Epson color controls, photo enhance, ICM - which one for accurate photo printing?

Old July 2nd 04, 02:53 PM
Lindyhop

Default Epson color controls, photo enhance, ICM - which one for accurate photo printing?

I printed a digital photo on an Epson Stylus Photo 820 printer and the =
color balance was noticeably off. There are a number of color balancing =
options in the print driver, i.e. Photo Enhance, ICM, Color Controls =
(with gamma choices), and I wonder how to determine which one will give =
me the most accurate results (without having to print the same photo =
using every possible setting g)? The "Photo Enhance" option seems to =
do additional image processing, such as noise removal and sharpening, =
which I don't want since I've already adjusted the images. The ICM =
option is a simple On/Off choice, while the Color Controls offer a =
multitude of adjustments. I've already made gamma and temperature =
adjustments on the monitor with good results. Thanks!
Old July 2nd 04, 07:18 PM
Lindyhop

The ICM flow means there's a .icm file that describes how to translate =

the
numbers in the image file into numbers (colors) that will appear on =

the print,
or at least as close as is possible since the printer will always have =

fewer
colors than the screen (ie, smaller gamut) and lower brightness.
=20
Many of the good Epson Photo printers give you the ICM file for each =

paper
type, which allows you to 'soft-proof' in Photoshop by dumbing down =

the monitor
view to (hopefully) show the reduced gamut and brightness of the =

print. If you
have Photoshop V6 or later I can tell you how to do this.
=20
The printer you have has bundled all these profiles into one ICM file =

(your
EE163_1.icm or .icc) so you can't soft proof them separately. What =

happens is
that when you select the paper type to match what you're printing on =

the Epson
driver will pick the right ICM file for that paper.
=20
This works pretty well if your monitor is well calibrated and if the =

colors are
in gamut, and works poorly if the monitor is not properly calibrated.
=20
Here's some background if you're interested in CM basics ...
http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/13605.html
=20
Bill

Thanks!

Old July 3rd 04, 03:06 PM
Ray Paseur

My personal experience: Using Paint Shop Pro 7, I was never able to get the
colors "just right" on the Epson 1280, and I tried EVERYTHING g.

When I print using Photoshop Elements, I simply set the 1280 to "No Color
Adjustment" and the results are perfect.