Bloody magpies - Aussie for a collector of all things useless

Old August 20th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
D-Mac[_6_]

Default Bloody magpies - Aussie for a collector of all things useless

When Magpies build their nests it's not unusual to find it made from
human items they found laying around. Thus it is said by true blue
Aussies that a collector or horder of 'stuff' is a "Bloody Magpie"

Native Australian birds, Protected by law, they often develop a
relationship with humans who feed them and attack those who don't. A bit
like trolls, I imagine.

http://www.d-mac.info/POD/POD-Aug-2008.htm

--
Meet the trolls...
http://www.d-mac.info/trolls.htm
Old August 20th 08, 01:13 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
Atheist Chaplain[_3_]

"Rita Berkowitz" wrote in message
m...
D-Mac wrote:

When Magpies build their nests it's not unusual to find it made from
human items they found laying around. Thus it is said by true blue
Aussies that a collector or horder of 'stuff' is a "Bloody Magpie"

Native Australian birds, Protected by law, they often develop a
relationship with humans who feed them and attack those who don't. A
bit like trolls, I imagine.

http://www.d-mac.info/POD/POD-Aug-2008.htm

Nice shot. You ought to be posting full size 1024 x 768 images. These
little teasers just don't cut it.

Rita

sage advice Rita.............

Don Hirschberg

Old August 20th 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
Mark Thomas

D-Mac wrote:
When Magpies build their nests it's not unusual to find it made from
human items they found laying around. Thus it is said by true blue
Aussies that a collector or horder of 'stuff' is a "Bloody Magpie"

Native Australian birds, Protected by law, they often develop a
relationship with humans who feed them and attack those who don't. A bit
like trolls, I imagine.

http://www.d-mac.info/POD/POD-Aug-2008.htm

Perhaps it is just a temporary isp/name server issue but that link, and
indeed your entire site, isn't loading right now (10:45am local time)..
(overwhelmed by keen visitors perhaps, or did you forget to pay your
bills?)

Just out of interest I pinged it, (and then Google to be sure it wasn't
me..) and here's the result.

C:\ping http://www.d-mac.info/POD/POD-Aug-1808.htm
Ping request could not find host http://www.d-mac.info/POD/POD-Aug-1808.htm.
Please check the name and try again.

C:\ping www.d-mac.info
Ping request could not find host www.d-mac.info.
Please check the name and try again.

C:\ping google.com

Pinging google.com [72.14.207.99] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 72.14.207.99:
Old August 20th 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
Mark Thomas

Mark Thomas wrote:
Perhaps it is just a temporary isp/name server issue but that link, and
indeed your entire site, isn't loading right now (10:45am local time)..
(overwhelmed by keen visitors perhaps, or did you forget to pay your
bills?)

Thank heavens!!, whatever the problem was has now been resolved, so you
can ignore the above post.
Old August 20th 08, 01:59 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
Tony Cooper

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 10:48:52 +1000, Mark Thomas
wrote:

D-Mac wrote:
When Magpies build their nests it's not unusual to find it made from
human items they found laying around. Thus it is said by true blue
Aussies that a collector or horder of 'stuff' is a "Bloody Magpie"

Native Australian birds, Protected by law, they often develop a
relationship with humans who feed them and attack those who don't. A bit
like trolls, I imagine.

http://www.d-mac.info/POD/POD-Aug-2008.htm

Perhaps it is just a temporary isp/name server issue but that link, and
indeed your entire site, isn't loading right now (10:45am local time)..
(overwhelmed by keen visitors perhaps, or did you forget to pay your
bills?)

It loaded instantly for me a few minutes ago at about 8:45 PM
(Tuesday) local time.

Just now clicked it again and no problem.

Did you forget to pay your ISP?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old August 20th 08, 02:09 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
Mark Thomas

D-Mac wrote:
When Magpies build their nests it's not unusual to find it made from
human items they found laying around. Thus it is said by true blue
Aussies that a collector or horder of 'stuff' is a "Bloody Magpie"

Native Australian birds, Protected by law, they often develop a
relationship with humans who feed them and attack those who don't. A bit
like trolls, I imagine.

http://www.d-mac.info/POD/POD-Aug-2008.htm

Nice work. Pretty well sharpened for a change, good exposure,
background quite unobtrusive, composition good.

