Giclee vs Chromira

Old October 31st 09, 04:56 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

Default Giclee vs Chromira

pbromaghin wrote:
On Oct 29, 7:21 pm, Annika1980 wrote:
I think if you clean up the color casts you'll have a photo worthy of
the mantle.

Thak you for the kind comment, but could you explain that a bit
further? So far in photography, I have concentrated on composition
and capture. I don't really speak the language of post-processing
yet.

Do you mean the pinkish color, most notable in the beach and the scree
across the lake, even in the lake itself? The whole Maroon Bells
region is made of Colorado red sandstone, which has a lot of iron
oxide and pink feldspar. What you are seeing is what it looked like
in those lighting conditions. In reality, the water is a dark red,
the 2 peaks often glow a bright pink in sunrise photos but only show
only a very little here due to the overcast. I suspect a lot of color
reflects back off the clouds, too.

While difficult to make great judgements on color in a small rendition
of a landscape, I am thinking you might want to bump up the saturation
of blues and decrease exposure of the sky. Whether there's too much red
overall, maybe.
Very nice composition, and it should look fine printed as is.

--
john mcwilliams
Old November 3rd 09, 07:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

pbromaghin wrote:
John McWilliams wrote:
I am thinking you might want to bump up the saturation
of blues and decrease exposure of the sky. Whether there's too much red
overall, maybe.
Very nice composition, and it should look fine printed as is.

Here is the latest test version with your suggestions included.
Increased green and blue, saturation, brightness, and darkened her
hoody.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4347839...93622/sizes/o/

Much improved. Thank you!

Indeed it is! You still have detail and color in the sky that doesnt'
show well, at least on my screen. You could try some duplicate layers,
with a masking in of the sky (ie, masking out the forground), and then
lowering exposure, or try different blending modes.

--
John McWilliams