Pentax ist DS and RAW - how to view?

Old September 3rd 05, 06:06 PM
luk

Default Pentax ist DS and RAW - how to view?

I haven't been able to view any of the Raw images
I've taken with my Pentax ist DS. Can't do it with
Elements 3. Microsoft Raw Thumbnail viewer doesn't
seem to help. Can't do it with ZoomBrowzer EX.
What will work?

Thanks.

Luk
Old September 3rd 05, 06:26 PM
John Bean

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 13:06:50 -0400, luk
wrote:

I haven't been able to view any of the Raw images
I've taken with my Pentax ist DS. Can't do it with
Elements 3. Microsoft Raw Thumbnail viewer doesn't
seem to help. Can't do it with ZoomBrowzer EX.
What will work?

Elements 3 will work fine as long as you use at least
version 2.4 of the Camera Raw plugin, as will the software
supplied by Pentax with the camera, Raw Shooter Essentials
(free), Irfanview (free)... Need I go on?

--
Regards

John Bean
Old September 3rd 05, 07:52 PM
Al Bogner

luk wrote:

I haven't been able to view any of the Raw images
I've taken with my Pentax ist DS. Can't do it with
Elements 3. Microsoft Raw Thumbnail viewer doesn't
seem to help. Can't do it with ZoomBrowzer EX.
What will work?

http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/

Al

Old September 3rd 05, 08:57 PM
luk

e:

John Bean wrote:
Elements 3 will work fine as long as you use at least
version 2.4 of the Camera Raw plugin, as will the software
supplied by Pentax with the camera, Raw Shooter Essentials
(free), Irfanview (free)... Need I go on?

Thanks. I had been using a card reader, but now I
have switched and have taken three raw files
directly from the Pentax ist DS to the computer (XP).
I am able to view them. However, I'd like to be able
to use Elements 3 to work with them. Elements 3
tells me they are "not the right kind of document".
Therefore I can't pull them up in Elements 3.

You mentioned version 2.4 of the Camera Raw plugin.
I can only assume I don't have it. How do I get it?
Will that solve my problem?

Luk

Old September 3rd 05, 09:10 PM
John Bean

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 15:57:03 -0400, luk
wrote:
You mentioned version 2.4 of the Camera Raw plugin.
I can only assume I don't have it. How do I get it?

Download the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw (now 3.1)
from the downloads area of adobe.com and follow the
installation instructions. Any version from 2.4 onwards will
work with your DS but you may as well use the latest.

Will that solve my problem?

Yes.

--
Regards

John Bean
Old September 3rd 05, 10:02 PM
luk

John Bean wrote:
Download the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw (now 3.1)
from the downloads area of adobe.com and follow the
installation instructions. Any version from 2.4 onwards will
work with your DS but you may as well use the latest.

How about that. It was necessary to use
the search feature at adobe.com to locate
Camera Raw 3.1.

Then switching out the plug-in was an
interesting experience. But hey. It
works. Much obliged.

Luk
Old September 5th 05, 02:22 PM
Walter Mitty

luk wrote:
e:

John Bean wrote:

Elements 3 will work fine as long as you use at least
version 2.4 of the Camera Raw plugin, as will the software
supplied by Pentax with the camera, Raw Shooter Essentials
(free), Irfanview (free)... Need I go on?

Thanks. I had been using a card reader, but now I
have switched and have taken three raw files
directly from the Pentax ist DS to the computer (XP).
I am able to view them. However, I'd like to be able
to use Elements 3 to work with them.

Can you "work" with a RAW file? Should you not convert it to a TIFF first?

--
Walter Mitty
-
Old September 5th 05, 03:38 PM
John Bean

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 15:22:32 +0200, Walter Mitty
wrote:

luk wrote:
e:

John Bean wrote:

Elements 3 will work fine as long as you use at least
version 2.4 of the Camera Raw plugin, as will the software
supplied by Pentax with the camera, Raw Shooter Essentials
(free), Irfanview (free)... Need I go on?

Thanks. I had been using a card reader, but now I
have switched and have taken three raw files
directly from the Pentax ist DS to the computer (XP).
I am able to view them. However, I'd like to be able
to use Elements 3 to work with them.

Can you "work" with a RAW file? Should you not convert it to a TIFF first?

Yes. Not unless you want to.

I capture almost exclusively raw files, I can't remember the
last time I saved anything to TIFF format.

--
Regards

John Bean