Upgrade from EOS 500 to EOS 300D - keep lenses ?

Old June 27th 04, 12:14 AM
Rob James

Default Upgrade from EOS 500 to EOS 300D - keep lenses ?

Hi Folks,

I have a kodak DC280 2.1 mp camera which I've had for around 6 years now.
I shudder to think of the price I paid My wife has a Canon EOS 500 with
the stock FE28-80mm lense and a nice sigma EF70-300 lense. I'd like to take
the leap to Digital SLR and I'm nudging towards the Nikon D70. The only
thing holding me back is the option to go for the EOS 300D (body only) and
therefore reuse the existing normal and telephoto zoom lense.
Has anyone had any experience of using standard EF lenses with the EOS 300D
? I think the lens mount is backwardly compatable with the these (EF) lensed
but I'm not sure what benefitsthe EF-S 18-55mm lens has ?

Cheers

Rob J

Old June 27th 04, 12:50 AM
Phil Wheeler

Rob James wrote:

Hi Folks,

I have a kodak DC280 2.1 mp camera which I've had for around 6 years now.
I shudder to think of the price I paid My wife has a Canon EOS 500 with
the stock FE28-80mm lense and a nice sigma EF70-300 lense. I'd like to take
the leap to Digital SLR and I'm nudging towards the Nikon D70. The only
thing holding me back is the option to go for the EOS 300D (body only) and
therefore reuse the existing normal and telephoto zoom lense.
Has anyone had any experience of using standard EF lenses with the EOS 300D
? I think the lens mount is backwardly compatable with the these (EF) lensed
but I'm not sure what benefitsthe EF-S 18-55mm lens has ?

The Canon EF lens will work. The Sigma, depending on its age, may need
to be re-chipped by Sigma. And neither is an exceptional lens for
digital use (unless the 70-300 is the 70-II which does macro from
200-300 mm).

If you do go Canon, do get the kit lens. It is well worth the added
$100 and takes good pix. And if you ever want to sell the camera, it
will be easier with the lens to go with it.

At the wide end the 28-80 will be 45 mm equiv due to 1.6 cropping
factor. The 18-55 is on the order of 28-90, giving you a good lens for
wide views.

I would not let your present lens set drive you to Canon vs. Nikon. If
you had an IS lens or some L glass, that would be another matter.

Personally, I prefer Canon because there is really a rich set of lenses
to choose from.

Phil

Old June 27th 04, 01:45 AM
David Kilpatrick

Rob James wrote:

Hi Folks,

I have a kodak DC280 2.1 mp camera which I've had for around 6 years now.
I shudder to think of the price I paid My wife has a Canon EOS 500 with
the stock FE28-80mm lense and a nice sigma EF70-300 lense. I'd like to take
the leap to Digital SLR and I'm nudging towards the Nikon D70. The only
thing holding me back is the option to go for the EOS 300D (body only) and
therefore reuse the existing normal and telephoto zoom lense.
Has anyone had any experience of using standard EF lenses with the EOS 300D
? I think the lens mount is backwardly compatable with the these (EF) lensed
but I'm not sure what benefitsthe EF-S 18-55mm lens has ?

Go for it - the EOS 300D is really excellent for the price, and if you
have existing lenses, it will generally give as good a picture as the
D70 even if the features are not so comprehensive.

But be careful - try the Sigma lens on the 300D first. It may possiblu
work on a 500, but be outdated for a 300D. It might not function, and it
might not be upgrade-friendly. Just be sure to check before counting on
using the 70-300mm

David

Old June 27th 04, 02:18 AM
Namikis

get the 18-55 kit lens - it is great. sell the sigma on ebay and get a
similar canon lens instead.

Old June 27th 04, 03:16 AM
David Dyer-Bennet

"Rob James" writes:

Hi Folks,

I have a kodak DC280 2.1 mp camera which I've had for around 6
years now. I shudder to think of the price I paid My wife has a
Canon EOS 500 with the stock FE28-80mm lense and a nice sigma
EF70-300 lense. I'd like to take the leap to Digital SLR and I'm
nudging towards the Nikon D70. The only thing holding me back is the
option to go for the EOS 300D (body only) and therefore reuse the
existing normal and telephoto zoom lense. Has anyone had any
experience of using standard EF lenses with the EOS 300D ? I think
the lens mount is backwardly compatable with the these (EF) lensed
but I'm not sure what benefitsthe EF-S 18-55mm lens has ?

