Incident Metering and Senics - Oil & Water?

Old May 3rd 04, 12:05 AM
Dan Quinn

Default Incident Metering and Senics - Oil & Water?

I'm not sure at all I want a camera mounted meter. I like to travel
the trail and off trail with tripod and camera in hand.

A spot meter at one time was my sole desire. Now and then I think
back to the days when I used a Weston and did well.

I'm in the woods for most of the pictures I take. Should I look for
an incident meter or one of the Weston types? If an incident will do
are there any tricks for useing when shooting senics?

And of course, what brand/model will do well? Dan
Old May 3rd 04, 01:18 AM
Bill Hilton

From: (Dan Quinn)

I'm not sure at all I want a camera mounted meter.

The more meters you have the better, especially when they actually agree
And having an in-camera meter means you don't have to fiddle around adjusting
the readings if you are using filters, so they have a place.

A spot meter at one time was my sole desire.

I use a Pentax 1 degree spot meter quite a bit, especially with medium format
when the scene has important non-midtone values or for checking the contrast
range in a scene, but often I find it just agrees with the in-camera meter. My
flash meter has an incident meter mode as well but I use it mainly for
portraits, etc where you are in close to the subject. I find it's less useful
in the field, compared to the spot meter.

I'm in the woods for most of the pictures I take. Should I look for
an incident meter or one of the Weston types? If an incident will do
are there any tricks for useing when shooting senics?

The biggest problem with using an incident meter for landscapes is sometimes
you can't put the meter where the subject is. No problem if the light is very
even, but a problem if the light is different where you are standing compared
to what you are shooting, or if shooting in rapidly changing light, like a
clearing storm. Or in contrasty light like you often get "in the woods", where
you are likely worried about the shadows blocking up or the highlights burning
too hot. That's why I prefer a spot meter instead of an incident meter for
landscapes, you can easily check for these conditions, even from a distance.

And of course, what brand/model will do well?

Gossen and Sekonic are the two biggest names and either does fine. The latest
Sekonic is getting rave reviews but is pretty heavy and bulky. The Luna Pro is
the classic standard and much smaller and lighter.

Bill
Old May 3rd 04, 02:58 PM
jjs

"Dan Quinn" wrote in message
om...
I'm not sure at all I want a camera mounted meter. I like to travel
the trail and off trail with tripod and camera in hand.

A spot meter at one time was my sole desire. Now and then I think
back to the days when I used a Weston and did well.

If you did well with a Weston back then, you can do well with a Weston
again.

Old May 5th 04, 04:56 AM
Frank Pittel

Dan Quinn wrote:
: I'm not sure at all I want a camera mounted meter. I like to travel
: the trail and off trail with tripod and camera in hand.

: A spot meter at one time was my sole desire. Now and then I think
: back to the days when I used a Weston and did well.

: I'm in the woods for most of the pictures I take. Should I look for
: an incident meter or one of the Weston types? If an incident will do
: are there any tricks for useing when shooting senics?

You could always get a dual meter like the Sekonic 558 and have the best
of both worlds. Me I like using spot meters for everything but when using
studio lights.

: And of course, what brand/model will do well? Dan

-------------------

Old May 5th 04, 04:01 PM
Jeremy

"Frank Pittel" wrote in message
Dan Quinn wrote:
: I'm not sure at all I want a camera mounted meter. I like to travel
: the trail and off trail with tripod and camera in hand.

: A spot meter at one time was my sole desire. Now and then I think
: back to the days when I used a Weston and did well.

: I'm in the woods for most of the pictures I take. Should I look for
: an incident meter or one of the Weston types? If an incident will do
: are there any tricks for useing when shooting senics?

You could always get a dual meter like the Sekonic 558 and have the best
of both worlds. Me I like using spot meters for everything but when using
studio lights.

: And of course, what brand/model will do well? Dan

The manual for my 40+ year-old Sekonic "Brockway" incident meter gives the
following advice:

"Consistently fine exposures on landscapes may be achieved by a slight
variation in the normal method of using the Brockway which will compensate
for side and backlighted scenes. Take one reading in the normal way with
the Photosphere facing away from the scene, then take a second reading with
the Photosphere pointed directly at the sun. Set your exposure directly
between these two readings."

Old May 6th 04, 03:26 AM
Frank Pittel

Jeremy wrote:

: "Frank Pittel" wrote in message
: ...
:
[...]

I've noticed from Sekonic's website that they push incident metering. As I've
said many times I prefer using spotmeters.

-------------------

Old May 6th 04, 04:21 AM
Jeremy

"Frank Pittel" wrote in message

I've noticed from Sekonic's website that they push incident metering. As

I've
said many times I prefer using spotmeters.

I believe that the Brockway was their first incident light meter. Their
entire user manual features studio setups. It is apparent that they were
marketing that meter toward portrait / studio photographers.

The meter does come with something called a Photogrid, which can be used to
point tie sensor directly at the subject and take a reflected metering, so
they seem to admit, if only tacitly, that there ARE situations where a
reflected-type meter might be more appropriate.

As I do primarily print work, with color negative film's wider exposure
latitude as compared to chrome's, I haven't had any problem using the
Brockway meter. On critical shots, I just bracket one stop in each
direction.

I remember when I used to use the suggested shutter speed/f-stops based on
the manufacturers' recommendations on the film package, and I still got
decently-exposed negs! (I'm still trying to define what Kodak called
"Cloudy-Bright").

I'm a creature of habit. The Brockway has served me well for nearly 4
decades, and I just don't see any need to switch horses now . . . Heck, I
still shoot with my Yashica Model A TLR, from 1958! Stopped down to f/8,
the images are pretty good.

Old May 6th 04, 06:57 AM
Frank Pittel

Jeremy wrote:

[...]

I agree that for studio work with strobes that incident metering is the way to go.

-------------------

Old May 6th 04, 10:44 PM
Dan Quinn

(Dan Quinn) wrote

I'm not sure at all I want a camera mounted meter. I like to travel
the trail and off trail with tripod and camera in hand.

A spot meter at one time was my sole desire. Now and then I think
back to the days when I used a Weston and did well.

I'm in the woods for most of the pictures I take. Should I look for
an incident meter or one of the Weston types? If an incident will do
are there any tricks for useing when shooting senics?

And of course, what brand/model will do well? Dan

Four years ago I decided I should take my on and off trail trecks
more seriously so I switched from 35mmm to 6x4.5. Save for lens focal
lengths and speed I'd have chosen 6x6. For my purposes the 6x4.5 is
a bother. The always upright, in the field and in the darkroom,
nature of the 6x6 format is much more quick and convenient.
BUT, I was eBay ignorant and unaware of the Mamiya 6x7s
and there revolveing backs. So now I've an RB ProS with the nifty
1.414 lens ratios; one each 65mm, 90mm, and 127mm. I also am
putting a RZ system togeather. Those two, the Mamiya 6x7s,
as well as the 6x6s stay on top of the tripod. Of course
the 6x6 remains the quickest to use of all camera
formats whatever the occasion.

The ETRSi's AEIII metering prism has proven to be a pain in
the neck so I bought the rotory. Much better but no meter. I put
my Olympus C-2040 to the task. At telephoto it's spot mode
is quite tight. Once again metering proved to be a bother.
Three day ago I took my eBay Sekonic L-228 into the woods
and stream filled gorges. It's 8 degree coverage was very usefull.
Now I'm on the right track using camera independent metering.
I compose the scene then meter. I'm shopping for an incident
meter or two to try. One will likely be a Weston with
Invercone. Dan