repair this photo?

Old June 29th 11, 09:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
___P.Sir

Default repair this photo?

This photo from Spain last week has become somewhat hazy, dont know why.
Perhaps the sun, perhaps the lens, although other photos from same day are
okay..but anyone has an idea of how to make it clearer?

brgds
p.sorensen, Denmark

http://granvista.dk/foto/IMAG0035.jpg

Old June 29th 11, 09:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Martin Brown

On 29/06/2011 09:02, ___P.Sir wrote:
This photo from Spain last week has become somewhat hazy, dont know why.
Perhaps the sun, perhaps the lens, although other photos from same day are
okay..but anyone has an idea of how to make it clearer?

brgds
p.sorensen, Denmark

http://granvista.dk/foto/IMAG0035.jpg

Sun is almost overhead and camera facing into sun - likely a smear on
the lens is responsible for some haze on highlights. Distance haze may
well be real - cameras pick it up more than our eyes notice at the time.

Best bet is unsharp mask with radius 3 or 4 and 50-60% strength
according to taste and then histogram adjust. You might want to tweak
the shadow detail independently or next time use a fill in flash.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old June 29th 11, 09:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

"___P.Sir" wrote in message
This photo from Spain last week has become somewhat hazy, dont know why.
Perhaps the sun, perhaps the lens, although other photos from same day
are okay..but anyone has an idea of how to make it clearer?

brgds
p.sorensen, Denmark

http://granvista.dk/foto/IMAG0035.jpg

Any standard image editing program should be able to clear it up somewhat.
The old version of Paint Shop Pro I have has a "clarify" command. It
looks like condensation on the lens, the camera being taken from an
air-conditions interior into a humid environment, with insufficient time
for the condensation to clear. Likely you will never make the picture
perfect, though. Using "One step photo fix" from Paint Shop Pro I got
this:

http://www.satsignal.eu/IMAG0035-a.jpg

Cheers,
David

Old June 29th 11, 03:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-06-29 01:02:20 -0700, "___P.Sir" said:

This photo from Spain last week has become somewhat hazy, dont know why.
Perhaps the sun, perhaps the lens, although other photos from same day are
okay..but anyone has an idea of how to make it clearer?

brgds
p.sorensen, Denmark

http://granvista.dk/foto/IMAG0035.jpg

One can only try.

http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Repair-A1.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechut...ir-comp_01.jpg

Savageduck

Old June 29th 11, 03:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
G Paleologopoulos

"Savageduck" wrote in

On 2011-06-29 01:02:20 -0700, "___P.Sir" said:

This photo from Spain last week has become somewhat hazy, dont know why.
Perhaps the sun, perhaps the lens, although other photos from same day
are
okay..but anyone has an idea of how to make it clearer?

brgds
p.sorensen, Denmark

http://granvista.dk/foto/IMAG0035.jpg

One can only try.

http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Repair-A1.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechut...ir-comp_01.jpg

Savageduck

And to think that some consider cell-phone cameras a menace to
p&s's.................

Old June 29th 11, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-06-29 07:47:45 -0700, "G Paleologopoulos"

On 2011-06-29 01:02:20 -0700, "___P.Sir" said:

This photo from Spain last week has become somewhat hazy, dont know why.
Perhaps the sun, perhaps the lens, although other photos from same day are
okay..but anyone has an idea of how to make it clearer?

brgds
p.sorensen, Denmark

http://granvista.dk/foto/IMAG0035.jpg

One can only try.

http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Repair-A1.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechut...ir-comp_01.jpg

Savageduck

And to think that some consider cell-phone cameras a menace to
p&s's.................

....and therein lies the problem with that image. I suspect thumb grease
on the lens has provided the, ...er, interesting effect.

As I said we can but try to fix it. However, it seems to have a
fundemental problem placing it beyond a satisfying fix. ;-)

Savageduck

Old June 29th 11, 05:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

___P.Sir wrote:
This photo from Spain last week has become somewhat hazy, dont know why.
Perhaps the sun, perhaps the lens, although other photos from same day are
okay..but anyone has an idea of how to make it clearer?

brgds
p.sorensen, Denmark

http://granvista.dk/foto/IMAG0035.jpg

Really tough one but I think I found an answer:
http://edgehill.net/temp-/IMAG0035-unsharp-80pixels.jpg
That uses a very large radius unsharp mask to bring back contrast. It's
done on a copied layer set to luminosity so it doesn't wack out the
saturation. Plus some levels and white balance. You could boost the
saturation more but that just brings back the flaws so better to keep it
a bit subtle.
Old June 29th 11, 07:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Doug Bashford

And to think that some consider cell-phone cameras a menace to
p&s's.................

Isn't HTC supposed to be an upscale cell camera/phone?

Some here should LOVE it:

"The body of the HTC Legend is cut from a single piece of
brushed aluminium. ...gives you a strong device that can
take what life throws at it."

Meanwhile I still lust after an 8 oz. plastic
framed Ruger® LCP® compact .380 Auto!

The insane twist the facts to fit their world view.
The rational change their world view to fit the facts.
Old June 29th 11, 08:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Doug Bashford

about: repair this photo?

http://granvista.dk/foto/IMAG0035.jpg

Here's Irfanview's 2 minute fix.
I went 100% for the faces.
(see embedded JPG comments)

http://i56.tinypic.com/2u5x43p.jpg

tinypic reduced my 445K repair to
171K.

Old June 29th 11, 09:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
G Paleologopoulos

"ASCII" wrote in news:4e0d7f8f.2209859@EDCBIC...

Doug Bashford wrote:

And to think that some consider cell-phone cameras a menace to
p&s's.................

Isn't HTC supposed to be an upscale cell camera/phone?

Some here should LOVE it:

"The body of the HTC Legend is cut from a single piece of
brushed aluminium. ...gives you a strong device that can
take what life throws at it."

Meanwhile I still lust after an 8 oz. plastic
framed Ruger® LCP® compact .380 Auto!

Or the plastic (Zytel) gripped Ruger® KP-4 22-45 stainless.
It's only a little larger than the .380 Lightweight Compact Pistol
but will still fit in a pocket, if that's where you like to carry,
plus the ammo is cheap enough to encourage that all important practice,
so necessary for critical shot placement, with any small caliber firearm.

Not to forget the Glock pistols!