The benefit of the 18-55mm lens is that it has a somewhat decent
wideangle end on the 300D. Remember the 1.6 crop factor; so the 18mm
lens gives you an angle of view photographers used to 35mm film
cameras associate with 1.6x18mm = 28mm. That's not very wide; in
particular it's not too good as the *widest* lens in your arsenal.
(Personally I had 24mm, 20mm, and 17mm lenses *before* I got my first
digital camera).
Old June 27th 04, 09:51 AM
Giorgio Preddio

"Rob James" wrote in message ...
Hi Folks,

I have a kodak DC280 2.1 mp camera which I've had for around 6 years now.
I shudder to think of the price I paid My wife has a Canon EOS 500 with
the stock FE28-80mm lense and a nice sigma EF70-300 lense. I'd like to take
the leap to Digital SLR and I'm nudging towards the Nikon D70. The only
thing holding me back is the option to go for the EOS 300D (body only) and
therefore reuse the existing normal and telephoto zoom lense.
Has anyone had any experience of using standard EF lenses with the EOS 300D
? I think the lens mount is backwardly compatable with the these (EF) lensed
but I'm not sure what benefitsthe EF-S 18-55mm lens has ?

Cheers

Rob J

It is probably best if you start out with a brand new system. The
Canon EOS platform is going downhill. Their quality control is getting
worst by the week. Sample variation is at an all time high
inconsistency level. Put your money into the cutting edge of digital
photography. Buy a Sigma SD10 body and a few good Sigma lenses to
start. You couldn't buy a better camera in terms of build, image
quality, resolution, software, and advanced features. And you won't
need to spend the extra money on those Canon IS lenses because this
feature is already built into all Sigma bodies.
Old June 27th 04, 12:55 PM
David Kilpatrick

Giorgio Preddio wrote:

"Rob James" wrote in message ...

[...]

I don't even think this is Preddy. I think someone is adding extra lies
(IS built into Sigma bodies - complete nonsense!) to Preddy's usual
misplaced advice, and posting to make him look even more ridiculous.

Just ignore this post entirely.

David

Old June 27th 04, 03:32 PM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , Giorgio
Preddio wrote:
It is probably best if you start out with a brand new system. The
Canon EOS platform is going downhill. Their quality control is getting
worst by the week. Sample variation is at an all time high
inconsistency level. Put your money into the cutting edge of digital
photography. Buy a Sigma SD10 body and a few good Sigma lenses to
start. You couldn't buy a better camera in terms of build, image
quality, resolution, software, and advanced features. And you won't
need to spend the extra money on those Canon IS lenses because this
feature is already built into all Sigma bodies.

The only time the term "cutting edge" and Sigma could be used in the
same sentence would be something like:

Sigma continues to plod down the path of mediocre hardware marketed to
cheapskate amateurs, certainly at the opposite end of the spectrum from
cutting edge technology implemented by more mainstream companies.
Old June 27th 04, 04:31 PM
Phil Wheeler

Giorgio Preddio wrote:

"Rob James" wrote in message ...

[...]

Show the data (not yours!) to support that. The 300D I bought this
month has higher quality (e.g., DeadPixelTest) than the one I bought
last Sept and sold in Greece in May.

Put your money into the cutting edge of digital
photography. Buy a Sigma SD10 body and a few good Sigma lenses to
start.

Really a digi-photo cul-de-sac.

And you won't
need to spend the extra money on those Canon IS lenses because this
feature is already built into all Sigma bodies.

Not all IS is created equal. And Canon IS is the proven standard.

Phil

Old June 27th 04, 04:36 PM
Phil Wheeler

David Kilpatrick wrote:

I don't even think this is Preddy. I think someone is adding extra lies
(IS built into Sigma bodies - complete nonsense!) to Preddy's usual
misplaced advice, and posting to make him look even more ridiculous.

You mean someone trying to blacken George's reputation here? Hardly
seems possible :-)

Phil