Suitable camera device.

Old September 30th 04, 09:56 AM
Lila Duncan

Default Suitable camera device.

My daughter's doing a graphic design course and I want to buy her a
digital camera as part of her required equipment. She got a hand out
from college that gave a list of suggested cameras covering the whole
price spectrum. I've spent some time researching a selection of them
and have ended up further away from a decision than I was in the first
place. :-\

I started with the low price group which included the Fuji Finepix
A340. What put me off this one was poor flash and no manual settings.
I then went to the next higher price group which included the Kodak
Easyshare DX7630 and the HP Photosmart 945. What put me of the Kodak
was the more expensive proprietary batteries. What put me off the HP
was the way the reviews rated it as being of significantly lower spec
than the Kodak. What put me off both was the lack of RAW or TIFF
output, which I'd hoped would be available at this price level.

So, I read some more and I learnt that it was the Canon and Nikon
cameras that were most likely to have the multiple filetype options.
Well, I looked at several Canon models up to a significantly higher
price than the Kodak or HP I'd seen but these Canons only had JPEG
output.

Can anyone please suggest a middle range camera that's 4MP or more,
has manual control and the facility to add lenses and filters and also
has RAW or similar output option?
TIA
--
Lila Duncan
Old September 30th 04, 06:05 PM
Phil Stripling

Lila Duncan writes:

My daughter's doing a graphic design course and I want to buy her a
digital camera as part of her required equipment. She got a hand out
from college that gave a list of suggested cameras covering the whole
price spectrum. I've spent some time researching a selection of them
and have ended up further away from a decision than I was in the first
place. :-\

Is part of the coursework expected by the professor that the _students_
would do the research and actually make their own decision based on what
they determine to be their needs? Then the students would have the parents
cough up the dough, of course, but the students would then profit by seeing
how their selection actually fit their criteria and whether their process
of analysis actually worked? And could be improved the next iteration?

Old September 30th 04, 07:53 PM
Lila Duncan

On 30 Sep 2004 10:05:47 -0700, Phil Stripling
wrote:

Lila Duncan writes:

My daughter's doing a graphic design course and I want to buy her a
digital camera as part of her required equipment. She got a hand out
from college that gave a list of suggested cameras covering the whole
price spectrum. I've spent some time researching a selection of them
and have ended up further away from a decision than I was in the first
place. :-\

Is part of the coursework expected by the professor that the _students_
would do the research and actually make their own decision based on what
they determine to be their needs? Then the students would have the parents
cough up the dough, of course, but the students would then profit by seeing
how their selection actually fit their criteria and whether their process
of analysis actually worked? And could be improved the next iteration?

Yes I expect there might be an element of those things, except for the
part about the parents coughing up, which is much more of a total
certainty. You should understand that even at the student level, there
is a lot to be said for the skills associated with the delegation of
responsibility. My daughter has to leave college at 1:30 pm today and
eat her lunch on the move while she travels to work where she will be
until 8:30pm. For her this is a typical day during at least 6 days a
week. Having such a timetable would certainly encourage me to take
what help I could get, were I in that position.

Judging by the vast range of possible cameras suggested by the college
for use within this course, it's quite clear that the main criterion
is affordability for all, rather than suitability for the work
involved. This being the case, my daughters camera will be selected
with much more consideration for it's purpose than might have been
possible if the affordability issue was more acute.

Congratulations Mr Stripling on showing how smart you are without
giving any useful information.
I've done some more research this evening and have been considering
the Canon Powershot S45, partly because it's the first camera I've
encountered, moving up the price range, that has a RAW file output
option. I've read several learned discussions about the relative
merits of JPEG, RAW and TIFF without fully understanding them but I do
feel that there's some advantage in having the uncompressed file
option.
--
Lila Duncan

Old September 30th 04, 09:14 PM
Lila Duncan

wrote:

Lila Duncan writes:

[...]

Your self expression is really coming on.

--
Lila Duncan
Old September 30th 04, 09:48 PM
Frank ess

wrote:

Lila Duncan writes:

[...]

It's for your own good.

--
Frank ess

Old September 30th 04, 09:53 PM
Lila Duncan

wrote:

Lila Duncan writes:

[...]

Well *you* will be the judge of that, won't you?
Or perhaps you're just a pompous prat.
--
Lila Duncan