Color Problem

Old April 1st 16, 11:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Color Problem

I am tempted to recover some ancient photographs which I have scanned
from slides. I am having particular problems with
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31088803/GS5.jpg which has an
excessive red tinge. I am particularly trying get rid of the red from
the label while retaining the underlyiing cream color.

I have tried all sorts of things in both Photoshop and Lightroom but
without success. I would appreciate any help in solving this problem.

Eric Stevens
Old April 2nd 16, 01:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 1, 2016, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

I am tempted to recover some ancient photographs which I have scanned
from slides. I am having particular problems with
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31088803/GS5.jpg which has an
excessive red tinge. I am particularly trying get rid of the red from
the label while retaining the underlyiing cream color.

In my opinion you have a bigger issue with the green/turquoise color cast
than the red. The red is easily dealt with using one of several tools, either
the HSL panel in ACR or LR, or a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer with the
adjustment applied selectively using a layer mask.

I have tried all sorts of things in both Photoshop and Lightroom but
without success. I would appreciate any help in solving this problem.

What have you tried?

Here is what I think constitutes a fix. ...sort of.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_26.jpg

Savageduck

Old April 2nd 16, 01:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 1, 2016, Savageduck wrote
(in news.com):

[...]

Oops! That was a mid-fix comparison, not an original - fix comparison.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_27.jpg

Savageduck

Old April 2nd 16, 01:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

[...]

....and my final rendition:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/ES-Ferrari-2.jpg

Savageduck

Old April 2nd 16, 01:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Savageduck wrote:
[...]

That is a beautiful and meaningful improvement. Wow.

Mort Linder
Old April 2nd 16, 02:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 01 Apr 2016 17:01:39 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Apr 1, 2016, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

I am tempted to recover some ancient photographs which I have scanned
from slides. I am having particular problems with
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31088803/GS5.jpg which has an
excessive red tinge. I am particularly trying get rid of the red from
the label while retaining the underlyiing cream color.

In my opinion you have a bigger issue with the green/turquoise color cast
than the red. The red is easily dealt with using one of several tools, either
the HSL panel in ACR or LR, or a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer with the
adjustment applied selectively using a layer mask.

I have tried all sorts of things in both Photoshop and Lightroom but
without success. I would appreciate any help in solving this problem.

What have you tried?

Mainly LR. I have fiddled around with individual color tone curves and
HSL but I have not got a result as good as you have done.

Here is what I think constitutes a fix. ...sort of.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_26.jpg

What did you do?

Eric Stevens
Old April 2nd 16, 02:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 01 Apr 2016 17:35:34 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

[...]

I think I prefer your first example.

Eric Stevens
Old April 2nd 16, 03:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

First, the comparison above is not with your original, but one of the
intermediate stages of my fix.

Anyway I copied your shot into PS and then started dealing with individual
areas in individual adjustment layers.
Note: for this exercise I didn’t use Smart Objects.

1: The Label. This was the easiest of the bunch.
a: duplicated layer, open Camera Raw Filter (CRF). zoom in on label.
Adjust for Black and White Point, exposure, contrast, pull back a hair on
saturation. Sharpen.
b: In CRF go to HSL; adjust Red, Orange, Yellow, and whatever else to taste
in both saturation and luminance.
c: add a layer mask filled with black and then paint in the adjustment with a
white brush.

2: The steering wheel and spokes done the same way (but with obviously
different settings)on its own layer.

3: The dash and footwell. repeat on new layer to taste.

Some NR and then a very mild amount of desaturation for the entire image.
Again, I used the CRF for that, no mask needed.
This is a little simplistic rendition of how I went about things, but it
gives you an idea of my thinking.

Savageduck

Old April 2nd 16, 03:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Well it was a sort of fix. I really have no idea of what your intentions were
as you seemed to be more concerned with the label than the green everything.

Savageduck

Old April 2nd 16, 04:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Anyway, here is a third rendition using the same technique, but with slightly
different tweaks.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/ES-Ferrari-3.jpg

Savageduck