Smartphone image quality

Old October 16th 11, 02:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Default Smartphone image quality

David J Taylor wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message
[]
I wish my iPad2 was as good.

That's a cumbersome device for taking pictures. ;-)

It is indeed! Elements of a view camera (in viewfinder size), but
completely lacking the image quality. But if it's all you have to hand
... as has happened to me on a few occasions recently.

Cheers,
David

My Incredible 2 Smartphone takes decent pictures. However, for excellent
pictures with some degree of my control, I carry a pocket-size Canon
S-95 camera. With the latter, I get sharp 8 x 10" prints even from
cropped images, and it has a 4:1 optical zoom. Smartphone images are
better than nothing, to quote an old joke which is no longer p.c..

Regards,

Mort Linder
Old October 16th 11, 03:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

My Incredible 2 Smartphone takes decent pictures. However, for excellent
pictures with some degree of my control, I carry a pocket-size Canon
S-95 camera. With the latter, I get sharp 8 x 10" prints even from
cropped images, and it has a 4:1 optical zoom. Smartphone images are
better than nothing, to quote an old joke which is no longer p.c..

Regards,

Mort Linder

"Decent" is at least as good as some compact cameras, as Alfred's images
demonstrate. A step up from "better than nothing".

Cheers,
David

Old October 16th 11, 12:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
G Paleologopoulos

"David J Taylor" wrote in message ...
My Incredible 2 Smartphone takes decent pictures. However, for excellent
pictures with some degree of my control, I carry a pocket-size Canon
S-95 camera. With the latter, I get sharp 8 x 10" prints even from
cropped images, and it has a 4:1 optical zoom. Smartphone images are
better than nothing, to quote an old joke which is no longer p.c..

Regards,

Mort Linder

"Decent" is at least as good as some compact cameras, as Alfred's images
demonstrate. A step up from "better than nothing".
Cheers,
David

And the price of the phone of the OP is...........??
(Looked it up.....twice the price of a P&S!!)

Old October 16th 11, 01:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article 1318764559.171019@athprx03, G Paleologopoulos says...
And the price of the phone of the OP is...........??
(Looked it up.....twice the price of a P&S!!)

369 Euro with the contract extension (20 Euro monthly which includes an
Internet flat rate and some air time for calls), 420 Euro in the
Internet.

The contract extension with T-Mobile was only available with a mobile
phone.

But let me stress that I didn't buy the smartphone to use it as a
camera. I bought it to have a device for the mobile Internet, to manage
my appointments, make calls, as a navigation system and many other
reasons. And by the way, the Samsung S2 has a great AMOLED screen.

I guess it's the same story for those who buy an iphone, an ipad, a
tablet or another smartphone. You buy it for many reasons, and the
capability to take pictures is just an unrequested, perhaps welcome add-
on.

Never in my life I would have considered this thing as a serious device
for taking photos, until I actually played with it and took some shots.
What a surprise.
--

Alfred Molon
Old October 16th 11, 07:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , MC says...
It is not free. An upgrade maybe but not free.

The camera function is free, because you don't buy the smartphone to use
it as a camera. You buy it for the other purposes and the camera
functionality comes in as a free add-on.
--

Alfred Molon
Old October 18th 11, 06:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 10/15/2011 12:49 PM, nospam wrote:
In , Bruce
wrote:

I can see why some people predict the demise of the P&S camera.

Really? Then how do you explain the inexorable rise of p+s sales?

what rise is that? the iphone 4 is the most popular camera on flickr
and smartphones are definitely impacting sales of p&s cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/989...es-are-changin
g-digital-photography

According to Nigel McNaught, Director of the Photo Marketing
Association, quoted recently in Amateur Photographer magazine in the
UK: 'Itıs realistic to assume some of the loss in compact camera unit
sales is down to smartphones'. His explanation is simple:
'Smartphones are getting betterı. Whatever the reason, compact camera
sales have plummeted and in July 2011 plunged 13%, compared to only
the month before. In the UK, figures from the PMA show that the
revenue generated from compact camera sales fell by £46m for the year
to June 2011. Sales of compact cameras dropped 5% in this period,
but DSLR sales rose by 9% and mirrorless interchangeable lens camera
sales rose by an astonishing 166%.

It's also possible to buy a p+s that offers much better image quality
than a smartphone for a fraction of the price of that smartphone.

fraction of the price? some smartphones are free. you can also get an
slr with even better image quality. so what?

a p&s is bigger than a smartphone and it is an additional item to
carry. a smartphone is more than adequate (and even ideal) for many,
many situations. different tools for different jobs.

All
the signs are that p+s prices will continue to reduce while smartphone
prices stay static because the market constantly demands more
features, so anyone predicting the demise of the p+s doesn't
understand the market.

anyone who thinks smartphones won't affect p&s cameras doesn't
understand the market. remind me again which p&s cameras you can get
for free and which ones can instantly upload images from pretty much
anywhere.

I wish my iPad2 was as good.

That's a cumbersome device for taking pictures. ;-)

using the ipad as a camera to take photos is very cumbersome, which is
why its camera is fairly crappy. it's good enough for facetime video
and augmented reality.

What else would you expect a person, who makes a living selling P&S
cameras, to say.

--
Peter
Old October 18th 11, 06:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 10/15/2011 2:26 PM, Bruce wrote:
wrote:

anyone who thinks smartphones won't affect p&s cameras doesn't
understand the market. remind me again which p&s cameras you can get
for free and which ones can instantly upload images from pretty much
anywhere.

You can't get any smartphones for free without an airtime contract.
Only an idiot would pay for an expensive monthly airtime contract,
typically for two years, thinking that the bundled smartphone is
"free". The real price of the phone is what you pay when you buy one
without an airtime contract.

There's another idiot on here who believes that Adobe Camera Raw and
Adobe DNG Converter are the same thing.

In both cases, you are that idiot.

And you claim that I post bile.
Hypocrite!!

--
Peter
Old October 18th 11, 06:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 10/16/2011 11:48 AM, MC wrote:
nospam wrote:

In , Bruce
wrote:

That's over US$800. That's some "free" cellphone, eh?

completely missing the point.

Part of your contract pays for the phone. This costs is not itemised
and is hidden inside the tarrif but whichever way you look at it you
are still paying for the phone over the period of the contract.

when your plan is up, you renew it and get a free smartphone instead
of a free flip phone.

It is not free. An upgrade maybe but not free.

Depends upon your uses. I like a smartphone for browsing while waiting.
Yes I pay for the service, but it's only a few bucks a month more and
includes GPS Navigation, needs finding, (gas, restaurants, bathrooms, etc.
I consider the camera feature free, as I have little use for it.

--
Peter
Old October 18th 11, 06:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 10/16/2011 1:02 PM, Bruce wrote:
wrote:
In , Bruce
wrote:

But I forgot, you don't live on this planet.

sometimes i wish i didn't, since there is very little intelligent life
here.

Thank God for kill files. Bye! ;-)

Typical Bruce.
He denigrates and then when there is a predictable reaction, killfiles
that person. (At least he says he does.)
I know you are reading this, Brucie!

--
Peter