Epson 3800 and HP Z3100 printer reviews

Old January 20th 07, 06:45 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
MarkČ

Default Epson 3800 and HP Z3100 printer reviews

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
MarkČ wrote:

I did say in the first paragraph "This is not an even comparison, as
the Epson 3800 and the HP Z3100 are very different printers. But I
could not resist it.

Resist next time...
-On the other hand, don't take Douglas' rant too hard...since he has
about as much credibility around here as Milli Vanilli has for
vocals.

LOLOL Agreed (about resisting next time).
I've further revised the head to head to spell out just why and what I
was interested in.

There is an interesting side to this, and I'll do a followup piece on
it. And that is that I often see people on a couple of other lists I
am on debating whether they can get away with a printer like the 3800
(or even 2800) or whether they need to go to something like the 7800
or Z3100. Now of course there is really no comparison between the
two: the paper handling options, width, ink capacity and likely
longevity and ease of service make a Z3100 far superior. But in terms
of print quality they can be VERY close, so it depends on what people
are looking for.

I think the more ligical alternative to the 3800 is the 4800. It can use
110ml and/or 220ml ink carts, and is built to true industrial standards.

But of course the prints look very similar. -The 7800 adds ONLY width
capacity over the 4800, and shouldn't be expected to deliver better prints
at the same size.
www.pbase.com/markuson

Old January 20th 07, 07:09 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Wayne J. Cosshall

MarkČ wrote:

I think the more ligical alternative to the 3800 is the 4800. It can use
110ml and/or 220ml ink carts, and is built to true industrial standards.

But of course the prints look very similar. -The 7800 adds ONLY width
capacity over the 4800, and shouldn't be expected to deliver better prints
at the same size.

In fact I have a theory that within a printer range with consistent head
design, the highest print quality may be with the smaller printer,
assuming other things remain the same, like print head resolution, etc,
because you would expect they could make a printer more accurate when
the moving parts cover less distance. I'll setup a test and see.

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Old January 20th 07, 10:19 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Douglas

"Wayne J. Cosshall" wrote in message
: MarkČ wrote:
:
[...]

-------------------------
You are right about the size/quality issue Wayne. I have several HP
designjets and 2 Epson photo printers. The r2400 does a way nicer print than
the 7800 but then it is an absolute pig at handling roll paper and it costs
about 60% more for ink carts on a ml/dollar basis and absolutely pours it on
to boot. I only use it in one instance now and this year is slated to be
replaced with a chemical printer.

The single most economical printer I have owned in the past 4 years is a HP
designjet 130. This machine was a dye ink printer but it produced colour as
good as any Epson of the day. It too had woeful paper handling.

The Canon 44" I bought last year lasted a mere 3 month before getting dumped
in favour of another designjet. The 7800 Epson spits ink all over a page
just as it gets to the last few inches of a 6 feet long print, ruining it in
the process. The single most expensive to run, wide format printer I have
ever owned.

Drop in to one of my print centres if you ever come to Queensland and see
first hand which ones are the cheapest to run... Use my measuring gear to
check the prints scientifically too.

Mark square head is typical of every American I have ever met. Over bearing,
outspoken, ill informed and unwilling to accept that anyone outside the USA
has ever had an original idea or can do anything as well or better than a
yank.

Yankee go home should read Yankee stay home in his case. He's an
embarrassment to the male of his species (whatever it is and it sure isn't
human) and his country.
--

Australian Wedding Photography between Kempsy, NSW and Sunshine Coast.
http://www.photosbydouglas.com

Old January 20th 07, 12:15 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Daryl Bryant

snip

The Canon 44" I bought last year lasted a mere 3 month before getting

dumped
in favour of another designjet. The 7800 Epson spits ink all over a page
just as it gets to the last few inches of a 6 feet long print, ruining it

in
the process. The single most expensive to run, wide format printer I have
ever owned.

I have both the Epson 4800 as well as the 9800 - to control the ink, I use
a ColorBurst rip. - http://www.colorburstrip.com/cbpro.html

Old January 20th 07, 01:00 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
MarkČ

MarkČ wrote:

[...]

Quote me, Douglas. I've NEVER asserted such an idea. Never. I'd be the
first to admist that the US has no corner on genius. -That's just the
little green man in your head talking again...

Yankee go home should read Yankee stay home in his case. He's an
embarrassment to the male of his species (whatever it is and it sure
isn't human) and his country.

Ha ha! Oh Douglas... Surely America isn't the only country with people who
call it as they see it...which is what I did in your case. You heavily
slammed the OP, and I gave you a small bit of your own medicine. Can't take
it? -Don't dish it, chum.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old January 20th 07, 01:17 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Wayne J. Cosshall

Douglas wrote:

-------------------------
[...]

Hi Douglas,

Thanks for sharing your printer experiences. And the invite. I will next
time I am up in QLD.

Re your American comments, I must say I have lots of American friends
who are dear to me and lovely people.

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Old January 20th 07, 07:44 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
John McWilliams

Douglas wrote:
How on God's earth can you expect to be taken seriously when you .... Snipped bits out

continue to top post?

--
lsmft
Old January 20th 07, 08:00 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Smitty

Why does everyone get so damn anal about "top posting"???? It's as if
someone committed a damn crime for Christ's sake. Geez, can't you scroll up
(or down) with a mouse? GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"John McWilliams" wrote in message
. ..

Old January 20th 07, 08:02 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
MarkČ

Douglas wrote:
How on God's earth can you expect to be taken seriously when you
.... Snipped bits out

continue to top post?

--
lsmft

Why does everyone get so damn anal about "top posting"???? It's as if
someone committed a damn crime for Christ's sake. Geez, can't you
scroll up (or down) with a mouse? GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not about scrolling. It's simply about knowing exactly what a person's
comments are responding to.
This becomes especially important in conversations between several people,
where there are many comments about portions of other posts.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old January 20th 07, 08:05 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
G.T.

Smitty wrote:
Why does everyone get so damn anal about "top posting"???? It's as if
someone committed a damn crime for Christ's sake. Geez, can't you scroll up
(or down) with a mouse? GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

moronic grasp Obviously can't picture the big posters top.

Greg
--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine