Where I keep my spare cats.

Old May 22nd 17, 06:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Where I keep my spare cats.

In article , Diesel
wrote:

That does *not* mean malware written specifically to take
advantage of mac users doesn't exist. infact, it does.

it does, but it's rare and relies on the user to do something
stupid. the exploit is not the mac, but the person using it.

Most malware relies on stupid users...With some notable exceptions.
And, it's not as rare as you seem to think. In fact, it's on the
rise. I've included some urls in this post, but a simple search
query for osx or mac malware would provide LOTS more, if you
actually wanted to educate yourself.

there are some theoretical exploits, but almost nothing in the wild,
certainly nowhere near that of windows.

it's *really* hard to pwn a mac unless the user grants permission,
which is why the user is targeted.

Hospitals don't routinely use Macs.

yes they do, as well as a significant number of ios devices.

In which country? The ones I've seen in the states are PC Based. Not Mac.
The VA in Johnson City, TN is PC based. Not mac.

Do you have specific hospitals that are mac and not PC based?

hospitals use macs, windows, linux, ios and android, depending on the
task.

the days of companies being a slave to one platform are *long* gone,
which is a very, very good thing.

no one platform can do everything, nor should it.

while windows may be the most common, it's not the only system in
use.

No, it's not. And, PCs aren't limited to windows.

true, but nearly all pcs run windows, particularly desktops but also
dedicated systems such as atms, airport flight boards, etc.. linux is
mostly for servers. there are exceptions, but not very many.

Macs used to have the schools in the US on essential lockdown,
but, that's changed too. Now adays, kids are sent home with
Windows based laptops on lease from the school, typically budget
Dells (in this area)

nope. schools have mostly moved to chromebooks. there are also a
lot of ipads in use too.

Depends on what state/city you live in. As I said, in this area,
they are coming home with Dells, not macs.

for your particular city, it might be dell, but overall, chromebooks
have the lead and growing.

As for the schools doing the chromebook thing:

https://www.eff.org/press/releases/g...ents-internet-
browsing-eff-says-complaint-federal-trade
https://www.eff.org/wp/school-issued...tudent-privacy

maybe so, but schools are still buying chromebooks, and the first one
is not specific to chromebooks.

chromebooks are very well suited for schools for all sorts of reasons.

nope. mac os is *less* proprietary than windows is. much of it is
open source. almost none of windows is open source.

Some of it's open source, not all of it. And, I wasn't comparing it
to Windows, either. PC doesn't automatically mean, Windows, despite
the god awful actions of Microsoft to try and make it that way.

linux on the desktop is such a tiny market share that it can be
ignored, which is what most software and hardware developers do. it's
so low that it's almost a round-off error, and its userbase does not
like to pay for anything either.

linux is suited for servers or embedded devices, not the desktop.

not as much as you think you do, and very little of what you know
is applicable to macs.

You seem to grossly underestimate the knowledge I have on the
subject of Malware. I provided some links to some virus families I
wrote, personally. I also included the fact I was recruited to work
for a company known as Malwarebytes as an expert Malware Researcher.
I processed lots! of live, binary 0day, samples on a weekly basis
for them.

you grossly underestimate the knowledge i have about macintosh, ios and
apple itself. i've been writing mac apps since the mac came out and ios
apps for the past decade.
Old May 22nd 17, 06:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Diesel
wrote:

snip the rest of your ****

Too complicated for you to understand, I get it. That's probably why
you feel right at home on a Mac. They are good baby sitters for those
who don't know, or want to learn, how the machine in front of them
works. Apple prides itself on dumbing technology down and charging
you out the ass for it.

nonsense.
Old May 22nd 17, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-05-22 17:12:45 +0000, Bill W said:

On Mon, 22 May 2017 08:48:11 -0700, Savageduck

On 2017-05-22 15:20:28 +0000, Bill W said:

On Mon, 22 May 2017 02:06:13 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Friday, 19 May 2017 16:44:41 UTC+1, Bill W wrote:
On Fri, 19 May 2017 03:08:54 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
wrote:

someone calling themselves
emailed mt this morining with a zip attachment called 5566046.zip
do you think I should open that zip if so why ?

You have to open it to know what's in it...

Why would I want to know what's in it I'm not a cat ?

It was a reference to an infamous remark by one of our politicians.

Are you trying to confuse Schrodinger, or is this a proposition from
Wittgenstein?

Pelosi...

However, I was making a veiled reference to Schrodinger's Cat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger%27s_cat

Savageduck

Old May 22nd 17, 07:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 12:41:21 PM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
-hh
Mon, 22
May 2017 10:39:09 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

Hence, no one here really gives a damn about whatever axe you have
to grind.

I have no axe to grind...

Liar.

That's precisely why you just revived an old & dead thread to try
to be pedantic on my use of the slang term of "dinosaur juice".

Exactly, which includes all of your "but, but ... trust my ZIP
files" bull****.

You don't need to trust my zip file. Or me. I've provided enough
resources for you to fact check what I've written for yourself.

Your game was up as soon as one saw "alt.2600" it your headers.

You have a known stalking troll in your midst, and, I was simply
warning you about them.

Well if that's actually true, then your job is done ... So
goodbye!

Yes, my job is done. However, I'm not leaving just yet. I find
some of the conversations interest me. So, I'll remain for a bit.

BUT OF COURSE you'll find an excuse! /S

Besides, I've *never* taken orders from someone who's unable
to access usenet via a real server and client. I really don't
know how you can stand google groups idea of access...

