Help with Printer selection please

Old December 12th 04, 02:47 PM
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

Default Help with Printer selection please

I've read lots of post here regarding the E2200 and some Ci9900 but 0
posts the HP DJ9650/70/80.

I'm looking at all three of these printers and wanted to know if anyone
could point me to any reviews or comparisons. I typically buy HP so I'm
leaning in that direction but I'm leery because I don't see any post
regarding this printer.

A couple of things I need cleared up:

The Canon seems to tout their 8 ink system where the HP claims to use a 3
color and a 4 color and a black cartridge. The question is are both systems
similar and is Canon just using the 8 ink system as a marketing ploy or does
Canon actually use 8 different inks. Additionally, what system is really
better.

The Canon claims a dpi of 4800x2400 (except at the very end of the page
where it drops to 1200). Is there a noticeable difference from 4800x2400
and 4800x1200? (the HP only does 4800x1200)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--

Rob

Old December 12th 04, 03:40 PM
Bill Hilton

From: "Robert R Kircher, Jr."

I've read lots of post here regarding the E2200 and some Ci9900 but 0
posts the HP DJ9650/70/80.

I'm looking at all three of these printers and wanted to know if anyone
could point me to any reviews or comparisons.

http://www.inkjetart.com/news/archive/IJN_04-18-04.html for a good summary of
the 13" wide Epson and Canon models. Nothing on the HP though ... scroll down
to the "Q: What are my choices for 13" wide photo inkjet printers, and which is
best?" section.

The Canon seems to tout their 8 ink system where the HP claims to use a 3
color and a 4 color and a black cartridge. The question is are both systems
similar and is Canon just using the 8 ink system as a marketing ploy or does
Canon actually use 8 different inks. Additionally, what system is really
better.

Yes, they would actually use extra inks, and it makes a big difference for
photos. On my 2200 for example I have the basic four colors CMYK plus light
cyan and light magenta and light black for a total of 7. The "light" inks are
actually used faster than the basic ones (light magenta goes faster than any
other color) and you can see the differences in prints compared to earlier 4
ink models.

These days any four color ink printer is primarily meant for business
applications where color subtlety is not important, as in pie charts or graphs
for instance. The photo printers use 6, 7 or more inks. I think the HP
equivalent is the 7960 or similar. The models you mention might be business
printers, not photo printers.

Is there a noticeable difference from 4800x2400
and 4800x1200?

No ... you pretty much need a loupe to see the difference between 1400 and 2800
on the Epsons.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Look at the print life projections, the availability of a wide range of papers
with ICC support, paper costs and the cost of ink. Ideally you should have a
couple of test images printed on the various printers and compare these
side-by-side, always an eye-opener. Don't buy HP just because "I typically buy
HP" -- they are market leaders in business printers but there are good reasons
for why they are market also-rans in the desktop photo-realistic market.

Bill
Old December 12th 04, 03:40 PM
Bill Hilton

Old December 12th 04, 03:40 PM
Bill Hilton

Old December 12th 04, 05:43 PM
Robert

Try this out, the cost factor of the inks keeps me from HP but that might
change.

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/pri...450/page-1.htm

Old December 12th 04, 05:43 PM
Robert

Old December 12th 04, 05:51 PM
Robert

Forgot to say if you have the need for the best B&W prints the HP is the
only one that can do that. This is pulling me to the HPs but the cost is one
of the highest of them all, being able to print on CDs, Epson is pulling me
that way, Canon all I can see is their fast speed,and a little lower cost
per print. I know is hard to decide.

Old December 12th 04, 06:14 PM
Dennis D. Carter

Robert,
When I was shopping for a new printer, I compared the Epson 2200, HP 7960,
and Canon i9900. I ended up going with the Canon. It's fast, quiet, takes
individual cartridges, comes with some pretty good software, and the prints
look great. I should also mention that it appears to be more solidly built
that the HP.
Dennis D. Carter