Question about Nikon lenses

Old March 27th 11, 12:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Question about Nikon lenses

Afternoon folks.

I am a Canon user. Flame me if you must, praise if you feel the need.
I like it and I believe it's 90% the photographer and 10% everything
else.

My question for the group, and yes, I am looking for instant
gratification here in a vain effort to reduce my research time....

My long time friend has a Nikon n90s. Very nice little camera and does
very nice traditional film work!

However being what it is, for good or bsd, digital is here and the
wave of the present. She is wanting to move to a digital SLR and
wanted to know several things that, as a Canon user I could not
answer:

1. Can the lenses from her n90s be used on any of the Nikon digital
SLR bodies?

2. What kind of value does the n90s in pristine condition hold?
(OK, This one is really lazy of me and I WILL do the
obligatory google)

Thanks in advance to those that help and to those that want to
flame....

Old March 27th 11, 01:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-03-27 04:36:58 -0700, said:

Afternoon folks.

I am a Canon user. Flame me if you must, praise if you feel the need.
I like it and I believe it's 90% the photographer and 10% everything
else.

My question for the group, and yes, I am looking for instant
gratification here in a vain effort to reduce my research time....

My long time friend has a Nikon n90s. Very nice little camera and does
very nice traditional film work!

However being what it is, for good or bsd, digital is here and the
wave of the present. She is wanting to move to a digital SLR and
wanted to know several things that, as a Canon user I could not
answer:

1. Can the lenses from her n90s be used on any of the Nikon digital
SLR bodies?

Here is where you get the "yes & no" answer.
We will need to know two things; which Nikkor lenses does she have, and
which Nikon DSLR is she considering.

For most of the current consumer Nikon DSLR's such as the D5000, D3100,
etc. this is what you will have to know:

AF-NIKKOR for F3AF not supported
AF-S, AF-I: All functions supported
AI-P NIKKOR: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D Color
Matrix Metering II
IX Nikkor lenses cannot be used
Non-CPU: Can be used in mode M, but exposure meter does not function;
electronic range finder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or
faster
Other AF NIKKOR: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D color
matrix metering II
Type G or D AF NIKKOR not equipped with an autofocus motor: All
functions supported except autofocus
Type D PC NIKKOR: All functions supported except some shooting modes

For the Prosumer/Pro Nikons such as the D7000, D200, D300s, D700, D3(s/x):

AF NIKKOR other than type G or D*2: All functions supported except 3D
Color Matrix Metering II
AI-P NIKKOR: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D Color
Matrix Metering II
DX AF NIKKOR: All functions supported except FX-format (36x24)/5:4
(30x24) image size
Non-CPU AI NIKKOR: Can be used in exposure modes A and M; electronic
rangefinder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster; Color
Matrix Metering and aperture value display supported if user provides
lens data
Type G or D AF NIKKOR: All functions supported

2. What kind of value does the n90s in pristine condition hold?
(OK, This one is really lazy of me and I WILL do the
obligatory google)

N90 body only, depending on condition & edition (N90, N90s, etc), avg:
$20-45, gd: $55-85, like new(complete with packaging & manual) $95-155.

Old March 27th 11, 02:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dimitris M

D50 & D70 have internal AF motor and can use all AF Nikon lenses. No need to
be AF-S
--
Dimitris M

However, autofocus may or may not be available depending on the body
and the type of lens. Some of the older, cheaper DSLR bodies such as
the D40, D40X, D50, D60 and D70 will only offer AF if the lens is
"AF-S" with the Silent Wave motor as those bodies lack the in-body
focusing motor and "screwdriver" mechanical connection to lenses. Of
the current range, the D3100 and D5000 also suffer from this. Non-AF-S
lenses will need to be focused manually.

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5989 (20110327) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old March 27th 11, 03:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott Schuckert

By way of a bit of clarification - it really does depend on WHICH
current digital body one is contemplating. The largest consideration is
the focusing motor. Lower-priced bodies (e.g. D3000) assume the lens
has it's own focusing motor, while going a bit upscale the camera has
it's own motor (D90). I have a large collection of AF and AF-D lenses
left over from my late-eighties N8008s, and they work perfectly with my
D80.
Old March 27th 11, 05:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
me[_5_]

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 13:12:26 +0100, Bruce
wrote:

However, autofocus may or may not be available depending on the body
and the type of lens. Some of the older, cheaper DSLR bodies such as
the D40, D40X, D50, D60 and D70 will only offer AF if the lens is
"AF-S" with the Silent Wave motor as those bodies lack the in-body
focusing motor and "screwdriver" mechanical connection to lenses.

I guess I better stop using my Tokina non-AF-S AT-X124 pro DX 12-24mm
F4 with my old D70. Who knew it wasn't supposed to work.
Old March 27th 11, 05:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
me[_5_]

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 07:36:58 -0400, wrote:

1. Can the lenses from her n90s be used on any of the Nikon digital
SLR bodies?

Straight from the manufacturer:

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answ...VmtvZHotcGs%3D

Old March 27th 11, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

However, autofocus may or may not be available depending on the body
and the type of lens. Some of the older, cheaper DSLR bodies such as
the D40, D40X, D50, D60 and D70 will only offer AF if the lens is
"AF-S" with the Silent Wave motor as those bodies lack the in-body
focusing motor and "screwdriver" mechanical connection to lenses.

I guess I better stop using my Tokina non-AF-S AT-X124 pro DX 12-24mm
F4 with my old D70. Who knew it wasn't supposed to work.

Bruce got that one wrong.
The D70 (I still have mine along with my D300s) meets the same
requirements as the newer Prosumer/Pro Nikon DSLR's.

D70 lens compatibility is the same as a D3x:
AI-P NIKKOR All functions supported except 3D color matrix metering, i-
TTL Balanced Fill-Flash for Digital SLR, and autofocus
IX NIKKOR lenses can not be used
Micro NIKKOR 85 mm f/2.8D:All functions supported except autofocus and
some exposure modes
Non-CPU Can be used in mode M, but exposure meter does not function;
electronic range finder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or
faster
Other AF NIKKOR(Excluding lenses for F3AF) All functions supported
except 3D color matrix metering and i-TTL Balanced Fill-Flash for
Digital SLR

Old March 27th 11, 05:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-03-27 09:15:06 -0700, me said:

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 07:36:58 -0400, wrote:

1. Can the lenses from her n90s be used on any of the Nikon digital
SLR bodies?

Straight from the manufacturer:

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answ...VmtvZHotcGs%3D

There

it is, the same source I used.

Savageduck

Old March 27th 11, 06:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 13:12:26 +0100, Bruce wrote:
: One last comment. Some older Nikkors, both manual focus and AF,
: produced superlative results on film but their optics were not
: optimised for digital sensors and the results may be slightly
: disappointing. I speak from experience; some of my older Nikkors
: worked very well but others gave problems with image quality.

That's a bit vague. I assume you're saying that the lenses that gave problems
were commendably free of flare, distortion, vignetting, and aberration (or
they wouldn't have "produced superlative results on film") but weren't
particularly sharp overall (which could be somewhat harder to notice on film,
particularly the faster varieties). Does that about sum it up?

Bob
Old March 27th 11, 08:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
me[_5_]

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 20:22:20 +0100, Bruce
wrote:

There is no easy way for the average buyer to determine whether an
older design of lens will perform well on digital, or not. At this
time, there is no definitive listing of which lenses are better suited
to digital than others. So there is nothing to stop sellers of some
used lenses claiming that they produce excellent results on digital
sensors, when they don't. Buyers using eBay, beware!

How about http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html