Make 12x18" signs at home on 8.5x11" B&W laser printer

Old January 14th 18, 02:46 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
nospam

Default Make 12x18" signs at home on 8.5x11" B&W laser printer

In article , nospam
wrote:

Don't use PSP for the printing. It's limited in that respect.
Use IV. But I think it would be better if you can cut up
the quadrants. With the original open in PSP, measure
out 4 equal quadrants, copy those, then Edit - Paste
as new image. You should end up with 4 images about
600x900 each. Save each one separately:

TL.bmp TR.bmp BL.bmp BR.bmp

Then open each in IV and print it, selecting a
size of 6"x9". The result will be 4 pieces that
can be taped together. no overlap.

so much effort for such a simple task.

https://i.stack.imgur.com/D5WXm.png
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRINT/E1280/706PMU5.GIF
Old January 14th 18, 02:59 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10, rec.photo.digital, alt.comp.freeware
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 13, 2018, Mayayana wrote
(in article ):

wrote

TL.bmp TR.bmp BL.bmp BR.bmp

Are you trying to invoke TRUMP?

You have a dirty mind.

Hey! You were the one with the T R x M P letter combos.

Savageduck

Old January 14th 18, 03:04 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Eco Clean

- Paul wrote:

1) Open LibreOffice Calc.
2) Drop JPG onto spreadsheet.
3) Print

It takes as many pages to print, as the JPG covers up.

I first tried to open the PowerPointe in Libre Office but that was a
complete disaster, apparently because Libre Office doesn't respect
PowerPointe formatting.
[http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id...308fa9c 6530]

So then I did what you said.
1) I opened LibreOffice 5.3.4.2 (x64) on Windows
2) I clicked on the green "Calc Spreadsheet" on the left pane.
3) That brought up a blank spreadsheet
4) I dragged and dropped newt.bmp onto the spreadsheet
5) I moved the result to the top left corner.
[http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id...a8bcda9 7dcf]
6) FilePrintPreview, but the margins are horrifically huge
[http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id...67f1143 3148]
7) There are actually 9 pages to this but there really should only be 4
[http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id...4428ce2 5998]

How did you the sample document from 9 pages down to only 4 pages?

Is the trick to get 4 pages to reduce the margins manually?
Or to reduce the image size?
Old January 14th 18, 03:19 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Susan Bugher

On 1/12/2018 10:35 PM, Eco Clean wrote:
Windows sign printing freeware?
Does it exist?

Exact example here uploads.im/YpuVv.jpg
To spray paint plastic sign that are on 12 inches x 18 inches white stock.

Goal is to create a life-sized cutout template on normal 8.5x11" paper.
Then tape template on 12"x18" white plastic stock.
Then spray paint letters of right size with red paint.

If not special sign printing free software is there a trick to print a
real size cutout template with a normal Windows 10 printer of multiple
pages of 8.5x11 inch paper taped together by using a trick of some kind?

Plan is to spray paint once I tape the life-sized paper templates over
12x18" plastic stock white boards.

Dunno if this ancient program will work in Win10 (web page says it does
work in Win7):

Program: Printmaster Express
Company: Broderbund
Wa (Freeware) LFW (v 2.1)
http://www.topfreeware.net/favprogra....htm#pmexpress

You can create banners with the app and it sounds like that's what you
want to do If memory serves me correctly it's pretty easy to use. .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware (using WinXP-SP2, Win7professional-32 bit)
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.pricelesswarehome.org

Old January 14th 18, 03:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
joe

On 01/13/2018 08:04 PM, Eco Clean wrote:
- Paul wrote:

[...]

Why didn't you use 'Draw" rather than "Calc"? One is a spreadsheet, the
other more for images. The print dialog for draw has the tiling options.
Old January 14th 18, 03:47 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Paul[_10_]

Eco Clean wrote:
- Paul wrote:

[...]

Using the usual scroll wheel and control key trick, zoom
out the Calc spreadsheet window, until you can see the 8.5x11
page delimiter lines.

