Film is obselete?

Old November 28th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Nicholas O. Lindan

Default Film is obselete?

Although it's possible for an LF camera to use an electronic shutter
I've never seen an electronic shutter for an LF camera. Same goes
with light meters.

Sinar makes/made both: electronic digital auto-aperature
shutters and ttl-exposure meters - a wand with a photocell
that is inserted into the back and moved to the spot to be
metered.

Lenses need to be in special mounts/lensboards to couple to
the shutter. The shutter is behind the lens like a Packard
shutter. The lens aperture mechanism is spring-loaded like
it is on an SLR.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.nolindan.com/da/index.htm

Old December 13th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Aaron

And lo, Doug Robbins emerged from the ether
and spake thus:
No, but spelling is.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, I am thinking of getting a film SLR camera for Christmas this year
and I was kind of worried that maybe soon people won't be selling film
or developing film any more. Is there any chance of the price of film
skyrocketing and the price of developing film skyrocketing?

The guy at the store told me that the only difference now that digital
out is that there isn't as much variety different of film available
anymore. He told me that film costs the same.

Thanks,
Andrew

Whoa there, Doug, his spelling was fine! It was his *grammar* that
could use some work.

--
Aaron
http://www.fisheyegallery.com
Old December 13th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Aaron

And lo, Philip Homburg emerged from the ether
and spake thus:
In article ,
Ric Trexell wrote:
Many people are saying that digital is going to take over completely. At
present I have never seen a digital camera that can take a time exposure of
three or four minutes and if one does exist,

Is 15 minutes long enough?

http://www.naturfotograf.com/D200_rev04.html

I have never heard of one that
can do it without batteries.

Modern film cameras don't work without batteries either.

I have to admit that running out of batteries is a serious risk with
digital cameras. But I tend to run out of film with film cameras. :-(

I have read a lot and asked around a lot about this and it seems that
even Canon's official stance is "we're not sure what will happen," but
I was in Death Valley shooting a long exposure of 20 or 30 minutes
with the 5D and the batteries died before it finished.

Now, that's MY fault for not tossing in a new set before starting,
especially because it was fairly cold out and we all know what the
cold does to battery life. Nevertheless, we finished for the night and
went back to our little hotel, I tossed in new batteries, and lo, that
final exposure had finished and been saved to the card just fine.

So I don't know if there are undocumented considerations taken for
this situation, but running out of battery life does not *necessarily*
mean the end of the world, just don't bet the farm on it.

Old December 13th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

Default Film is obsolete?

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, I am thinking of getting a film SLR camera for Christmas this year
and I was kind of worried that maybe soon people won't be selling film
or developing film any more. Is there any chance of the price of film
skyrocketing and the price of developing film skyrocketing?

The guy at the store told me that the only difference now that digital
out is that there isn't as much variety different of film available
anymore. He told me that film costs the same.

Thanks,
Andrew

Whoa there, Doug, his spelling was fine! It was his *grammar* that
could use some work.

At the risk of continuing a 100+ near troll thread, Doug and quite a few
others commented on the subject line, which I changed by a letter. Don't
quite get the grammatical errors....

--
john mcwilliams