You don't need a fancy DSLR to get a rare shot in difficult conditions.

Old April 2nd 16, 09:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default You don't need a fancy DSLR to get a rare shot in difficult conditions.

On Apr 2, 2016, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 3/25/2016 1:54 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Mar 25, 2016, Alfred Molon wrote
(in om):

In , PeterN says...
And maybe not. Perhaps she might not have been able to carry the setup
you suggest, unless she had a personal Sherpa.

A small DSLR or a micro 4/3 camera is not that heavy.

I believe that Eric has/had at least one adequate compact camera which

would
also have served well on his wife’s trip (he used it in Denmark). It

would
have been easier to handle than the iPad for that type of shot. However,
since it was her trip, she had to make the decisions regarding what to

pack,
or not pack. I suspect that photography was not the primary purpose of her
trip, and the snow leopard was a fortuitous subject.

IIRC seeing the critter in its natural habitat was the purpose for the
trip. The capture is proof of mission accomplished.

If seeing the critter in its natural habitat was the purpose for the trip,
then like a birder, you would think that she would be carrying a good pair of
binoculars or a spotting scope. As for most birders, unlike us obsessive
photographers, the satisfaction is in the sighting so that you can add that
‘Carnival-plumed duck-billed Buzzard' to your life list, no photograph
needed. That was true for my wife who had several pairs of binoculars, one of
my spotting scopes, and no interest in photography.

Seeing is not photography, and an iPad is not necessarily the ideal tool to
photographically document a sighting. If obtaining proof of a sighting was
needed to support her claim of a sighting, then an appropriate camera/lens
combo, or having a travel companion better prepared to take the shot, even if
it was a compact with some real zoom capability would have been better. She
was fortunate to have the iPad in hand at the time of the sighting, because
that is not an item that one would usually have in one’s hands while on a
trek through the Himalayas.

Savageduck

Old April 2nd 16, 09:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 2, 2016, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 3/25/2016 4:40 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On 25 Mar 2016 09:45:47 GMT, wrote:

In , Eric Stevens

wrote:

I've told you my wife is in the foothills of the Himalayas trying to
catch up with a Snow Leopard.

She has just emailed back the following iPad images from the site:

First, a well camouflaged pussy
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...SizeRender.jpg

Second, a blurry pussy, but I hope to be able to fix that.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...3/IMG_0224.JPG

I thought these things were hard to catch up with but she seems to
have got somewhat close.

Yeah, so the subject is technically true, of course. But I think we can

all
agree that those photos are crap, and won't end up framed on any
mantelpiece
anytime soon. Had she had a good SLR with a goo glass, they would have

been
quite good photos, in focus and correct color saturation.

Of course, without the iPad, she would have had nothing I presume, so

it's
technically true and might serve as just a shot for personal memorabilia,
sort
of.

I agree that technically the photographs are crap but, from all
accounts, just seeing a snow leopard is rare, let alone being able to
take a photograph of it.

Some time ago I read an article in which a professional photographer
seet out to photograph a snow leopard. He had cameras and long focus
primes, tripods and all kinds of other gear, along with several
porters to carry it. After several days he got one photograph no
better than the ones my wife took.

I've just found out how my wife managed to get those shots with an
iPad. Someone had a viewing scope on a tripod and she took photographs
through that. Several people followed her example but unsurprisingly
those with DSLRs had little success.

Stop annoying some here with the facts.
Sounds as if you wife is having a neat time. I hope shae can do it for
many more years.

She enjoyed the trip, but depended on somebody else to lug appropriate
equipment which was already aimed at the subject.

Savageduck

Old April 2nd 16, 10:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 02 Apr 2016 13:33:26 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

[...]

She had to travel through India before she reached the Himalayas and
that was the part of the trip for which she wanted to take the iPad.
She didn't expect to be able to take photographs of a snow leopard but
she did want to see one. As it happened there were people up at the
camp site sharing around all kinds of equipment including spotting
scopes.

There was one guy with a long-focus Zeiss lens from which he was
hanging a Nikon D5. He also had a matching Zeiss spotting scope which
he was making available to others and he was the guy who suggested
trying to take photographs through it. This seems to have worked
reasonably well with iPads and the like.

Eric Stevens
Old April 2nd 16, 10:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 02 Apr 2016 13:36:41 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

She enjoyed the trip, but depended on somebody else to lug appropriate
equipment which was already aimed at the subject.

She didn't depend on it: she took advantage of it.

Quite a different thing.

Eric Stevens
Old April 4th 16, 01:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 4/2/2016 4:33 PM, Savageduck wrote:
[...]

All true but, IIRC the tour leader had a spotting scope.

--
PeterN