Diffraction limit for APS-C DLSRs

Old January 14th 11, 09:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

Default Diffraction limit for APS-C DLSRs

It is set to one hour intervals because, as I pointed out to you, that
is how *I* have it configured and, since my clock wasn't out in the
first place, it couldn't "provide better accuracy".

[]
--
Kennedy

To clarify, that's SNTP you are using, as NTP automatically sets the best
poll interval, and does so dynamically. Other features of the NTP
algorithms provide better accuracy.

Cheers,
David

Old January 14th 11, 05:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kennedy McEwen

In article , David J Taylor
writes
It is set to one hour intervals because, as I pointed out to you,
that is how *I* have it configured and, since my clock wasn't out in
the first place, it couldn't "provide better accuracy".

[]
-- Kennedy

To clarify, that's SNTP you are using, as NTP automatically sets the
best poll interval, and does so dynamically. Other features of the NTP
algorithms provide better accuracy.

To clarify, you can't make something that wasn't out more accurate.
I suggest you direct your advertising campaign to those who need it.
--
Kennedy
Old January 14th 11, 08:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

To clarify, you can't make something that wasn't out more accurate.
I suggest you direct your advertising campaign to those who need it.
--
Kennedy

Just a correction in your terminology, Kennedy. Your software is not
using the full NTP, but the simplified SNTP.

Cheers,
David

Old January 15th 11, 05:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kennedy McEwen

In article , David J Taylor
writes
To clarify, you can't make something that wasn't out more accurate.
I suggest you direct your advertising campaign to those who need it.
-- Kennedy

Just a correction in your terminology, Kennedy. Your software is not
using the full NTP, but the simplified SNTP.

And a correction in your assumptions David. My PC clock wasn't and
isn't at fault so adding unnecessary crap certainly isn't going to help.
Go shove your software where its needed.
--
Kennedy
Old January 15th 11, 08:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

And a correction in your assumptions David. My PC clock wasn't and
isn't at fault so adding unnecessary crap certainly isn't going to help.
Go shove your software where its needed.
--
Kennedy

Why so impolite? I never said your PC clock was at fault and NTP is not
"my" software, but it is widely used to keep PCs and servers in sync.
That's all. No need to get upset about it. It sounds as if I caught you
on a bad day! Sorry!

Cheers,
David

Old January 15th 11, 11:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
G Paleologopoulos

"David J Taylor" wrote

......snip a lot........................

Cheers,
David

The technical information presented in this thread were refreshingly
instructive.
Thanks guys, George

Old January 15th 11, 01:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

"G Paleologopoulos" wrote in message
[]
The technical information presented in this thread were refreshingly
instructive.
Thanks guys, George

I'm glad you enjoyed it, George. In case anyone missed it, please see:

http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/setup.html#why

I try and set my family's cameras to within a second of correct time at
the start of a trip, to ease the problems of correlating shots from
different cameras later on. I haven't got a camera with GPS, although I
can see the advantages to that.

Cheers,
David

Old January 15th 11, 02:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
G Paleologopoulos

"David J Taylor" wrote

"G Paleologopoulos" wrote in message
[]
The technical information presented in this thread were refreshingly
instructive.
Thanks guys, George

I'm glad you enjoyed it, George. In case anyone missed it, please see:

http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/setup.html#why

I try and set my family's cameras to within a second of correct time at
the start of a trip, to ease the problems of correlating shots from
different cameras later on. I haven't got a camera with GPS, although I
can see the advantages to that.

Cheers,
David

Any and all of my (and my family's) camera's times are set to UTC (ZULU) so
as to avoid any confusion concerning location or Summer time.
Seems to be working.
Rgrds, George

Old January 15th 11, 02:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke[_2_]

In article ,
says...

In article , David J Taylor
writes
It is set to one hour intervals because, as I pointed out to you,
that is how *I* have it configured and, since my clock wasn't out in
the first place, it couldn't "provide better accuracy".

[]
-- Kennedy

To clarify, that's SNTP you are using, as NTP automatically sets the
best poll interval, and does so dynamically. Other features of the NTP
algorithms provide better accuracy.

To clarify, you can't make something that wasn't out more accurate.
I suggest you direct your advertising campaign to those who need it.

What on Earth are you on about? What leads you to believe that he is
"advertising" free software developed by the University of Delaware,
from which the SNTP that you are using was derived? He's providing you
with information that you for some reason seem to be angry about
recieving.

And by applying correction factors calculated against a reference you
can in the short term achieve greater accuracy from a clock than you
would by reading it directly. You might want to find a navigation text
and read the section on chronometers and how they are used.

And if your clock is so accurate why are you hitting some poor *******'s
time server so often? You shouldn't need to hit it more than once a
week if your clock is accurate and you are not doing high precision
scientific or navigational work.

Old January 15th 11, 02:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

Any and all of my (and my family's) camera's times are set to UTC (ZULU)
so as to avoid any confusion concerning location or Summer time.
Seems to be working.
Rgrds, George

Mine are, my wife's aren't! She prefers local time, and then forgets to
reset the time after visiting abroad! Interesting that there are three
settings required (at least on my Nikon):

- the time zone
- the DST offset - active or not
- the wall-clock time

I like to geo-tag some pictures, hence the desire to have the right time.
I find that the D5000 drifts by less than a second a day - at least in my
use.

Cheers,
David