Contax legacy

Old January 17th 06, 10:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Contax legacy

I have been lurking this newsgroup for a while, getting a lot of useful
information. I now have a question.
I am one of the (many?) owners of contax/yahica systems who have been
left without a smooth path to digital photography.
I am just an hobbyst, and I don't have any of the more expensive Zeiss
lenses, but still I have a good range of stuff and I guess that some
could be occasionally useful even after getting a digital body (for
one, the normal 50/1,4 planar could turn out a nice portrait lens, or
my macro set could still be used).
So, thinking of getting a digital camera I thought that it could be
wise to look among those that could use my old lenses.

Searching around, it seems that adapters exist for using manual C/Y
lenses on Olympus and Canon.
If I understand correctly, to use them on any of those cameras, after
buying and mounting the adapter, one should first frame and focus
manually with the lens wide open, then meter manually closing the
diafragm at the desired F stop (without it being shown on the
viewfinder). Somethig to which one could be get accustomed, but clearly
limits the situations in which it can be done probably to still photos
of when using a wide angle lens with broad DOF.
What may change between different models is the usability of the
fiewfinderfor for manual focusing, since all of them are designed
primarily for autofocus.
So my questions a
All other considerations apart (sensor, noise, lenses, commercial
perspectives etc) which is the camera more easy to use in manual focus,
among Olympus E300 and E500 and Canon 350D?

Are there other issues about using C/Y on those cameras?

And should I bother at all?

thanks
Piersante

Old January 17th 06, 11:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Piesse" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have been lurking this newsgroup for a while, getting a lot of useful
information. I now have a question.
I am one of the (many?) owners of contax/yahica systems who have been
left without a smooth path to digital photography.

Huh? You've got the smoothest path around. Get a Contax to EOS adapters for
your lenses and a Canon 5D.

I am just an hobbyst, and I don't have any of the more expensive Zeiss
lenses, but still I have a good range of stuff and I guess that some
could be occasionally useful even after getting a digital body (for
one, the normal 50/1,4 planar could turn out a nice portrait lens, or
my macro set could still be used).

Exactly! (Although that's on the APS Canons, not the 5D.)

Searching around, it seems that adapters exist for using manual C/Y
lenses on Olympus and Canon.
If I understand correctly, to use them on any of those cameras, after
buying and mounting the adapter, one should first frame and focus
manually with the lens wide open, then meter manually closing the
diafragm at the desired F stop (without it being shown on the
viewfinder). Somethig to which one could be get accustomed, but clearly
limits the situations in which it can be done probably to still photos
of when using a wide angle lens with broad DOF.
What may change between different models is the usability of the
fiewfinderfor for manual focusing, since all of them are designed
primarily for autofocus.

One way to try would be to buy a Contax to EOS adpater and a used cheap
Rebel _film_ camera (from KEH). These are older models, the screen is
different, and they're not cropped, but you could determine if they actually
work for not all that much money.

And should I bother at all?

Yes. Your old Contax/Yashica lenses are not junk, and it would be a shame to
waste them.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old January 17th 06, 09:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Hello,

I would like to point to these links that I have found with Google:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...id=00EoKc&tag=
http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/best19_21.html
http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/index.html -- read everything under it
carefully!

Notice that the Olympus 4/3 models have essentially a 2x focal length
multiplier, so your 28mm Zeiss would become a 56mm lens (not too exciting,
I guess), while on cameras like the EOS 350D (with a 1.6 focal length
multiplier) this lens would become a 45mm lens or so.

If you want to re-use your Contax lenses in landscape shots, I feel that the
full 35mm frame Canon EOS 5D is your best choice at the moment, since you
keep the focal length, and this camera has a big and bright viewfinder,
which should help with focusing.

Surely missing autofocus and having to use stop-down metering is a bit of a
slow down, but if you don't shoot fast action shots you won't have any
serious problem (I *think*).
And you can always use pre-focus in action shots anyway (sometimes the
autofocus isn't suitable).

Best of luck, many of us would *love* to see Zeiss wideangle lenses in EF
format,
N.Fotis
Old January 18th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Piesse wrote:

Thanks. Very interesting links!
I agree that small-format digital cameras have problems with wide
angle.
Unfortunately, the D5 still costs more than three times more than than
the other options :-(

Well, before the Canon EOS 5D, the only full-frame 35mm digital SLRs were
the 1Ds and 1Ds MkII, at 8000 USD (body only), so the 5D is a step into the
right direction.
I wouldn't be very surprised to see the 5D or its follow-up model at less
than 2000 USD in 2007. It just takes some patience.

Also, there are split-screen mirrors for the bigger Canons (1Ds) for easier
using of manual focus lenses, probably we'll see similar items for the 5D
(which *can* change focusing screens).

You may have heard that Zeiss has announced some of their lenses in Nikon
F-mount and M42 screw mount (which has, in turn, adaptors for nearly every
other SLR mount).

Hope this makes you feel better - good glass is never lost ;-)
N.F.
Old January 18th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Forgot to add this link:

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-manual-lenses/ - everything you wanted to
know about using manual focus lenses with EF-mount cameras.

Oh, by the way, in the Zeiss site I have read that Braun has presented a low
cost film camera which uses the C/Y mount, you may be interested in it?
Look under www.zeiss.com

N.F.
Old January 18th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Thanks. Very interesting links!
I agree that small-format digital cameras have problems with wide
angle.
Unfortunately, the D5 still costs more than three times more than than
the other options :-(

But your note on the bight viewfinder of the D5 is very comforting!

Piersante

Old January 19th 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Huh? You've got the smoothest path around. Get a Contax to EOS
adapters for your lenses and a Canon 5D.

Well, to me the smoothest path would have been just a Contax databack
with a digital sensor in place of the film plate, a mechanical dial to
set the speed (it it was not possible to sense it from the camera
controls), and a wireless gizmo (such as bluetooth) to send the
pictures to my palm for display :-)

But I admit that this is unrealistic...

I sure should have a look to the D5

thanks
Piersante

Old January 19th 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Also, there are split-screen mirrors for the bigger Canons (1Ds) for easier
using of manual focus lenses, probably we'll see similar items for the 5D
(which *can* change focusing screens).

I just discovered in a recent post that www.katzeyeoptics.com also
makes a split-screen for the 350D as well. The Oly E300 (but not the
E500) also is reported in a previous post to have decent manual-focus
capabilities, and maybe could be an affordable option while waiting for
the prices to go down (although then I would also get at least their
18-54 F2.8 in place of the kit lens, and that is quite expensive)

thanks
Piersante

Old January 19th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Piesse wrote:

I just discovered in a recent post that www.katzeyeoptics.com also
makes a split-screen for the 350D as well. The Oly E300 (but not the
E500) also is reported in a previous post to have decent manual-focus
capabilities, and maybe could be an affordable option while waiting for
the prices to go down (although then I would also get at least their
18-54 F2.8 in place of the kit lens, and that is quite expensive)

Hmm, besides losing wide angle coverage (the reason d'?tre for the interest
in Zeiss lenses for many people), you'll have to contend with rather dark
and small viewfinders in the cheap dSLRs. Try some of these models
yourself, compare with your Contax.

I don't think these focusing screens will be easy to install as well in
cameras smaller than the 5D (installation is an additional cost).

N.F.