Affinity Photo Windows Beta Available

Old November 12th 16, 06:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Affinity Photo Windows Beta Available

I see that Serif has released the Affinity Photo for Windows Beta. So
now Windows users will have, at $50 another affordable and powerful
Adobe alternative. (the Beta is free)

I bought the Mac edition a while back in my exploration for affordable
photo editing software, and I highly recommend it. My disclaimer is,
for now remain with my Lightroom/Photoshop workflow and dabble and
noodle about with alternative software such as Affinity Photo and
Pixelmator.

It is worth taking a look at the video at the bottom of the petapixel
page to get an idea of the Affinity Photo concepts.
http://petapixel.com/2016/11/10/affinity-photo-now-windows-get-free-beta/
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/windows/

....and for the Mac users.
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/

Savageduck

Old November 12th 16, 07:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Savageduck" wrote

|I see that Serif has released the Affinity Photo for Windows Beta. So
| now Windows users will have, at $50 another affordable and powerful
| Adobe alternative. (the Beta is free)

Looks interesting. I've never heard of it.
Does the full version sell as a retail CD or only
as a download?

Old November 12th 16, 07:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

|I see that Serif has released the Affinity Photo for Windows Beta. So
| now Windows users will have, at $50 another affordable and powerful
| Adobe alternative. (the Beta is free)

Looks interesting. I've never heard of it.
Does the full version sell as a retail CD or only
as a download?

cds? seriously?

downloading is faster, cheaper and far more convenient.
Old November 12th 16, 07:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Savageduck" wrote
|I see that Serif has released the Affinity Photo for Windows Beta. So
| now Windows users will have, at $50 another affordable and powerful
| Adobe alternative. (the Beta is free)

Specs he
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/pho...m-requirements

Requires Win7 but also, only 64-bit and only
with Aero enabled. It doesn't say why. I've never
heard of software that requires Aero, which many
people disable.

Also, while it's a one-time sale, they're rather
intrusive. First they require an email address to
get the beta. Then they explain in their privacy
policy that they intend to spam that address and
attempt to use web bugs to see whether people
read their spam. (Someone should explain to them
that web bugs are useless with any decent email
reader.) There's also some clubby drivel about their
online-social-sharing-something-or-other.

I guess that if it's *really* good it might be worth
putting up with the sleaze, but software with TOS
and a privacy policy, along with promises of spamming
and no 32-bit support is not a good sign.

In any case, thanks SD for posting this. I was
entirely unaware and have only vaguely heard
of Serif.

Old November 12th 16, 07:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-11-12 18:12:50 +0000, "Mayayana" said:

"Savageduck" wrote

|I see that Serif has released the Affinity Photo for Windows Beta. So
| now Windows users will have, at $50 another affordable and powerful
| Adobe alternative. (the Beta is free)

Looks interesting. I've never heard of it.
Does the full version sell as a retail CD or only
as a download?

Up until now it has been a Mac only offering. It is download only.

Savageduck

Old November 12th 16, 08:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

Specs he

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/pho...m-requirements

Requires Win7 but also, only 64-bit and only
with Aero enabled. It doesn't say why. I've never
heard of software that requires Aero, which many
people disable.

very few disable it. there's no reason to do so.

Also, while it's a one-time sale, they're rather
intrusive. First they require an email address to
get the beta. Then they explain in their privacy
policy that they intend to spam that address and
attempt to use web bugs to see whether people
read their spam. (Someone should explain to them
that web bugs are useless with any decent email
reader.) There's also some clubby drivel about their
online-social-sharing-something-or-other.

paranoid people can use a disposable email address.

you do realize that to purchase it, they're going to get not just your
email, but your name, address and cc#, right?

I guess that if it's *really* good it might be worth
putting up with the sleaze, but software with TOS
and a privacy policy, along with promises of spamming
and no 32-bit support is not a good sign.

32 bit is old school. they can't do what they're doing with 32 bit and
since every computer sold in the past decade or so is 64 bit capable,
it's a non-issue.

In any case, thanks SD for posting this. I was
entirely unaware and have only vaguely heard
of Serif.

there's a lot you haven't heard of.
Old November 12th 16, 08:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-11-12 18:28:03 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 09:32:09 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

I see that Serif has released the Affinity Photo for Windows Beta. So
now Windows users will have, at $50 another affordable and powerful
Adobe alternative. (the Beta is free)

I bought the Mac edition a while back in my exploration for affordable
photo editing software, and I highly recommend it. My disclaimer is,
for now remain with my Lightroom/Photoshop workflow and dabble and
noodle about with alternative software such as Affinity Photo and
Pixelmator.

It is worth taking a look at the video at the bottom of the petapixel
page to get an idea of the Affinity Photo concepts.
http://petapixel.com/2016/11/10/affinity-photo-now-windows-get-free-beta/
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/windows/

...and for the Mac users.
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/

I downloaded the Windows Beta version and have been playing around
with it. It's better than Gimp but offers no real advantages over
Elements for most amateurs who want a $50 program without recurring
costs. The pros, and the very serious amateurs, are going to stick
with LR and PS.