Just a touch more contrast and a more interesting subject/pose, and it
would be a winner.

But I've never seen a magpie attack anyone for not giving them food -
however, during nesting season you need a hardhat if you plan to enter
the exclusion zone around their nest.
Old August 20th 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
D-Mac[_6_]

wrote:

D-Mac wrote:
When Magpies build their nests it's not unusual to find it made from
human items they found laying around. Thus it is said by true blue
Aussies that a collector or horder of 'stuff' is a "Bloody Magpie"

Native Australian birds, Protected by law, they often develop a
relationship with humans who feed them and attack those who don't. A bit
like trolls, I imagine.

http://www.d-mac.info/POD/POD-Aug-2008.htm

Perhaps it is just a temporary isp/name server issue but that link, and
indeed your entire site, isn't loading right now (10:45am local time)..
(overwhelmed by keen visitors perhaps, or did you forget to pay your
bills?)

It loaded instantly for me a few minutes ago at about 8:45 PM
(Tuesday) local time.

Just now clicked it again and no problem.

Did you forget to pay your ISP?

Actually Tony It's a server farm where all 128 of the sites I manage are
hosted. Every so often switching for load sharing happens and for the
blink of an eye, the sites are error 404. I don't think that happened
today, I've been uploading data to them for a few hours.

I am more likely to blame your ISP for not polling their DNS more
frequently. The IP address of my site changed earlier today 4:00AM GMT +
10 hours. DNS updates should be no worse than 15 minutes apart but many
ISPs try and be smart and do it nightly or worse, weekly.

The account is direct debited to my bank account and paid yearly. Troll
being what they are think they'll start a fight by suggesting I'm like
them - living from day to day on hand outs from the Government. In Aus
it's called Dole bludging.

Old August 20th 08, 02:16 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
Mark Thomas

wrote:

D-Mac wrote:
When Magpies build their nests it's not unusual to find it made from
human items they found laying around. Thus it is said by true blue
Aussies that a collector or horder of 'stuff' is a "Bloody Magpie"

Native Australian birds, Protected by law, they often develop a
relationship with humans who feed them and attack those who don't. A bit
like trolls, I imagine.

http://www.d-mac.info/POD/POD-Aug-2008.htm

Perhaps it is just a temporary isp/name server issue but that link, and
indeed your entire site, isn't loading right now (10:45am local time)..
(overwhelmed by keen visitors perhaps, or did you forget to pay your
bills?)

It loaded instantly for me a few minutes ago at about 8:45 PM
(Tuesday) local time.

Just now clicked it again and no problem.

Did you forget to pay your ISP?

Why'dya cut out the ping result from Google? Umm, I think if I hadn't
paid my bills, that would have stopped me getting a ping from other
sites too..!

As I said above, it has come back online now so it was obviously
something temporary. Phew!!
Old August 20th 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
D-Mac[_6_]

Rita Berkowitz wrote:
D-Mac wrote:

When Magpies build their nests it's not unusual to find it made from
human items they found laying around. Thus it is said by true blue
Aussies that a collector or horder of 'stuff' is a "Bloody Magpie"

Native Australian birds, Protected by law, they often develop a
relationship with humans who feed them and attack those who don't. A
bit like trolls, I imagine.

http://www.d-mac.info/POD/POD-Aug-2008.htm

Nice shot. You ought to be posting full size 1024 x 768 images. These
little teasers just don't cut it.

Rita

I'm not sure what you mean by "Should" but I'll do that just for you
sweety! Try the link again now.

Er... 1024 pixels wide only comes out to 683 high of an uncropped image.
You do realise almost never crop my pictures, don't you?

Old habits die hard. I prefer composing the shot in the viewfinder. I
use Photoshop to "save for web" but I might start using a different
program for it soon. Sammy wants the laptop (with Photoshop on it) back.

I didn't realise how much stuff I have on board that belongs to her now!

Old August 20th 08, 03:04 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
^Tems^[_2_]

wrote:

D-Mac wrote:
[...]

And not being registered for GST is called a "A Mediocre Performer"

SHIFT-6TEMSSHIFT-6