Cat photo

Old May 12th 17, 04:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Cat photo

On 2017-05-12 00:15:30 +0000, "David B." said:

Do, please, read the WHOLE thread started by Mr Cook - called "Wanna
torrent? " - on the 'alt.computer.workshop' group.

Just *HOW* can I 'hang him out to dry'? (if you catch my drift!)

Out of interest I took a look at the alt.computer.workshop NG, and the
thread you are so concerned about.
I have a few observations:
1: This is the first, only, and last time I have gone/will go to that
NG. The overall tone of the combatants, and the lack of sane subject
matter does not pique my interest.
2: I discovered that several of those combatants, including "Diesel",
your "Mr Cook", have through their infiltration into several News
Groups I subscribe to, been filtered from my life.
3: alt.computer.workshop seems to have no value at all, and any sane
individual should abandon it ASAP, and I recommend the same for you.
4: As far as "hanging him out to dry" goes, it isn't worth the effort
and frustration. He currently sits in my filter #26 titled "Freeware
Warrior Assholes". The action for that filter is, "KILL".
5: You seem to be a nice enough guy, don't drive yourself crazy with
alt.computer.workshop, or "Diesel/Cook", just baffle all of them and
vanish from the alt.computer.workshop World.

Savageduck

Old May 12th 17, 08:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

On 2017-05-12 00:15:30 +0000, "David B."
said:

[...]

Thank you! :-)

I shall consider all you have said.

Did you know that *I* trained as a pilot - in the Royal Navy? I flew the
Jet Provost to begin, then the Hawker Hunter, both the twin seat version
and the single seater. My downfall came when I moved on to the mighty
Buccaneer - there were no dual controls; a very brave pilot sat in the
observers seat behind me!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackburn_Buccaneer

When it was thought that I might kill someone other than the enemy
(myself and/or my passenger!) I was grounded. I did, however, stay in
the navy and retrained as an Air Traffic Control Officer.

--
David B.

Old May 12th 17, 09:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-05-12 00:15:30 +0000, "David B." said:

[...]

Reading between the lines your basic flight school was in the Jet
Provost with advanced flight school in the Hunter, though I didn't know
the FAA used Hunters, or the Jet Provost which was long in the tooth by
the 1980's-90's, I thought they were only operated by the RAF. That
should put you in flight school in the mid/late 60's to mid/late
1970's. Perhaps the RAF handled basic training for FAA pilots, please
explain.

Then it seems you, for whatever reason, washed out when moving to the
Buccaneer. I guess it was a good thing that you weren't in the RAF
where the high performance fighter of that era was the EE Lightning,
which had its own accident prone history. Also if I am not mistaken the
RN was also flying F4 Phantoms in those days.

Savageduck

Old May 12th 17, 09:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2017-05-12 00:15:30 +0000, "David B."
said:

[...]

I remeber reading somewhere or another "There are only two good places
for the Buccaneer: either at high (subsonic) Mach numbers at low
altitude or parked in the hanger".

Eric Stevens
Old May 12th 17, 10:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

On 2017-05-12 00:15:30 +0000, "David B."
said:

[...]

Haha! :-)

After I became a civilian, someone once said to me -

"there's only one thing more useless on a yacht than a naval officer
..... and that is a bicycle"!

--
"Do something wonderful, people may imitate it." (Albert Schweitzer)

Old May 12th 17, 05:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Fri, 12 May 2017 06:01:25 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Thursday, 11 May 2017 16:27:40 UTC+1, Bill W wrote:
On Thu, 11 May 2017 03:30:17 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Wednesday, 10 May 2017 20:18:07 UTC+1, Bill W wrote:
On Wed, 10 May 2017 11:49:22 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 5/10/2017 11:05 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

Some years ago I had lunch with some vegetarian friends, who claimed
never to have eaten meat. We went to a vegetarian Chinese restaurant,
where they encouraged me to try the vegetarian pork. When they told me
it tastes like the real thing, I refrained from asking how they knew.

why didn't you?

Because I don't need to get my rocks off by being an obnoxious A-hoe
like you.

It's a pretty innocent question. They might have just been repeating
what they had been told by others who had eaten pork. Nothing wrong
with that.

There's everything wrong in that. it;s like fake news it gives people the wrong impression at best at worst it's a lie meant to influnce you in some way.

