Canon A610 or Sony W50....Which?

Old March 28th 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Canon A610 or Sony W50....Which?

Just can't decide between the new Sony W50 or the Canon A610.

The Canon has a 4x zoom over the Sony ISO 1000, guess the 4x zoom is
more handier.

Just need one for general purpose use, good at this and good at that,
anything around 5Mpxl or more, any other brand would be considered.

But which one and why..? Thanks

Davy

Old March 28th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Have a look @ Casio Exilim EX-P600. 6mp - loads of pre-sets or total manual
settings - 4 x optical & 4 x digital zoom with a Canon Lens. There are also
a few other more compact Casio's that might suit your needs.

Old March 28th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Davy wrote:
Just can't decide between the new Sony W50 or the Canon A610.

The Canon has a 4x zoom over the Sony ISO 1000, guess the 4x zoom is
more handier.

Just need one for general purpose use, good at this and good at that,
anything around 5Mpxl or more, any other brand would be considered.

But which one and why..? Thanks

Davy

If overall picture quality is an important factor, you should compare
pix at http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
You can select any 2 cameras and put different sample pix side by side.

One of the reasons I picked my Canon A520 over several others was this
comparison.Canon seems to do less built in "enhancing" of the pictures
than other manufacturers do.
One thing you might check on the Sony is the menus. If I remember
right, it was the Sony I looked at where the menus, at least in default
mode, were "one-way", and the EV adjustment was the last item in the
menu. (One-way is when you go into the menu, and when you get to the
last item, it doesn't continue on around back to the first item. You
have to push button all the way back to the beginning or exit. And you
can't go "backwards" to get directly to the last item, like you can in
two-way menus.) This means that the most commonly used adjustment in
the camera, for most of us, was the hardest to get at. I know no one
thinks about user-friendlyness in cell phones, MP3 players, etc.,
anymore, but in a camera, where seconds count, they should. In my A520,
EV adjustment is the first item in the menu. The menus are obviously
arranged so that the more commonly used settings are closest to the
top. And if you need to access a less common adjustment, you can go
backwards through the menu to get to it more quickly, because it's a
two-way menu. Something to consider.
Hope this helps in your world.