Affinity Photo is a better value at $50 than PSE when looking at
current MSRP for PSE15 @ $99.
I know that there are always the bundled versions of PSE which can be
had free with purchases of other hardware, or various promotional
discounts which can bring the price down to around $75.
....and when it comes to comparing either with GIMP, there is no
contest, GIMP is left in the dust.

The primary disadvantage that I see is the lack of tutorials. You
don't need a lot of tutorials for the basic processing steps, but
Affinity is offering a lot of advanced processing techniques and tools
without sufficient training support. Elements does have that
framework of extant tutorials out there.

Actually there are plenty of tutorials and videos available.
They can be found he
https://vimeo.com/macaffinity/channels
....and via the "help" menu:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_304.jpg

My interest was in finding a better way to do extractions. I'm
reasonably proficient using selections and refine edges or a layer
mask, but it can be quite a challenge when the part of the image to be
extracted is not sufficiently different from the background around
that part. There are various ways in PS to enhance the difference,
but no magic bullet.

Yup! There is no magic bullet. There are extraction tools in various
software packages, but there are many variables when it comes to
subjects in individual photos, and the developed skills of the
individual doing the editing.

Affinity has a tutorial in extracting a woman with flowing hair, and
the Affinity system works quite well for that using their image. But
- and this is a huge "but" - the tutorial uses an image with a solid
color background that makes extraction easy. That is not the
situation that I deal with when I want to do this.

On1 also claimed a better system for this, but it was not at all as
good as promised in my estimation.

The new ON1 Photo RAW is due to be released Nov 23, and that should
prove to be another interesting alternative.
https://www.on1.com

The biggest plus that I see with Affinity's entrance for Windows is
that it serves notice to Adobe that other firms will be nipping at
their heels to get a piece of the market. That will spur Adobe to
keep giving us reasons to stay with Photoshop and to continue to add
to Elements.

Competition is always a good thing.

If asked, I would continue to recommend Elements to the person who
wants a basic-to-medium-capability program at a moderate one-time
cost.

Right now I believe that Affinity Photo is one of the best options for
a photo enthusiast wanting to avoid Adobe CC. For the Windows shooter
wanting a more basic package then look to Elements. For the Mac shooter
looking for something more basic there is also Pixelmator and Acorn.
Personally, I have an earlier PSE edition, I can't say that I find it
appealing, even though it will do the job and PSE15 looks to have
gained quite a leap over its earlier brethren.
For now I will stick to Lightroom CC/Photoshop CC.

Savageduck

Old November 12th 16, 08:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-11-12 18:29:47 +0000, "Mayayana" said:

"Savageduck" wrote
|I see that Serif has released the Affinity Photo for Windows Beta. So
| now Windows users will have, at $50 another affordable and powerful
| Adobe alternative. (the Beta is free)

Specs he
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/pho...m-requirements

Requires Win7 but also, only 64-bit and only
with Aero enabled. It doesn't say why. I've never
heard of software that requires Aero, which many
people disable.

I guess, as with Mac, they built for the latest operating systems.
Since I am not a Windows user I have no idea what "Aero" is other than
a UK chocolate bar.

Also, while it's a one-time sale, they're rather
intrusive. First they require an email address to
get the beta. Then they explain in their privacy
policy that they intend to spam that address and
attempt to use web bugs to see whether people
read their spam. (Someone should explain to them
that web bugs are useless with any decent email
reader.) There's also some clubby drivel about their
online-social-sharing-something-or-other.

All of that is easily fixable.

I guess that if it's *really* good it might be worth
putting up with the sleaze, but software with TOS
and a privacy policy, along with promises of spamming
and no 32-bit support is not a good sign.

32-bit, like aged operating systems is a thing of the past, and
developers of new software, such as Serif, have nothing to gain by even
considering 32-bit support.

In any case, thanks SD for posting this. I was
entirely unaware and have only vaguely heard
of Serif.

Now you have.

Savageduck

Old November 12th 16, 08:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

Requires Win7 but also, only 64-bit and only
with Aero enabled. It doesn't say why. I've never
heard of software that requires Aero, which many
people disable.

I guess, as with Mac, they built for the latest operating systems.
Since I am not a Windows user I have no idea what "Aero" is other than
a UK chocolate bar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Aero

the simplified version is that windows is catching up to where os x was
10 years earlier.
Old November 12th 16, 08:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-11-12 17:32:09 +0000, Savageduck said:

I see that Serif has released the Affinity Photo for Windows Beta. So
now Windows users will have, at $50 another affordable and powerful
Adobe alternative. (the Beta is free)

I bought the Mac edition a while back in my exploration for affordable
photo editing software, and I highly recommend it. My disclaimer is,
for now remain with my Lightroom/Photoshop workflow and dabble and
noodle about with alternative software such as Affinity Photo and
Pixelmator.

It is worth taking a look at the video at the bottom of the petapixel
page to get an idea of the Affinity Photo concepts.
http://petapixel.com/2016/11/10/affinity-photo-now-windows-get-free-beta/
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/windows/

...and for the Mac users.
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/

....and while I am going on about Adobe and other photo editing
alternatives for Windows, Mac users are about to have new editor from
Macphun, "Luminar" due to be released next week.
https://macphun.com/luminar

Savageduck