Color Problem

Old April 2nd 16, 04:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Color Problem

On Fri, 01 Apr 2016 19:40:00 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Apr 1, 2016, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Fri, 01 Apr 2016 17:35:34 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Apr 1, 2016, Savageduck wrote
(in news.com):

On Apr 1, 2016, Savageduck wrote
(in news.com):

On Apr 1, 2016, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

I am tempted to recover some ancient photographs which I have scanned
from slides. I am having particular problems with
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31088803/GS5.jpg which has an
excessive red tinge. I am particularly trying get rid of the red from
the label while retaining the underlyiing cream color.

In my opinion you have a bigger issue with the green/turquoise color

cast
than the red. The red is easily dealt with using one of several tools,
either
the HSL panel in ACR or LR, or a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer with

the
adjustment applied selectively using a layer mask.

I have tried all sorts of things in both Photoshop and Lightroom but
without success. I would appreciate any help in solving this problem.

What have you tried?

Here is what I think constitutes a fix. ...sort of.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_26.jpg

Oops! That was a mid-fix comparison, not an original - fix comparison.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_27.jpg

...and my final rendition:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/ES-Ferrari-2.jpg

I think I prefer your first example.

Well it was a sort of fix. I really have no idea of what your intentions were
as you seemed to be more concerned with the label than the green everything.

The label is the heart of the matter (how to deliver a single-seat
Ferrari around the world) but the blue/green tinge also bothers me. I
have no real trouble dealing with that but the red tinge, particularly
that of the label, is my greatest concern.

Eric Stevens
Old April 2nd 16, 04:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Anyway, here is a third rendition using the same technique, but with slightly
different tweaks.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/ES-Ferrari-3.jpg

I thought you might like to see and hear a cousin of your car, which I gather
from the label is an S F (Scuderia Ferrari) 212. All bodywork on these was
custom so there are no two alike. The bulk of the bodywork was done by
Barchetta Touring, there are also a few Gia and Pininfarina bodies. Generally
all on the same chassis with slight variations to the V-12 power plant over
the production years.
https://youtu.be/Uz9YWdA_qtU

Savageduck

Old April 2nd 16, 04:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 01 Apr 2016 19:37:15 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Apr 1, 2016, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Fri, 01 Apr 2016 17:01:39 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Apr 1, 2016, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

I am tempted to recover some ancient photographs which I have scanned
from slides. I am having particular problems with
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31088803/GS5.jpg which has an
excessive red tinge. I am particularly trying get rid of the red from
the label while retaining the underlyiing cream color.

In my opinion you have a bigger issue with the green/turquoise color cast
than the red. The red is easily dealt with using one of several tools,
either
the HSL panel in ACR or LR, or a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer with the
adjustment applied selectively using a layer mask.

I have tried all sorts of things in both Photoshop and Lightroom but
without success. I would appreciate any help in solving this problem.

What have you tried?

Mainly LR. I have fiddled around with individual color tone curves and
HSL but I have not got a result as good as you have done.

Here is what I think constitutes a fix. ...sort of.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_26.jpg

What did you do?

First, the comparison above is not with your original, but one of the
intermediate stages of my fix.

Anyway I copied your shot into PS and then started dealing with individual
areas in individual adjustment layers.
Note: for this exercise I didn’t use Smart Objects.

1: The Label. This was the easiest of the bunch.
a: duplicated layer, open Camera Raw Filter (CRF). zoom in on label.
Adjust for Black and White Point, exposure, contrast, pull back a hair on
saturation. Sharpen.
b: In CRF go to HSL; adjust Red, Orange, Yellow, and whatever else to taste
in both saturation and luminance.
c: add a layer mask filled with black and then paint in the adjustment with a
white brush.

2: The steering wheel and spokes done the same way (but with obviously
different settings)on its own layer.

3: The dash and footwell. repeat on new layer to taste.

Some NR and then a very mild amount of desaturation for the entire image.
Again, I used the CRF for that, no mask needed.
This is a little simplistic rendition of how I went about things, but it
gives you an idea of my thinking.

It's obvious when you say it like that. I guess I was too lazy.

In the back of my mind I was influenced by the idea that age had
treated the slide more or less uniformly and the problems could be
fixed by a general treatment. I guess I was wrong.

I'm currently rusty with PS but I will see what I can do.

Thank you for the help.

Eric Stevens
Old April 2nd 16, 05:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

....and this is the single seat SF 212:
http://www.autodato.com/wp-content/u...+375F1+-+166+-
+212+1951+Jose+Froilan+Gonzalez.jpg

Savageduck

Old April 2nd 16, 06:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

or
http://tinyurl.com/hno3g46

Savageduck

Old April 2nd 16, 09:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

Actually, it is one of the last (4?) front-engined Dino Ferraris
stretched slightly in the chassis (by Ferrari) and fitted with a 3L
single cam Testa Rosa engined. This was offered as Ferrari's
contribution to Formula Continental, which was the prototype Formula
5000. It was delivered straight from lapping the high speed circuit at
Monza at a shade less than 200 mph. See
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...errari%203.jpg

Eric Stevens
Old April 2nd 16, 02:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2016-04-01 18:34, Eric Stevens wrote:
I am tempted to recover some ancient photographs which I have scanned
from slides. I am having particular problems with
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31088803/GS5.jpg which has an
excessive red tinge. I am particularly trying get rid of the red from
the label while retaining the underlyiing cream color.

I have tried all sorts of things in both Photoshop and Lightroom but
without success. I would appreciate any help in solving this problem.

Did you look up the colour components of the "cream" colour so you would
be forearmed with info about what to change - and what not to?

Various online "cream" definitions show significant red content - so
reducing the red may require adjustments to the G and B as well to
maintain balance.

Offhand: Did you try setting the Image|mode to LAB and then
de-saturating the red from there?

--
"But I am somehow extraordinarily lucky, for a guy with ****ty luck."
..Harrison Ford, Rolling Stone - 2015-12-02
Old April 2nd 16, 04:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

Interesting picture. So overly saturated. I was curious
how it got that way. And of course I don't know what
the actual color should be, but here's a try:

http://www.jsware.net/Files2/GS5sm.jpg

In Paint Shop Pro:

1) I shrunk it down a bit just for quicker functions.

2) Adjusted gamma overall: R 1.7 G .9 B .88

3) Dramatically reduced saturation. -35 saturation overall.

4) By that point I thought it all looked good except
the ticket, so I selected and desaturated that further,
and shifted it toward yellow.

5) Finally, the smudge near top of ticket looked a
bit greenish, so I shifted that slightly red and
desaturated it further.

I keep my monitor slightly darker than default
settings. That may make a difference. I find that
most monitors default to too light, so I have the
gamma set at 95.

Old April 2nd 16, 04:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

Woops. That still looks a bit pink. This one is
just 3 points over toward yellow:

http://www.jsware.net/Files2/GS5sm2.jpg

Old April 2nd 16, 04:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 2, 2016, Mayayana wrote
(in article ):

I keep my monitor slightly darker than default
settings. That may make a difference. I find that
most monitors default to too light, so I have the
gamma set at 95.

So you are working with an uncalibrated monitor? ‘Default’ is not the
same as calibrated, and has nothing to do with having a calibrated display.

Savageduck