There's nothing wrong with it if those people really think it tastes
like the real thing.

So there's nothing wrong in fakes then.

Not if it's clear it's not the real thing.

A bit like selling horsemeat as prime beef nothing wrong atv all if people cant' taste the difference.

Very different. No one was telling anyone that the fake pork was real,
just that it tasted like the real thing.
Old May 13th 17, 01:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

On 2017-05-12 07:27:32 +0000, "David B."

On 2017-05-12 00:15:30 +0000, "David B."
said:

[...]

My apologies for the delay in responding, Savageduck.

You were pretty much spot on! :-)

Basic flying training was, indeed, with the RAF on the Jet Provost 3 and
4 and took us to 'wings' standard. That was at RAF Linton-on-Ouse in
Yorkshire. I was there for much of 1968.

From there I went to RNAS Brawdy in South West Wales. There were two
separate squadrons - one with the Hunter T8 and the other with the GA11.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Hunter

Operational training on the Buccaneer was at RNAS Lossiemouth in the
north of Scotland. Familiarization was conducted in what was called a
'Chinese' Hunter - the cockpit had been revamped to mirror that of the
Buccaneer. There was also an aged simulator but it was of a Mk1
Buccaneer - totally different from the Mk2 which I was to fly! Scary stuff!

We did indeed have F4 Phantoms coming into service and it was THAT
aircraft which I had hoped to fly. Sadly, our government had already
decided to prune our armed services and the need for pilots was much
reduced.

I did, though, spend two years serving in HMS Ark Royal as an ATCO
1972-74 and visited both Fort Lauderdale and Jacksonville in Florida
where a fun time was had by all! You might enjoy watching this video
clip filmed shortly after my own time aboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv8prm4mGEQ&t=205s

It makes me realize how lucky I was not having had to fly to the deck!

--
David B.
Old May 13th 17, 02:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-05-12 00:15:30 +0000, "David B." said:

[...]

From there I went to RNAS Brawdy in South West Wales. There were two
separate squadrons - one with the Hunter T8 and the other with the GA11.

OK. That makes sense.
For those aircraft it wasn't too difficult to narrow my estimate your
active dates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Hunter

Operational training on the Buccaneer was at RNAS Lossiemouth in the
north of Scotland. Familiarization was conducted in what was called a
'Chinese' Hunter - the cockpit had been revamped to mirror that of the
Buccaneer. There was also an aged simulator but it was of a Mk1
Buccaneer - totally different from the Mk2 which I was to fly! Scary
stuff!

So the RN FAA was using the Hunters as trainers for the Buccaneer.
Interesting since as far as I can recall the RN never used Hunters for
active service operations.

We did indeed have F4 Phantoms coming into service and it was THAT
aircraft which I had hoped to fly. Sadly, our government had already
decided to prune our armed services and the need for pilots was much
reduced.

Those were tough years for both the RAF and RN when it came to budget cuts.

I did, though, spend two years serving in HMS Ark Royal as an ATCO
1972-74 and visited both Fort Lauderdale and Jacksonville in Florida
where a fun time was had by all! You might enjoy watching this video
clip filmed shortly after my own time aboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv8prm4mGEQ&t=205s

It makes me realize how lucky I was not having had to fly to the deck!

I have an odd relationship with both the RFC/RAF and the RN. You might
not have known, but my mother was British, and she was engaged to a
sailor on the HMS Hermes. He was killed when the Hermes was sunk by the
Japanese in 1942 off Ceylon in the Indian Ocean.
So the Japanese can be blamed for my presence in California, and not
somewhere in the UK.

I also have an uncle (married to my mother's sister) who served in the
RAF in North Africa flying Hurricanes and P-40's. He also survived the
war with severe burns received in a ground accident in North Africa.

My Grandfather was the family flying pioneer. He was one of the first
RFC pilots trained at Cambridge, and was fortunate to survive WWI
unscathed.

Savageduck

Old May 13th 17, 08:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

On 2017-05-13 00:18:05 +0000, "David B."
said:

[....]
My apologies for the delay in responding, Savageduck.

You were pretty much spot on! :-)

Basic flying training was, indeed, with the RAF on the Jet Provost 3
and 4 and took us to 'wings' standard. That was at RAF Linton-on-Ouse
in Yorkshire. I was there for much of 1968.