Gosh, as if that lame excuse hasn't been tried before either!

While Google Groups does have its shortcomings, in its favor its:

(a) entirely OS independent;
(b) without any need to have Admin authority [1];
(c) provides full contextual continuity between multiple devices[2];
(d) without any hassle of a {USB hardware} dongle[3];
(e) without having to write & run my own server to any of this;
(f) and so on (I'm probably forgetting a few other points).

Footnotes:

[1] - Admin is required to install a Newsreader Application

[2] - Effectively, a cloud-based .rn file updated in real time

[3] - an old suggestion which would have worked on some desktops
was to carry around one's newsreader's .rn file on a USB thumb drive.
But this presupposed [1] as well as that USB drivers weren't disabled.

From a capability standpoint, there is AFAIK no equivalent match to
GG by any alternatives that anyone has suggested in the last ~decade.

But you're welcome to try.

And so, you now have 48 hours from the timestamp of your next r.p.d
post to provide a better solution from the above capability outline.

FYI, the reason for this arbitrary 48 hour deadline is so that a
failure to respond in a timely fashion still counts (because we
all know how "brave" trolls are in admitting that they lost! /S).

Good luck!

-hh
Old May 22nd 17, 09:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

someone calling themselves
emailed mt this morining with a zip attachment called 5566046.zip
do you think I should open that zip if so why ?

You have to open it to know what's in it...

Why would I want to know what's in it I'm not a cat ?

It was a reference to an infamous remark by one of our politicians.

Are you trying to confuse Schrodinger, or is this a proposition from
Wittgenstein?

Pelosi...

However, I was making a veiled reference to Schrodinger's Cat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger%27s_cat

Hmmm, that attachment could be both a virus AND a benign text file at
the same time! AVG has some work to do...
Old May 22nd 17, 09:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

someone calling themselves
emailed mt this morining with a zip attachment called 5566046.zip
do you think I should open that zip if so why ?

You have to open it to know what's in it...

Why would I want to know what's in it I'm not a cat ?

It was a reference to an infamous remark by one of our politicians.

Are you trying to confuse Schrodinger, or is this a proposition from
Wittgenstein?

Pelosi...

However, I was making a veiled reference to Schrodinger's Cat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger%27s_cat

Hmmm, that attachment could be both a virus AND a benign text file at
the same time! AVG has some work to do...

It could be absolutely nothing but a figment of ones imagination.

Savageduck

Old May 22nd 17, 10:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 22 May 2017 16:37:52 -0000 (UTC), Diesel
wrote:

-hh
Mon, 22
May 2017 10:39:09 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

Hence, no one here really gives a damn about whatever axe you have
to grind.

I have no axe to grind...

Exactly, which includes all of your "but, but ... trust my ZIP
files" bull****.

You don't need to trust my zip file. Or me. I've provided enough
resources for you to fact check what I've written for yourself.

'Trust me' - 'because I say so' is a logically indefensible
argument.

You have a known stalking troll in your midst, and, I was simply
warning you about them.

Well if that's actually true, then your job is done ... So
goodbye!

Yes, my job is done. However, I'm not leaving just yet. I find some of
the conversations interest me. So, I'll remain for a bit. Besides, I've

Old May 23rd 17, 12:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

someone calling themselves
emailed mt this morining with a zip attachment called 5566046.zip
do you think I should open that zip if so why ?

You have to open it to know what's in it...

Why would I want to know what's in it I'm not a cat ?

It was a reference to an infamous remark by one of our politicians.

Are you trying to confuse Schrodinger, or is this a proposition from
Wittgenstein?

Pelosi...

However, I was making a veiled reference to Schrodinger's Cat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger%27s_cat

Hmmm, that attachment could be both a virus AND a benign text file at
the same time! AVG has some work to do...

It could be absolutely nothing but a figment of ones imagination.

What quantum methods can I use to convert all my recent PC issues to
that figment? There must be a way. And then another way to make me
forget them.
Old May 23rd 17, 12:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

You have to open it to know what's in it...

Why would I want to know what's in it I'm not a cat ?

It was a reference to an infamous remark by one of our politicians.

Are you trying to confuse Schrodinger, or is this a proposition from
Wittgenstein?

Pelosi...

However, I was making a veiled reference to Schrodinger's Cat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger%27s_cat

Hmmm, that attachment could be both a virus AND a benign text file at
the same time! AVG has some work to do...

It could be absolutely nothing but a figment of ones imagination.

What quantum methods can I use to convert all my recent PC issues to
that figment? There must be a way. And then another way to make me
forget them.

the easiest way is to get a mac
Old May 23rd 17, 12:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-05-22 23:20:16 +0000, nospam said:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

You have to open it to know what's in it...

Why would I want to know what's in it I'm not a cat ?

It was a reference to an infamous remark by one of our politicians.

Are you trying to confuse Schrodinger, or is this a proposition from
Wittgenstein?

Pelosi...

However, I was making a veiled reference to Schrodinger's Cat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger%27s_cat

Hmmm, that attachment could be both a virus AND a benign text file at
the same time! AVG has some work to do...

It could be absolutely nothing but a figment of ones imagination.

What quantum methods can I use to convert all my recent PC issues to
that figment? There must be a way. And then another way to make me
forget them.

the easiest way is to get a mac

....and to understand the condition of the Mac, you have to look in the box.

Savageduck