About Epson 4870 scanner

Old February 24th 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Steven Woody

Default About Epson 4870 scanner

i am considering buy in a used Epson 4870 scanner for scanning my 6x6
and 35mm films. i heard 4870 comes with Digital ICE, but i dont know
if it is a ICE-3 ( ICE Cube )? and, what's the major difference
between 4870 and 4990? your kind advices will be highly appreciated.

-
woody

Old February 24th 07, 05:38 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Mike

They are very similar. I think the 4990 does slightly better (sharpness,
shadow detail), but not by very much. If you have a good deal on a 4870,
nab it. Nearly the same scanner.

Old February 24th 07, 06:55 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Steven Woody

On 2ÔÂ24ÈÕ, ÏÂÎç1ʱ38·Ö, Mike wrote:
They are very similar. I think the 4990 does slightly better (sharpness,
shadow detail), but not by very much. If you have a good deal on a 4870,
nab it. Nearly the same scanner.

i am considering buy in a used Epson 4870 scanner for scanning my 6x6
and 35mm films. i heard 4870 comes with Digital ICE, but i dont know
if it is a ICE-3 ( ICE Cube )? and, what's the major difference
between 4870 and 4990? your kind advices will be highly appreciated.

-
woody

thank you. about the ICE questions, do you get any idea?

Old February 24th 07, 10:10 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
David J. Littleboy

"Steven Woody" wrote:

thank you. about the ICE questions, do you get any idea?

The only part of ICE that's of concern/use is the dust removal. The rest is
automagic color correction (better done by hand) and noise (grain) reduction
(better done on a copy so you don't trash your scan).

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old February 24th 07, 02:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Gregory Blank

In article ,
"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

"Steven Woody" wrote:

thank you. about the ICE questions, do you get any idea?

The only part of ICE that's of concern/use is the dust removal.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

And one should use it selectively (as on a final scan) as it requires a
lot of system resources-ram and fast processor CPU. Especially with
large scans. Never the less its a great tool.
--
George W. Bush is the President Quayle we never had.
Old February 24th 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
-

You will be hard pressed to see any difference between scans done on the two
of these. While they don't have the trademarked ICE 3 system, Epson has
developed their own software options which do the same type of procedures.

Doug
--
www.BetterScanning.com - Custom Film Holders and Accessories for Agfa,
Microtek and Epson Scanners

Old February 24th 07, 07:56 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Gregory Blank

In article t,
" -" wrote:

You will be hard pressed to see any difference between scans done on the two
of these. While they don't have the trademarked ICE 3 system, Epson has
developed their own software options which do the same type of procedures.

Doug

When that 750V holder going to be available? Better yet come out with an
8x10 holder
--
George W. Bush is the President Quayle we never had.
Old February 26th 07, 09:32 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Steven Woody

On Feb 25, 3:35 am, " -" wrote:
You will be hard pressed to see any difference between scans done on the two
of these. While they don't have the trademarked ICE 3 system, Epson has
developed their own software options which do the same type of procedures.

Doug
--www.BetterScanning.com- Custom Film Holders and Accessories for Agfa,
Microtek and Epson Scanners

thanks for all your information. My epson 4870 is on the way :-)