TXP speed test

Old October 21st 04, 01:24 PM
Kevin

Default TXP speed test

I just got my first batch of 4x5 TXP (Tri-x Professional) film. I did
a speed test ( .1 density above base and fog) using D-76. It came out
2 stops slower than rated. This really has me concerned. I'm not sure
if this is normal for TXP, or if I have some bad developer or a bad
batch of film.

The developer is a brand new batch. I develeped it at 68 degrees for 6
mins.

If anyone has exerience with this new Tri-X please let me know what
you found.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old October 21st 04, 01:57 PM
Gregory W Blank

Kevin wrote:

I just got my first batch of 4x5 TXP (Tri-x Professional) film. I did
a speed test ( .1 density above base and fog) using D-76. It came out
2 stops slower than rated. This really has me concerned. I'm not sure
if this is normal for TXP, or if I have some bad developer or a bad
batch of film.

The developer is a brand new batch. I develeped it at 68 degrees for 6
mins.

If anyone has exerience with this new Tri-X please let me know what
you found.

Thanks,
Kevin

What dilution, is that 6 minutes what the data sheet suggests for the dilution you
used, also what speed did you rate the film at initially?

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old October 21st 04, 08:02 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Kevin" wrote

I just got my first batch of 4x5 TXP (Tri-x Professional) film. I did
a speed test ( .1 density above base and fog) using D-76. It came out
2 stops slower than rated. This really has me concerned.

What does a less pedagogical speed test reveal: what negative density do you
get with an 18% grey card? ~.8 - 1.2 od is about average, IIRC.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com
Old October 22nd 04, 01:50 AM
Kevin

I'm using D-76 undiluted. The recommended time for that with TXP is 6
mins. I haven't done a zone 5 test. I was actually thinking of doing
a zone 7 test, but I don't feel very confident that things are right
because having to overexpose by 2 stops seems excessive. I've never
had that problem with the old Tri-X.

Anyway, I think I will go ahead and do the zone 7 test and see if it
comes out with the excepted density.

"Kevin" wrote

Old October 22nd 04, 05:02 AM
Kevin

OK! There was something wrong. I double checked the dev time on the
D76 package and it was 9 min. for TXP instead of 6. I did a zone 5 and
6 test though with a 9 min. develpment and it still has a really low
density of .32. Zone six was .49. This is really perplexing.

Kevin

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 00:50:28 GMT, Kevin
wrote:

I'm using D-76 undiluted. The recommended time for that with TXP is 6
mins. I haven't done a zone 5 test. I was actually thinking of doing
a zone 7 test, but I don't feel very confident that things are right
because having to overexpose by 2 stops seems excessive. I've never
had that problem with the old Tri-X.

Anyway, I think I will go ahead and do the zone 7 test and see if it
comes out with the excepted density.

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 19:02:52 GMT, "Nicholas O. Lindan"

"Kevin" wrote