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkHTsc9PU2A"
rel="nofollow"www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkHTsc9PU2A/a

What is the source of these please? Is there some way to get them into
the JPG Comment or IPTC field?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old April 9th 16, 10:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Terry Pinnell wrote:

I have a large folder of JPG images downloaded from Flickr a few
years ago. Just noticed that a small minority have an extra file
associated, with the extension 'gprop'. I've uploaded an example of
such a pair he

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...149a7797_b.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...9a7797_b.gprop

Searches for 'gprop' gave me no relevant explanation but they are
clearly some sort of text file. Here's the content of that example
above:

[Enable]
Description=1
[Description]
Text=Diving with friends ...\na
href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkHTsc9PU2A"
rel="nofollow"www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkHTsc9PU2A/a

What is the source of these please? Is there some way to get them
into the JPG Comment or IPTC field?

Could it be for those images where you have used (or Flickr have auto-added)
markup, which wouldn't work in the JPG metadata comment? Just a guess.
Presumably it would be easy for you to check in the files you do see if that's
the case.

--
Sandman
Old April 9th 16, 10:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-04-09 21:27:17 +0000, Sandman said:

[...]

I suspect it might be a Flickr Photo Group tag.

Savageduck

Old April 9th 16, 11:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 4/9/2016 9:26 AM, Terry Pinnell wrote:
[...]

The content looks like server-side code that links to an external file
on YouTube, though there isn't enough of it here to know what language
was used. So, my guess is that this is something that was set up by
Flickr when you uploaded the file.

--
Best regards,

Neil
Old April 9th 16, 11:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

On 10/04/2016 10:07, Neil wrote:
[...]

http://extension.nirsoft.net/gprop
http://www.gphotoshow.com/gphotoshow.asp#.Vwl_x6R96VM

My guess that the folder with the files has been accessed with one of
those programs (screensaver or slideshow), which created the sidecar
files (seem to be text files in standard windows *ini format - which
makes writing/reading text or integers under the [] brackets
programmatically using the windows API very simple).
Getting that read then written to IPTC field of the associated jpeg file
automatically wouldn't be so simple.
Old April 9th 16, 11:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

On 10/04/2016 10:25, Me wrote:
On 10/04/2016 10:07, Neil wrote:
[...]

Here we go - this probably explains how the files got there anyway:
http://www.gphotoshow.com/plugin-fli...m#.VwmB9KR96VM

Doesn't solve the issue of how to get the IPTC field written
automatically - if there were a few dozen to be done, then cut and paste
to a program which can write IPTC data would be fine. If there were
hundreds or thousands, then you've probably got a big problem.
Old April 10th 16, 10:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article 2016040914594275249-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck

On 2016-04-09 21:27:17 +0000, Sandman said:

Terry Pinnell:
I have a large folder of JPG images downloaded from Flickr a few
years ago. Just noticed that a small minority have an extra file
associated, with the extension 'gprop'. I've uploaded an example
of such a pair he

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...149a7797_b.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...9a7797_b.gprop

Searches for 'gprop' gave me no relevant explanation but they
are clearly some sort of text file. Here's the content of that
example above:

[Enable]
Description=1
[Description]
Text=Diving with friends ...\na
href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkHTsc9PU2A"
rel="nofollow"www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkHTsc9PU2A/a

What is the source of these please? Is there some way to get
them into the JPG Comment or IPTC field?

Sandman:
Could it be for those images where you have used (or Flickr have
auto-added) markup, which wouldn't work in the JPG metadata
comment? Just a guess. Presumably it would be easy for you to
check in the files you do see if that's the case.

I suspect it might be a Flickr Photo Group tag.

Dunno, the file contains a description field, and unless the OP has other
information, it certainly looks to be the photo description from Flickr.

I.e. when you upload a JPG file to Flickr and add metadata to it on Flickr,
it's highly unlikely that Flickr is editing the original JPG to add the
metadata, so when downloading Flickr might have added this metadata to
external files.

Not knowing the nature of the download, it's hard to tell, especially since
Flickr might no longer be doing this. When downloading a single image from
Flickr, all I get is that single image. When downloading an album, I get a
zip file with all the photos but no such files, even if I add hyperlinks.

A quick googling may suggest another possibility:

http://www.gphotoshow.com/gpspro_faq.htm

From the FAQ of a software package named gPhotoShow Pro, where a question is
"How can I display a text over my images ?" and the answer specifically
mentions:

".gprop file (gPhotoShow Image Properties file)"

Now, several software packages can use the same extension of course, but
maybe there's a slight chance that these photos once where opened in this
application and it saved a sidecar file.

--
Sandman
Old April 10th 16, 12:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell[_2_]

Me wrote:

On 10/04/2016 10:25, Me wrote:
On 10/04/2016 10:07, Neil wrote:
[...]

Thanks all, appreciate your getting on the case. If my memory was a
tad sharper and it hadn't been so long since I downloaded those files
then I could have avoided passing on the puzzle.

Because 'me' gets the seegar for finding the google hit that I didn't:
Flickr. I did have the Flickr Plugin installed at one time and used
that to supplement my folder of images.

FWIW I use the JPGs with a tool called Wallpaper Master Pro to change
the desktop wallpaper. My source is several folders, about 80% my own
stuff (UK walk landscapes) and the rest mainly from Flickr.

A closer examination shows that the Flickr source folder contains 2757
JPGs and 1798 GPROPS, so more with notes than I thought. Some are
quite long. First half dozen included one with over 2,000 chars.
Here's one of the shorter ones, for 6237920704_561de1f4c3_b.jpg:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...1de1f4c3_b.jpg

[Enable]
Description=1
[Description]
Text=Norwich Bluff at Sunset\nNorwich Bluff was once the site of
imany/i early copper mines. Now, it's a rugged and wild place to
explore.\n\nI camped at the base of this bluff last weekend, enjoying
a terrific windstorm and a bit of rain too. I spent the entire next
day climbing up the face of this bluff, through its valleys and
ridges, and finding old mines. It was wonderful.\n\na
href="http://blog.dcclark.net" rel="nofollow"bCliffs and
Ruins/b/a blog • a href="http://www.dcclark.net"
rel="nofollow"bDavid Clark Photography/b/a store

So I reckon I'll try using Macro Express Pro to write a macro script
to copy the readable text to Comments and/or IPTC, although frankly
I've found those have a low survival rate. Main culprit is probably my
ancient editor, PaintShop Pro 8, which fails to preserve them - or
Comments at least, my favoured depository when I bother at all.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK