Smartphone image quality

Old October 15th 11, 12:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default Smartphone image quality

I just upgraded my mobile phone to a Samsung S2 and am surprised by the
image quality of shots taken with it:

http://www.molon.de/S2/P1.jpg
http://www.molon.de/S2/P2.jpg
http://www.molon.de/S2/P3.jpg

These are all ISO 32, F2.65, exposure times ranging from 1/580 to
1/3666s. These are low noise with good sharpness across the entire
frame.

Even this indoor shot looks good:
http://www.molon.de/S2/P4.jpg

All taken with default settings. What do you think?
--

Alfred Molon
Old October 15th 11, 05:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
I just upgraded my mobile phone to a Samsung S2 and am surprised by the
image quality of shots taken with it:

http://www.molon.de/S2/P1.jpg
http://www.molon.de/S2/P2.jpg
http://www.molon.de/S2/P3.jpg

These are all ISO 32, F2.65, exposure times ranging from 1/580 to
1/3666s. These are low noise with good sharpness across the entire
frame.

Even this indoor shot looks good:
http://www.molon.de/S2/P4.jpg

All taken with default settings. What do you think?
--

Alfred Molon

I can see why some people predict the demise of the P&S camera. I wish my
iPad2 was as good.

Cheers,
David

Old October 15th 11, 05:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bruce
wrote:

I can see why some people predict the demise of the P&S camera.

Really? Then how do you explain the inexorable rise of p+s sales?

what rise is that? the iphone 4 is the most popular camera on flickr
and smartphones are definitely impacting sales of p&s cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/989...es-are-changin
g-digital-photography

According to Nigel McNaught, Director of the Photo Marketing
Association, quoted recently in Amateur Photographer magazine in the
UK: 'Itıs realistic to assume some of the loss in compact camera unit
sales is down to smartphones'. His explanation is simple:
'Smartphones are getting betterı. Whatever the reason, compact camera
sales have plummeted and in July 2011 plunged 13%, compared to only
the month before. In the UK, figures from the PMA show that the
revenue generated from compact camera sales fell by £46m for the year
to June 2011. Sales of compact cameras dropped 5% in this period,
but*DSLR sales rose by 9% and mirrorless interchangeable lens camera
sales rose by an astonishing 166%.

It's also possible to buy a p+s that offers much better image quality
than a smartphone for a fraction of the price of that smartphone.

fraction of the price? some smartphones are free. you can also get an
slr with even better image quality. so what?

a p&s is bigger than a smartphone and it is an additional item to
carry. a smartphone is more than adequate (and even ideal) for many,
many situations. different tools for different jobs.

All
the signs are that p+s prices will continue to reduce while smartphone
prices stay static because the market constantly demands more
features, so anyone predicting the demise of the p+s doesn't
understand the market.

anyone who thinks smartphones won't affect p&s cameras doesn't
understand the market. remind me again which p&s cameras you can get
for free and which ones can instantly upload images from pretty much
anywhere.

I wish my iPad2 was as good.

That's a cumbersome device for taking pictures. ;-)

using the ipad as a camera to take photos is very cumbersome, which is
why its camera is fairly crappy. it's good enough for facetime video
and augmented reality.
Old October 15th 11, 06:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

"Bruce" wrote in message
[]
I wish my iPad2 was as good.

That's a cumbersome device for taking pictures. ;-)

It is indeed! Elements of a view camera (in viewfinder size), but
completely lacking the image quality. But if it's all you have to hand
.... as has happened to me on a few occasions recently.

Cheers,
David

Old October 15th 11, 09:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 10/15/11 12:29 PM, in article , "David J
Taylor" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
[]
I wish my iPad2 was as good.

That's a cumbersome device for taking pictures. ;-)

It is indeed! Elements of a view camera (in viewfinder size), but
completely lacking the image quality. But if it's all you have to hand
... as has happened to me on a few occasions recently.

Cheers,
David

"The best camera there is, is the one that you have in your hands."

Or something like that...

Old October 15th 11, 09:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bruce
wrote:

anyone who thinks smartphones won't affect p&s cameras doesn't
understand the market. remind me again which p&s cameras you can get
for free and which ones can instantly upload images from pretty much
anywhere.

You can't get any smartphones for free without an airtime contract.
Only an idiot would pay for an expensive monthly airtime contract,
typically for two years, thinking that the bundled smartphone is
"free". The real price of the phone is what you pay when you buy one
without an airtime contract.

people are already paying a monthly fee for their cellular phone and
they would be paying it regardless of which phone they have. when it
comes time to renew, they upgrade to a smartphone for free instead of
another flip phone for free. that's a no brainer. or they might pay a
little for a higher end smartphone. since they now have a camera and in
some cases a very good camera, there's little need to buy a p&s.

anyone that thinks smartphones aren't affecting camera sales is blind
to what's actually happening, right now. as i said before, the #1
camera on flickr is an iphone 4.

There's another idiot on here who believes that Adobe Camera Raw and
Adobe DNG Converter are the same thing.

i never said that. don't twist things.

In both cases, you are that idiot.

nope.
Old October 15th 11, 10:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bruce
wrote:

people are already paying a monthly fee for their cellular phone and
they would be paying it regardless of which phone they have.

Nonsense. Total nonsense. Complete and utter nonsense. Your
specialty, it seems.

really? so people aren't paying for their monthly cell phone plans? on
what planet is this?

My last three airtime contracts:

With "free" cellphone: GBP 46 per month, 18 months.
SIM only, no phone: GBP 20 per month, 12 months.
With "free" cellphone: GBP 41 per month, 24 months. (current)

This is for exactly the same airtime package with the same network
(Vodafone). Same minutes calls, same # of texts, same broadband
internet. So my "free" cellphone is currently costing me GBP 21 per
month on a 24 month contract, which means it will cost me a total of
GBP 504.00 over two years.

That's over US$800. That's some "free" cellphone, eh?

*completely* missing the point.

when your plan is up, you renew it and get a free smartphone instead of
a free flip phone.

what's funny is that some people with a smartphone are paying less than
you are, *and* they have a smartphone.

But I forgot, you don't live on this planet.

sometimes i wish i didn't, since there is very little intelligent life
here.
Old October 15th 11, 11:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Bruce says...
Alfred Molon wrote:
I just upgraded my mobile phone to a Samsung S2 and am surprised by the
image quality of shots taken with it:
http://www.molon.de/S2/P1.jpg
http://www.molon.de/S2/P2.jpg
http://www.molon.de/S2/P3.jpg
These are all ISO 32, F2.65, exposure times ranging from 1/580 to
1/3666s. These are low noise with good sharpness across the entire
frame.
Even this indoor shot looks good:
http://www.molon.de/S2/P4.jpg
All taken with default settings. What do you think?

I think there is absolutely no control of depth of field because the
sensor is so tiny. What do you think?

Indeed. The focal length is fixed and also the aperture seems to be (at
F2.65).
--

Alfred Molon