Newbie question re. old lenses on a modern DSLR

Old November 4th 09, 09:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mike Headon

Default Newbie question re. old lenses on a modern DSLR

Hello folks...
If I get an adapter to allow me to use my old Nikon F-mount tele lenses
on my Canon EOS 450D, will I be able to use the camera to get an
exposure reading? (Without putting the Canon lens back, I mean). I
appreciate that I will have to set everything manually.
Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!
Mike
--
Mike Headon

e-mail: mike dot headon at enn tee ell world dot com
Old November 4th 09, 09:41 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
nospam

In article , Mike Headon
wrote:

Hello folks...
If I get an adapter to allow me to use my old Nikon F-mount tele lenses
on my Canon EOS 450D, will I be able to use the camera to get an
exposure reading?

you'll have manual stop-down metering.
Old November 5th 09, 08:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mike Headon

nospam wrote:
In article , Mike Headon
wrote:

Hello folks...
If I get an adapter to allow me to use my old Nikon F-mount tele lenses
on my Canon EOS 450D, will I be able to use the camera to get an
exposure reading?

you'll have manual stop-down metering.

Thanks, it's great to know that it is possible!

However:
1) I am "very old and stupid"(tm).
2) The instruction book does not give any clue as to how to do it.

So, I would be very grateful if somebody could post a link to an
"idiot's guide" source of info which could help me.

thanks - Mike

Old November 5th 09, 09:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
nospam

In article , Mike Headon
wrote:

If I get an adapter to allow me to use my old Nikon F-mount tele lenses
on my Canon EOS 450D, will I be able to use the camera to get an
exposure reading?

you'll have manual stop-down metering.

Thanks, it's great to know that it is possible!

However:
1) I am "very old and stupid"(tm).
2) The instruction book does not give any clue as to how to do it.

So, I would be very grateful if somebody could post a link to an
"idiot's guide" source of info which could help me.

you need the appropriate adapter for whatever lens you want to use.
attach the lens and set the camera to manual metering mode (consult the
canon manual for how to do that). since the lens is completely manual,
you will have to set the camera to some default aperture setting, maybe
f/1 or whatever f/stop the lens happens to be. try both and see what
works best if the manual doesn't say which one to use.

next, adjust the aperture on the lens and the shutter speed on the
camera to center whatever indicator there is for exposure. since the
aperture is controlled manually, the viewfinder will get dark when you
stop down.

regardless of what the meter says, you will more than likely want to
shoot a photo and see how it looks and adjust accordingly because
stop-down metering is not 100% accurate on canon.

it's digital. experiment! it costs nothing.
Old November 5th 09, 11:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mike Headon

nospam wrote:
In article , Mike Headon
wrote:

[...]

That's fantastic, thanks! I will get the adapter and try it.
regards - Mike

Old November 6th 09, 04:15 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

nospam wrote:
In article , Mike Headon
wrote:

[...]

If there is a meter reading, I'd guess you could shoot in aperture
priority or does the camera refuse without an electronic signal? Entry
level Nikon bodies will refuse to meter in this case.

If so, the only reason to go manual is if you are stopped down too far
and can't see to focus because it's too dark and you are working on a
tripod. In that case, use manual as described above to set your
exposure, then turn the aperture ring wide open and focus, then turn the
ring back to where you had it to take the pic.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old November 6th 09, 11:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mike Headon

Paul Furman wrote:
nospam wrote:
In article , Mike Headon
wrote:

[...]

I guess I won't know for sure until I get the adapter and try it.
And yes, I am old enough to remember SLRs which required a manual preset
ring on the lens aperture. e.g. the Wrayflex, which had a mirror
viewfinder so that your view was reversed left-to-right (and upside down
if you turned it on its side for a portrait view!).

Thanks again for all the tips.