Go to the lower right corner of the image. Click the image to
select it. Press the control key (to cause X:Y to be locked
together for proportional scaling). Now, move that corner up
and to the left to resize the image as it lays on the
spreadsheet. You might be able to make out, that now my image
is laid within the bounds of four typewriter pages.

https://s13.postimg.org/62kr8y83r/gr...oportional.gif

A side effect is, Export To PDF still stupidly printed
9 pages, even though 4 pages of content are there. I suspect
the original image is (conceptually) still hiding in the
environment somewhere. You may be able to use another
PDF tool to eliminate the extra pages. As long as the
pages are sequential (no gaps), simply printing page
range 1-4 might be sufficient to avoid wasting paper.

Anyway, that's a breadcrumb to doing this easily. I can't vouch
for how useful the output doc will be :-(

https://s13.postimg.org/ys7n5q9kn/my_export_pdf.gif

Paul
Old January 14th 18, 04:05 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 13:38:23 -0500, "Mayayana"
wrote:

"Eco Clean" wrote

| Anyways, I don't have Paint Shop Pro, but I have Irfanview.

You should be able to get PSP5 he

http://www.oldversion.com/windows/do...-shop-pro-5-01

I just downloaded and tried starting the installer.
It worked fine. I bought PSP5 for $100 many years
ago. Since then I've bought PSP16. Unfortunately,
the latter is bloated and clunky. Overproduced.
I still use 5 for basic things. The versions online
seem to be perfectly legal. In fact, at one point
Jasc was giving older versions away with things
like routers, before Corel bought them out.

IrfanView is very good and solid but it lacks
one critical thing: A work window where you can
wortk on multiple images , paste layers, have
multiple undo, etc. IV might be able to cut up
the image, but it's worth having PSP or a similar
editor.

BMP is best. JPG loses data. GIF is 256 colors,
so it might dither.

| Maybe 100 ppi? Using that as an example, you
| would then resize to 1200 x 1800 pixels.
|
| That's the kind of math I was seaking!

You just have to match it up to the printer. For
instance, a typical photo should be printed at
least 300 dpi.

Not on the 'photo' Epsons. They use 360 dpi. It pays to check the dpi
of the printer you plan to use.

That means to get a 5x7 print you
need 1500x2100 pixels. It doesn't matter what size
the image is and what dpi the printer is set for.
You just need to coordinate the two so that it
will print the size you intend. 300 dpi will give you
nicer edges on letters, but I guess that probably
doesn't matter much.

| The plan is to print to 8.5x11 paper and thentape it all together, and
then
| put thin sheets of clear 8.5x11 plastic sheets taped together underneath,
| and then cut out the "stencil" with an Exacto knife and then spray the
| signs.

Makes sense.

| Yes. A few dozen. It's really a joke for an eccentric neighbor's 80th
| birthday, where we plan on having someone take her to see a movie while we
| erect signs all over her yard based on her oddities.

You're very generous with your time. How do
you feel about yard work?

Eric Stevens
Old January 14th 18, 04:19 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

You just have to match it up to the printer. For
instance, a typical photo should be printed at
least 300 dpi.

Not on the 'photo' Epsons. They use 360 dpi. It pays to check the dpi
of the printer you plan to use.

it's also vital not to confuse ppi with dpi.
Old January 14th 18, 04:30 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Mayayana

"Eric Stevens" wrote

| You just have to match it up to the printer. For
| instance, a typical photo should be printed at
| least 300 dpi.
|
| Not on the 'photo' Epsons. They use 360 dpi. It pays to check the dpi
| of the printer you plan to use.

It's just an example. The R2880 here defaults to
1440, but it doesn't have to be used that way.
You should have read the rest of what I wrote....

Old January 14th 18, 04:37 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| You just have to match it up to the printer. For
| instance, a typical photo should be printed at
| least 300 dpi.
|
| Not on the 'photo' Epsons. They use 360 dpi. It pays to check the dpi
| of the printer you plan to use.

It's just an example. The R2880 here defaults to
1440, but it doesn't have to be used that way.

it's actually 5760x1440 dpi.

You should have read the rest of what I wrote....

| That means to get a 5x7 print you
| need 1500x2100 pixels. It doesn't matter what size
| the image is and what dpi the printer is set for.
| You just need to coordinate the two so that it
| will print the size you intend. 300 dpi will give you
| nicer edges on letters, but I guess that probably
| doesn't matter much.

you should read about printing, in particular, the difference between
dpi and ppi.