Astia replaces Kodachrome?

Old September 7th 08, 11:14 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

Default Astia replaces Kodachrome?

Over at APUG quite a few folks have realized
that the latest improvements to Fuji's Astia - smooth
coating of emulsion side to make it easy to scan,
more consistent and vibrant colours - have placed it
as a valid alternative to the constantly dwindling K64.

That is also my experience. Anyone else?
Old September 7th 08, 03:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

Annika1980 wrote,on my timestamp of 7/09/2008 11:54 PM:
On Sep 7, 6:14 am, Noons wrote:
Over at APUG quite a few folks have realized
that the latest improvements to Fuji's Astia - smooth
coating of emulsion side to make it easy to scan,
more consistent and vibrant colours - have placed it
as a valid alternative to the constantly dwindling K64.

That is also my experience. Anyone else?

I prefer Astia because it is the most neutral film and provides the
most natural skin tones. While a film like Velvia might be "good for
greens" it gives lousy results for portraits. I prefer a film that
just captures what is there. If I want it to "pop" I can make it pop
later. Astia also handles whites better than most films which is
important if you are shooting weddings or snowy scenes.

Fuji have definitely been tweaking it. I reckon they even
added a slight cyan cast in the latest batches, to make it
more "Kodachrome-like"!
Nothing that can't be handled with the scanner, but it's
quite interesting how they've been playing without telling.
Another thing I've found with Astia and Velvia: kept
in the fridge even grossly expired, they still work
quite well.

Just been comparing some of my older Astia with the latest
emulsions and there is definitely a difference. The slight
blue cast is definitely there, so is the slight increase in
colour vibrance: it's not quite increased saturation, just
the reds and yellows seem "brighter", best I can define it.
And the scanning has changed: the NI profile I used to
clean the scan grain has had to be adjusted.

All good, I suppose. I still regret the near
disappearance of K but if Fuji steps in with Astia,
I'll take it. Don't really like any of the latest
Ektas from Kodak, even though they scan real good.
Old September 7th 08, 04:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Annika1980 wrote:
On Sep 7, 6:14 am, Noons wrote:
Over at APUG quite a few folks have realized
that the latest improvements to Fuji's Astia - smooth
coating of emulsion side to make it easy to scan,
more consistent and vibrant colours - have placed it
as a valid alternative to the constantly dwindling K64.

That is also my experience. Anyone else?

I prefer Astia because it is the most neutral film and provides the
most natural skin tones. While a film like Velvia might be "good for
greens" it gives lousy results for portraits. I prefer a film that
just captures what is there. If I want it to "pop" I can make it pop
later. Astia also handles whites better than most films which is
important if you are shooting weddings or snowy scenes.

Save a few bucks and use Sensia. Same thing (actually, they re-released
Astia to make it technically different, but...)

You cannot make a projected Astia look like Velvia.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old September 8th 08, 02:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

RobertL wrote,on my timestamp of 8/09/2008 9:46 PM:

What about longevity? one of the pluses for Kodachrome was that there
was no fading and the colours did not change much over many decades.

too early to decide on that!

Just kidding. My E6 Ekta 64 from the early 80s
is still in very good shape, so I reckon maybe
Astia will last at least as long as that.
Mind you: a lot younger than the 1950s 'chromes
I inherited from my parents.
Those still look as good as new...
Old September 8th 08, 03:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

Annika1980 wrote,on my timestamp of 8/09/2008 1:48 AM:
On Sep 7, 11:12 am, Alan Browne
wrote:

You cannot make a projected Astia look like Velvia.

Depends on what type of projector you're using.

Which one do you reckon gets the best results?
I use a very old Voigtlander with a relatively new
Rollei lens and it works quite well but am looking
around for something better. Ideally caroussel.
Old September 8th 08, 04:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Rol_Lei Nut

Noons wrote:
RobertL wrote,on my timestamp of 8/09/2008 9:46 PM:

What about longevity? one of the pluses for Kodachrome was that there
was no fading and the colours did not change much over many decades.

too early to decide on that!

Just kidding. My E6 Ekta 64 from the early 80s
is still in very good shape, so I reckon maybe
Astia will last at least as long as that.
Mind you: a lot younger than the 1950s 'chromes
I inherited from my parents.
Those still look as good as new...

My Fujichromes from the early 1980's also look fine.
I'd hope that newer formulations are at least as stable!
Old September 8th 08, 08:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bruce[_4_]

Rol_Lei Nut wrote:

Noons wrote:
RobertL wrote,on my timestamp of 8/09/2008 9:46 PM:

What about longevity? one of the pluses for Kodachrome was that there
was no fading and the colours did not change much over many decades.

too early to decide on that!

Just kidding. My E6 Ekta 64 from the early 80s
is still in very good shape, so I reckon maybe
Astia will last at least as long as that.
Mind you: a lot younger than the 1950s 'chromes
I inherited from my parents.
Those still look as good as new...

My Fujichromes from the early 1980's also look fine.
I'd hope that newer formulations are at least as stable!

The longest lasting slide film from Fuji is said to be Provia 100F,
which approaches (if not equals) the longevity of Kodachrome.

But where Fuji slide films score over Kodachrome is that they are more
stable when projected. Once again, Provia 100F is said to be the
best. Kodachrome survives incredibly well in storage but deteriorates
faster when projected.