1950s transparencies

Old April 1st 16, 01:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Russell D.

Default 1950s transparencies

On 03/25/2016 10:22 AM, Pablo wrote:
My mum just asked me if I can "do anything" with some transparencies from
the 1950s.

Can I? Do I have to get a special scanner or will an ordinary one do?

Cheers.

I've been scanning the slides (mostly Kodachrome) that my father took
with my Nikon Coolscan V ED. I have been very pleased with the results.

Russell

Old April 1st 16, 02:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Russell D. wrote:

I've been scanning the slides (mostly Kodachrome) that my father took
with my Nikon Coolscan V ED. I have been very pleased with the results.

Russell

Hi,

I just acquired a used Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED, and have not yet
used it. Are there any tips or pitfalls that you have for me? I have
some Kodachrome slides, some Fujichrome, and a few Anscochrome. I work
with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit,and Picasa 3.

Thanks,

Mort Linder
Old April 1st 16, 05:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article , Mort
wrote:

Russell D. wrote:

I've been scanning the slides (mostly Kodachrome) that my father took
with my Nikon Coolscan V ED. I have been very pleased with the results.

Russell

Hi,

I just acquired a used Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED, and have not yet
used it. Are there any tips or pitfalls that you have for me? I have
some Kodachrome slides, some Fujichrome, and a few Anscochrome. I work
with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit,and Picasa 3.

Digital ICE is not always that effective with B/W and Kodachrome. On any
scanner. Don't get bothered if you encounter that. That's just the way
it is. It (DICE) subtracts the dust measured through an Infrared channel
from the scan.
--
teleportation kills
Old April 1st 16, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Russell D.

On 03/31/2016 07:37 PM, Mort wrote:
Russell D. wrote:

I've been scanning the slides (mostly Kodachrome) that my father took
with my Nikon Coolscan V ED. I have been very pleased with the results.

Russell

Hi,

I just acquired a used Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED, and have not yet
used it. Are there any tips or pitfalls that you have for me? I have
some Kodachrome slides, some Fujichrome, and a few Anscochrome. I work
with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit,and Picasa 3.

Thanks,

Mort Linder

Some of the slides that I have been scanning have not been treated as
they should have and are in rough shape. I scan using Vuescan in Linux.
Vuescan has a feature that uses IR to to fix blemishes in scans. It does
not work with black and white but work fairly well with Kodachrome. This
Kodachrome slide was taken in 1953. The first is a straight scan the
second has had the IR filter applied. BTW, that's me teaching my dad how
to drive a tractor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lo6ig65ci0...0x800.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wg5spzb231...0x800.jpg?dl=0

Sorry for the link wrap. You should be able to copy and paste it into a
browser.

Russell

Old April 1st 16, 08:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2016-03-31 21:37, Mort wrote:

I just acquired a used Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED, and have not yet
used it. Are there any tips or pitfalls that you have for me? I have
some Kodachrome slides, some Fujichrome, and a few Anscochrome. I work
with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit,and Picasa 3.

I don't know if the Nikon scan s/w works under Windows 7/64. It's a
pita to work with, but the colours are easier to get right.

Vuescan is your alternate. Easier to work with but harder to get
colours just right.

ICE does not work well with the Kodachrome slides.

I recommend you make all scans at max resolution (4000) and keep that as
a master (TIF). Use Photoshop on that to derive other sizes and JPG files.

Before all that, go through your slides to decide which are worth it
(for whatever criteria makes it worth it to you).

Spend a lot of time going up the learning curve. It's worth it in the
long run if you have a lot of slides to scan.

see also: www.scantips.com

--
"But I am somehow extraordinarily lucky, for a guy with ****ty luck."
..Harrison Ford, Rolling Stone - 2015-12-02
Old April 1st 16, 09:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Alan Browne wrote:
On 2016-03-31 21:37, Mort wrote:

[...]

Thanks a lot for the helpful tips.I have thousand of slides, going back
to about 1950, including 6 years of studying in Europe, and will
perforce be highly selective in scanning the best ones only. Otherwise,
my life expectancy will not permit completion. (I am 87 now.)

Mort Linder
Old April 1st 16, 11:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Alan Browne wrote:
On 2016-03-31 21:37, Mort wrote:

[...]

Hope I make it that far. Hope the finances make it that far. Optimally
I'll converge on 0. Or bounced cheques - talk about optimum!

Post some good ones.

Old April 3rd 16, 06:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On Fri, 01 Apr 2016 16:35:05 -0400, Mort %A wrote in
:

Alan Browne wrote:
On 2016-03-31 21:37, Mort wrote:

[...]

I've scanned some family slides from the fifties and sixties taken by my
parents as well as my own from later. I scanned them to DNGs with
Vuescan so that I can batch process them later in my favorite RAW converter.

Now, I'm taking a deep breath before I enter the Monochrome Zone...
--
teleportation kills
Old April 4th 16, 01:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 3/31/2016 9:37 PM, Mort wrote:
Russell D. wrote:

I've been scanning the slides (mostly Kodachrome) that my father took
with my Nikon Coolscan V ED. I have been very pleased with the results.

Russell

Hi,

I just acquired a used Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED, and have not yet
used it. Are there any tips or pitfalls that you have for me? I have
some Kodachrome slides, some Fujichrome, and a few Anscochrome. I work
with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit,and Picasa 3.

Thanks,

Mort Linder

I was able to recover the color in some old faded images of my kids,
using PS. I did not document my procedure as I just played around until
I got something reasonable. Because of recent circumstances the recovery
is quite important to me.

--
PeterN
Old April 4th 16, 01:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joe Makowiec

On 03 Apr 2016 in rec.photo.digital, PeterN wrote:

I was able to recover the color in some old faded images of my kids,
using PS. I did not document my procedure as I just played around
until I got something reasonable. Because of recent circumstances
the recovery is quite important to me.

I've had decent success with the technique in this tutorial:

http://photoblogstop.com/photoshop/a...s-in-photoshop

or, shortened:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/adjust-colors

--