Why Equipment is only half the story

Old May 22nd 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default Why Equipment is only half the story

William Graham wrote:
"That_Rich" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 May 2006 05:51:05 GMT, "D Mac" wrote:

Annika1980 wrote:
I can prove my sanity because have a legal document to refer
to which declares me sane. How many of the rest of you
can prove their sanity?

That is indeed something to be proud of.

Congratulations.... we don't think you're as crazy as you do.

Yeah....I shudder to think that I might have to refer to a document
to assure myself of my own sanity.....:^)

If you spend 3 years photographing dead and maimed people, you might think
you are hardened to the sight of what you see and you might think you'll
escape with your sanity intact... Right up until you get a call at 4AM to
catalogue a deceased rape victim and find on arrival that she was only 4
years old. Some people are better equiped to handle the events of our sick
society than others. My hat goes off to those who can. They have my deepest
respect.

Old May 22nd 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"D Mac" wrote in message

Annika1980 wrote:
I can prove my sanity because have a legal document to refer
to which declares me sane. How many of the rest of you
can prove their sanity?

That is indeed something to be proud of.

Congratulations.... we don't think you're as crazy as you do.

Yeah....I shudder to think that I might have to refer to a document
to assure myself of my own sanity.....:^)

If you spend 3 years photographing dead and maimed people, you might think
you are hardened to the sight of what you see and you might think you'll
escape with your sanity intact... Right up until you get a call at 4AM to
catalogue a deceased rape victim and find on arrival that she was only 4
years old. Some people are better equiped to handle the events of our sick
society than others. My hat goes off to those who can. They have my
deepest
respect.

I agree....I couldn't do that kind of a job, or take care of mistreated
animals, either. It is also one of the reasons why I am an atheist....If I
believed in a God, I would give him/her the finger regularly.........

Old May 22nd 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

D Mac writes:

If you spend 3 years photographing dead and maimed people, you might think
you are hardened to the sight of what you see and you might think you'll
escape with your sanity intact... Right up until you get a call at 4AM to
catalogue a deceased rape victim and find on arrival that she was only 4
years old.

The first experience may be traumatic, but after you've photographed
enough four-year-old rape victims, you'll get used to it.

Old May 22nd 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Mxsmanic wrote:
D Mac writes:

If you spend 3 years photographing dead and maimed people, you might
think you are hardened to the sight of what you see and you might
think you'll escape with your sanity intact... Right up until you
get a call at 4AM to catalogue a deceased rape victim and find on
arrival that she was only 4 years old.

The first experience may be traumatic, but after you've photographed
enough four-year-old rape victims, you'll get used to it.

And you are qualified to declare this...why?

Old May 22nd 06, 05:42 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message
Mxsmanic wrote:
D Mac writes:

If you spend 3 years photographing dead and maimed people, you might
think you are hardened to the sight of what you see and you might
think you'll escape with your sanity intact... Right up until you
get a call at 4AM to catalogue a deceased rape victim and find on
arrival that she was only 4 years old.

The first experience may be traumatic, but after you've photographed
enough four-year-old rape victims, you'll get used to it.

And you are qualified to declare this...why?

Many years ago, a friend of my father's was a police photographer for the
New York City police department. That's what he did. Take pictures of crime
scenes. In those days, he had to make 8 x 10's in black & white out of them
for courtroom use. He used a large format camera.....Like a press
camera....It might have been a speed graphic, but I don't remember for sure.
He also said that he got used to it. There is no way you could do such a job
if you didn't......

Old May 22nd 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number writes:

And you are qualified to declare this...why?

Because I understand how human psychology works.

You can get used to anything, in time. Those who cannot eventually
must quit whatever job brings them into contact with things to which
they cannot adapt.

Old May 23rd 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Annika1980 wrote:
I can prove my sanity because have a legal document to refer
to which declares me sane. How many of the rest of you
can prove their sanity?
That is indeed something to be proud of.

Congratulations.... we don't think you're as crazy as you do.

RP©

Odd isn't it?
I had to have a medical examination 18 years ago which included a mental
assesment before I got a job working as a forensic Photographer. They
happened anually too. There were some pretty sick fellows working in the
morgue. I never did get to understand them but I sure picked up a lot of
respect for the way they coped with the often shocking work they do.
Whatever they get paid, it isn't enough.

And now they're all rich as Croesus, being consultants for the 580 "CSI"
type tv shows.

Even the reference they gave me
when I finally quit, mentioned my sanity.

But how would one know if the writer of such was himself sane??
'
--
john mcwilliams