Mounting a Canon MR14ex ring flash

Old November 10th 04, 07:51 AM
rda

Default Mounting a Canon MR14ex ring flash

Hi guys, I was wondering on the compatibility of the MR14 with non canon
lenses.
I have the Sigma 50mm EX macro and was wondering if it was possible to mount
the Canon ring flash to this lens.

Does anyone use this combination?

Thanks

--
rda

Old November 10th 04, 04:40 PM
rda

"Bill Hilton" wrote in message
Probably not ... what is the filter size for the Sigma?

We use the MR14 and it fits on the Canon 100 f/2.8 macro, sliding into a
groove. This lens has a 58 mm filter size.

The MR14 won't fit the 180 mm f/3.5 L macro directly but Canon sells an

adapter
that screws into the 180 (which I think has a 62 mm filter size, or is it

67
mm? can't remember and am too lazy to pull it out and check, so you need

look this up before buying) ... this adapter lets you mount the MR14

properly
to the 180 macro.

So if the Sigma 50 has the same filter size as the Canon 180 macro (which

doubt) you can probably attach this adapter and mount the ring flash that

way.

Thanks for the info.
The Sigma 50mm has a 55mm filter thread.
Maybe then I could get a 55-67 step up ring and then the adapter for the 180
macro.
Ill have to wait and see as its too late and I bought the mr14ex on ebay.
Didn't think about mounting the thing till it was too late.

--
rda

Old November 10th 04, 06:45 PM
Dave Herzstein

rda wrote:
"Bill Hilton" wrote in message
Probably not ... what is the filter size for the Sigma?
The MR14 won't fit the 180 mm f/3.5 L macro directly but Canon sells an
adapter that screws into the 180 (which I think has a 62 mm filter size,
or is it 67 mm?.......

Thanks for the info.
The Sigma 50mm has a 55mm filter thread.
Maybe then I could get a 55-67 step up ring and then the adapter for the 180
macro.
Ill have to wait and see as its too late and I bought the mr14ex on ebay.
Didn't think about mounting the thing till it was too late.

Canon makes Macrolite Adapters in 52mm, 58mm and 72mm (the filter size
of the EF 180 Macro). B&H sells them:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=22&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O= SearchBar&A=search&Q=*&shs=Macrolite+Adapter&image .x=3&image.y=8

-Dave
Old November 10th 04, 07:42 PM
Bill Hilton

From: Dave Herzstein

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...s&pn=1&sq=desc
&InitialSearch=yes&O=SearchBar&A=search&Q=*&shs=Ma crolite+Adapter&image.x=
3&image.y=8

That's a good link ... the original poster would probably be better off with
the 58C since it's half the price of the 72C and probably a 55 - 58 mm step up
ring is easier to find and carry.
Old November 10th 04, 08:33 PM
rda

"Bill Hilton" wrote in message
That's a good link ... the original poster would probably be better off

with
the 58C since it's half the price of the 72C and probably a 55 - 58 mm

step up
ring is easier to find and carry.

Thanks loads guys. I have just ordered the 58C for £3 ! and a 55-58 step up
ring.

Thanks again

--
rda