Which DSLR to look for on ebay ?

Old September 28th 09, 02:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

Default Which DSLR to look for on ebay ?

J_P_S wrote:
Want to buy an earlier model DSLR to take some close up shots of
electronic parts.
Which camera I should be looking for? I am on low budget.

Notice how the answers posted so far are all over the
board? That's because more information on exactly what
you want to do is necessary to provide well reasoned
answers. People are recommending based on what they do
or have done, not on what you need...

What do you mean by "electronic parts"? The best answer
would be a range of sizes. Things as small as 1mm? As
small as 1cm? And what are the largest objects too, 8
foot racks???

Then of course there is the question of what you want to
do with the images. Full page magazine advertisements
in high quality rags? Or 2x2 inch square illustrations
to accompany text printed on regular inkjet paper?

What, relatively, is the budget range?

Also, what sort of facilities do you have available? A
tripod and a light box in a studio? Or are these done
on somebody's desk on Friday afternoon?

Provide as much perspective as possible if you want
reasoned responses.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old September 28th 09, 03:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
J_P_S wrote:
[...]

Agreed on all the points above. I'd bet a P&S with macro mode or
something screwed on the front could do the job.

A couple thoughts though:

I only know Nikon gear and would go with a D50 or D70 and an old manual
55mm macro lens. That's not going to meter though but a newer one that
meters will be expensive. It's not that bad in manual, if you are set up
with controlled lighting, just leave it at that setting. But it's still
a hassle. And it really would be nice to have live view for closeup
manual focus, which means one of the newest models, or just stick with a
P&S which allows zooming in to check focus.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net