A Different GDR Tool

Old March 4th 15, 08:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default A Different GDR Tool

In the April edition of Photoshop User magazine, which was focused on
an editorial theme I am not particularly intrested in, wedding
photography, I found in the "Product Review" section, a review on
Unified Color's "HDR Express 3".
HDR Express 3 is a trimmed version of their top of the line "HDR Expose
3" and the review was enough to bait me into visiting their web site.

To cut to the chase, I have dowloaded the 30 day trial. It installs as
a stand-alone, and PS, & LR plug-ins. I have run a few tests of some
old 5 exposure bracket sets, and I am impressed.
I deliberately picked sets which had major ghosting issues due to
movement of people in the background. This was an issue neither NIK HDR
Efex Pro 2, nor PS HDR Pro have not been able to solve completely. HDR
Express dealt with the ghost movement & image alignment easily.

Then for those not favoring the surreal look of much HDR rendering this
seems to aim at producing realistically rendered images, and does so
quite succesfully.

They have a fair number of video tutorials available and I think this
is going to be my future go-to HDR tool

Just as another image processing tool to play with, give the trial a test.
http://www.unifiedcolor.com/products/hdr-express-3

Here is the result for my set with the ghosting problem, shared with
Adobe CC & DB sharing;
http://adobe.ly/18kdrTj
https://db.tt/SveGaRIl

Savageduck

Old March 4th 15, 09:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-03-04 19:25:52 +0000, Savageduck said:

[...]

....and here is another 5 exposure HDR with a ghosting issue, namely the
folks walking on the pier, and birds.
https://db.tt/y2GSamf5

Savageduck

Old March 4th 15, 10:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 4 Mar 2015 12:04:22 -0800, Savageduck

On 2015-03-04 19:25:52 +0000, Savageduck said:

[...]

Those are all darned good shots and I wouldn't have known they were
HDR unless you told me.

Can you tell us the magnitude of the dynamic range (stops) covered by
the images that were used to make the final HDR?

Eric Stevens
Old March 4th 15, 11:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-03-04 19:25:52 +0000, Savageduck said:

[...]

Thanks for that. I was primarily checking to see how HDR Express 3
dealt with ghosts, and reasonably "natural" appearing images. Both of
those sets were good for checking that.

Can you tell us the magnitude of the dynamic range (stops) covered by
the images that were used to make the final HDR?

The Bugatti was shot at ISO 400, the aperture was a constant f/5.0 and
the exposure bracket was controlled by shutter speed:
1/1250; 1/2000; 1/800; 1/500; & 1/320.
This effectively gave me a -2: -1: 0: +1: +2 EV exposure bracket,
basically a 4 stop range. I could have adjusted that upward by going to
a 7, or 9 shot bracket.

The "Shillelagh" was shot at ISO 200 @ f/10.0.
1/640; 1/320; 1/160; 1/80; & 1/40.

I suppose if I upgraded my D300S to a D7200, or a D750 I wouldn't have
to bother fooling with HDR.

Savageduck

Old March 4th 15, 11:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default A Different GDR (Should be HDR) Tool

Old March 5th 15, 12:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-03-04 19:25:52 +0000, Savageduck said:

[...]

In this shot the ghost correction was very telling as the guy polishing
had his head and right hand in a different position in each of the 5
frames. In 2 of the frames his head and hand were blurred.
https://db.tt/E5zVA9FC

....and again it was a -2; -1; 0; +1; +2, 5 shot EV bracket.

Savageduck

Old March 5th 15, 12:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 2015-03-04 19:25:52 +0000, Savageduck said:

[...]

I like the "Shillelagh" shot a lot, but something bothers me
about the water in those gray-green sunlit areas, like near the
bow of the Irene M and under the dock. IMHO, it has a bit of HDR
feel and also seems a bit too smooth/ripple free in those spots.

However, the smoothness could just be the boats blocking the
wind.
~~
I went ghost hunting and zoomed in on the birds and people.
I couldn't see any bird ghosting and just a little on the people.
I'm surprised there's no trace of ghosting in the rigging.

You've got me wondering what the best single exposure
of the "Shillelagh" looks like in comparison to the HDR.

==
Later...
Ron C

Old March 5th 15, 02:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-03-04 19:25:52 +0000, Savageduck said:

[...]

Here is a single exposure of "Shillelagh", with minimal NEF adjustment in LR.
https://db.tt/kNIUwtKS

....and the full EXIF story:
http://regex.info/exif.cgi?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fdl.dropboxuserconten t.com%2Fu%2F1295663%2FDemo%2FDNC_7727-Edit.jpg

....or
http://tinyurl.com/nkcbegm

Savageduck

Old March 5th 15, 02:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 2015-03-04 19:25:52 +0000, Savageduck said:

[...]

Thanks for the added context. I take back everything
I said about the grey-green areas.

==
Later...
Ron C

Old March 5th 15, 02:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 4 Mar 2015 14:11:29 -0800, Savageduck

On 2015-03-04 19:25:52 +0000, Savageduck said:

[...]

I wasn't going to mention that, but that was in the back of my mind.
After posting the chart
http://home.comcast.net/~NikonD70/Ch...#D70,D300,D750 it
occurred to me to wonder about HDR. More to the point, in the few
shots I have edited from the D750 I noticed that the histogram is
rarely clipped and always is very well positioned within the camera
range.

I've been keeping Paintshop Pro for it's embedded Nik HDR but it
requires manual editing to cope with ghosting and at the best of times
produces rather surreal images. See
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31088803/_DSC5447_8_9_50_51_Detail_Original.jpg
HDR express sounds just what I need and I will be interested in
hearing whether or not you go ahead and buy it.

Eric Stevens