From there I went to RNAS Brawdy in South West Wales. There were two
separate squadrons - one with the Hunter T8 and the other with the GA11.

OK. That makes sense.
For those aircraft it wasn't too difficult to narrow my estimate your
active dates.

Were you a detective?!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Hunter

Operational training on the Buccaneer was at RNAS Lossiemouth in the
north of Scotland. Familiarization was conducted in what was called a
'Chinese' Hunter - the cockpit had been revamped to mirror that of the
Buccaneer. There was also an aged simulator but it was of a Mk1
Buccaneer - totally different from the Mk2 which I was to fly! Scary
stuff!

So the RN FAA was using the Hunters as trainers for the Buccaneer.
Interesting since as far as I can recall the RN never used Hunters for
active service operations.

The Hunter was a great aircraft and in those days it was used for the
advanced flying training of all future fixed-wing pilots be they
destined for the Buccaneer or the Phantom. Even those pilots destined to
fly the Gannet were first trained in the twin-seat Hunter!

Off topic, but you may enjoy exploring here - I did! ;-)

http://www.fradu-hunters.co.uk/history.html

We did indeed have F4 Phantoms coming into service and it was THAT
aircraft which I had hoped to fly. Sadly, our government had already
decided to prune our armed services and the need for pilots was much
reduced.

Those were tough years for both the RAF and RN when it came to budget cuts.

Indeed they were!

I did, though, spend two years serving in HMS Ark Royal as an ATCO
1972-74 and visited both Fort Lauderdale and Jacksonville in Florida
where a fun time was had by all! You might enjoy watching this video
clip filmed shortly after my own time aboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv8prm4mGEQ&t=205s

It makes me realize how lucky I was not having had to fly to the deck!

I have an odd relationship with both the RFC/RAF and the RN. You might
not have known, but my mother was British, and she was engaged to a
sailor on the HMS Hermes. He was killed when the Hermes was sunk by the
Japanese in 1942 off Ceylon in the Indian Ocean.
So the Japanese can be blamed for my presence in California, and not
somewhere in the UK.

No, I had no idea that your mother was (is?) British. Quite a blow for
your mum; some girls don't ever get over such a loss. May I ask where
your mother met your father - I believe you said he was flying in the
Far East?

I also have an uncle (married to my mother's sister) who served in the
RAF in North Africa flying Hurricanes and P-40's. He also survived the
war with severe burns received in a ground accident in North Africa.

Wow! He must be in his nineties now. Does he live in England?

My Grandfather was the family flying pioneer. He was one of the first
RFC pilots trained at Cambridge, and was fortunate to survive WWI
unscathed.

A VERY lucky man! :-)

--
David B.
Old May 13th 17, 09:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-05-13 00:18:05 +0000, "David B." said:

[....]
My apologies for the delay in responding, Savageduck.

You were pretty much spot on! :-)

Basic flying training was, indeed, with the RAF on the Jet Provost 3
and 4 and took us to 'wings' standard. That was at RAF Linton-on-Ouse
in Yorkshire. I was there for much of 1968.

From there I went to RNAS Brawdy in South West Wales. There were two
separate squadrons - one with the Hunter T8 and the other with the GA11.

OK. That makes sense.
For those aircraft it wasn't too difficult to narrow my estimate your
active dates.

Were you a detective?!!!

I retired as a Lieutenant and worked with several investigative teams,
mostly dealing with gangs (street and prison gangs) in California,
along with several special assignments which were done as solo
investigations. So I was as close to being a detective in my agency as
you were going to find.

[...]

They met and married in 1947 after the war, after my father left the USAAF.

I also have an uncle (married to my mother's sister) who served in the
RAF in North Africa flying Hurricanes and P-40's. He also survived the
war with severe burns received in a ground accident in North Africa.

Wow! He must be in his nineties now. Does he live in England?

He died some 15 years ago. My mother died in 2003, and her sister in
2007. The lone survivor from that generation in both the UK & USA is my
father. I still have some cousins, and my sister-in-law in the UK.

My Grandfather was the family flying pioneer. He was one of the first
RFC pilots trained at Cambridge, and was fortunate to survive WWI
unscathed.

A VERY lucky man! :-)

Astonishingly so.

Savageduck