Slave flash and digital camera

Old November 20th 04, 04:00 AM
Michael Meissner

"Frank ess" writes:

Someone else mentioned another shortcoming, but I have forgotten what it
was, and can't find the post.

I posted that the flash goes to sleep if you haven't fired a flash in awhile,
which is downright silly for a slave only flash IMHO (ie, you might be in a
studio tyoe setting and rearranging things, and the flash goes to sleep). I
can see it for regular flashes, just not a slave only flash.

--
Michael Meissner
email:
Old November 20th 04, 01:51 PM
Bill Again

"Michael Meissner" wrote in message
"Frank ess" writes:

Someone else mentioned another shortcoming, but I have forgotten what it
was, and can't find the post.

I posted that the flash goes to sleep if you haven't fired a flash in
awhile,
which is downright silly for a slave only flash IMHO (ie, you might be in
studio tyoe setting and rearranging things, and the flash goes to sleep).
can see it for regular flashes, just not a slave only flash.

--
Michael Meissner
email:
http://www.the-meissners.org

The Metz slave that I picked up this morning goes to sleep after 8 minutes,
counted from when it is turned on. But every time it is used or set it
starts counting again. However in order to get over this if it is not
desired then one can turn that setting off and the thing simply stays on
till you manually turn it off or the batteries run out.

Robert R.

Old November 20th 04, 08:02 PM
Patrick Mansfield

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 06:55:40 +0000, Frank ess wrote:

Michael Meissner wrote:
"Frank ess" writes:

And why make a slave only flash that goes to sleep? I can imagine a
studio type setup where you are trying to get things just right and
it takes longer than 3 minutes and the #@%! flash goes to sleep.

Holey moley. That's three.

My flash (not while on the camera) has been accidentally turned on,
and uses up the batteries! Sucks if you have it in your carry bag, pull it
out to use it and the batteries are dead.

A sleep is not the best way to fix this, better a lock out or better power
on/off button.

I usually pull one or some of the batteries to avoid the problem.

-- Patrick Mansfield

Old November 22nd 04, 01:51 AM
Michael Meissner

"Frank ess" writes:

Someone else mentioned another shortcoming, but I have forgotten what it
was, and can't find the post.

I posted that the flash goes to sleep if you haven't fired a flash in
awhile,
which is downright silly for a slave only flash IMHO (ie, you might be in
studio tyoe setting and rearranging things, and the flash goes to sleep).
can see it for regular flashes, just not a slave only flash.

The Metz slave that I picked up this morning goes to sleep after 8 minutes,
counted from when it is turned on. But every time it is used or set it
starts counting again. However in order to get over this if it is not
desired then one can turn that setting off and the thing simply stays on
till you manually turn it off or the batteries run out.

However, my reading of the Vivitar DF200 manual doesn't indicate such an
option. I do tend to believe that Metz flashes are better made and designed
than Vivitar, though you often times pay for that....

--
Michael Meissner
email:
Old November 22nd 04, 01:53 AM
Michael Meissner

Michael Meissner wrote:
"Frank ess" writes:

And why make a slave only flash that goes to sleep? I can imagine a
studio type setup where you are trying to get things just right and
it takes longer than 3 minutes and the #@%! flash goes to sleep.

Holey moley. That's three.

My flash (not while on the camera) has been accidentally turned on,
and uses up the batteries! Sucks if you have it in your carry bag, pull it
out to use it and the batteries are dead.

There are all kinds of failure modes with these things, though I tend to have
more of a problem with my PSD (portable storage drive) turning itself on when I
was using a Vosonic PSD than with the flash. However, in both cases, I could
tell the units were powering themselves on by the sound.

A sleep is not the best way to fix this, better a lock out or better power
on/off button.

Yep.